TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2012 Theme Park Attendance Report

I expect the Hollywood version of Potter to be successful because of the large local and regional population base.

Totally agreed. Despite all of the additions to the Orlando property over the last few years I still think USH is Universals flagship park in the US, mainly due to the "studios" component.

While I get why you would want to think and hope that, with the studios there and the NBC Universal building there, the numbers and the growth at other parks, IMO, puts the Hollywood park #3 behind Orlando and even Japan.

Sure, Hollywood has it's limitations due to being land-locked, but you can't deny that doing a 1:1 comparison of what is built at the Hollywood park versus the others just don't quite compare. Just look at the attention given to Transformers in Orlando and Singapore versus Hollywood, and same with the Potter expansion in Japan and Orlando versus Hollywood.

Don't even get me started about Mummy!

Hollywood is a nice park, don't get me wrong, but a "Flagship", I don't see it. "Headquarters", perhaps, but isn't even most of Universal Attractions creative done out of Orlando now?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Disney did around 54 million in attendance in Orlando alone, and 126 million at their parks worldwide? What recession?

I was listening to TSP about a year ago and they were talking about how theme parks were beginning to report pretty strong numbers considering that we were (and still are) in a recession and that because of this, we can conclude that the economy will be getting stronger soon. It turned out to be true a year later.

It would be interesting to actually see how they calculate attendance at the parks. I understand Disney does not provide attendance figures so that means other data has to be used.

What I'm finding interesting, is that I just got back from a Florida Attractions Association conference, where everyone is sitting here raving about how 2012 was the best season in years. It's interesting how the non-park attractions are soaring in record attendance, in some cases 14-20% up, and the other Orlando based parks are only around 2-4%. There are talks that we're finally seeing tourism numbers return to, if not beat, pre-recession levels. I feel like people are returning to their normal travel plans, but still watching their wallets, and maybe spending less time at the bigger, more expensive, attractions and more time sightseeing at other area attractions.

I kind of expected to see the Orlando park's attendance increase higher than it was. I'll be interested to see if it increases more for the current season.

I found the inclusion of museums interesting, just as a fascinating aside.

Wouldn't Six Flags love to have just one park over the 3 million attendance mark (CF has 3 seasonals and one year round park)? I'm sure YOLO coaster will send SFMM surging to number one park in the world as the masses flock, because YOLO, like, you know.

Interesting to see the spikes USH has got in the last couple of years, didn't King Kong 3D also have a correspondingly large attendance spike? And they must be getting extraordinary numbers for HHN, though I don't think they could fit any more in from the previous year .

MEMO to Knotts: add major attraction...

Edited by downunder

19 SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN Valencia, CA, U.S.A. 4.0% 2,808,000 2,700,000

20 SEAWORLD SAN ANTONIO, TX San Antonio, TX, U.S.A. 3.0% 2,678,000 2,600,000

Nice to see Sea World San Antonio in the top 20 US parks. I wonder how SFFT compares to them since they're open about the same amount of time through the year.

Hollywood is a nice park, don't get me wrong, but a "Flagship", I don't see it. "Headquarters", perhaps, but isn't even most of Universal Attractions creative done out of Orlando now?

The entire Parks & Resorts division has their headquarters in Orlando. Not just creative! So yeah, USH is definitely not the "flagship."

I feel like Thorpe Park could bring in some more tourists and improve on the -10% if it just offered some sort of decent public transportation to the park. Whether you are tourist or local that would be helpful. A direct link to Thorpe from central London could improve their attendance significantly.

I found the public transit to Thorpe from Central London to be pretty good; short train ride from London to Staines and an express bus to Thorpe. Pretty much what I expect for transit options to theme parks.

As for museums, I'm surprised that the Ontario Science Centre gets more visitors than the ROM. Granted, I haven't been to the Science Centre in years, so perhaps they've added new exhibits that have helped it out. I'll hopefully go this summer to check out the video game exhibit.

^Yeah, they need an Intamin hyper.

Canada's Wonderland does so well and they so many awful coasters SLC, Volare, Boomerang etc (and a some good ones).

I've heard that Knott's is CF's most profitable park, is that true?

^^Also considering Knotts is open all year would help. Plus, property tax and taxes in general in Ontario are unbelievably high compared to anywhere in the states. So the expenses at CW would be alot higher.

^I don't know how many people show up to Haunt at Knotts, but I've been to Haunt at CW multiple times and the park is packed. I've waited up to an hour for some mazes. Idk what it's like at Knotts, but CW probably racks in a hefty profit from Haunt too.

Canada's Wonderland has kept the highest attendance of any regional park in North America long before CF purchased it. Seeing staying at the top is no big surprise. I'm pretty sure all the capital CF's investing in the park is definitely helping it keep its crown.

^^^I've heard Knott's get something like 25% of their annual revenue from haunt, not verified, but I could believe that. Scary Farm and HHN get huge crowds and good on them, they put on great haunts. I'd love to know what kind of numbers Hollywood HHN gets (I know you can't reveal that Jew).