TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Would you boycott a park?

Hi everyone. I know I've been lurking as of late, (darn work...) but I've run across something that actually has to do with theme parks and social issues at work.

I won't get into details of a boycott that is currently underway, so that you may remain objective, and I'm not here to try and make any statements. And if you know of any such boycotts, please keep them to yourself, this thread is not about that.

My questions are mainly for people over the age of 18. (ie. the minimum age our newspaper is geared toward)

If a parent company of a park did something that was extraordinarily controversial, or against something you were passionate about, publicized enough that there is a boycott called via an organization you support or agree with, would you avoid that park until the situation was rectified? This could be social, political, religious, anything important to you.

Would you just visit another park/not make a park trip, or just continue to visit the park in question as an enthusiast?

What I would find even more interesting, is how would R&E respond to this as a concierge. Would you avoid parks to avoid controversy?

Thanks for your help! I will ask permission of any quotes I'd like to use before a final story is created.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a hard situation to be hypothetical about. I certainly avoid places that I don't agree with their parent company values (Domino's, Blockbuster, and ChickFilA come to mind) but there are sometimes that you can't really avoid a place due to your own needs or the needs of the people you serve.

For example on one of our tours, I may hate or have issue with a certain park/restaurant/hotel/bus company/etc., but I will do what's best for the overall of my group and put my own beliefs aside.

This is an interesting question. I would say that yes, I would boycott a park if their parent company did something I found to be reprehensible. I have given up Chic-Fil-A (even though it's soooooo good) because their anti-gay agenda is so at odds with my values that I can't justify spending my money with them. Same with Lowes. It would be much harder for me to give up an amusement park I liked, but the principle is the same so I'd just have to go without that park.

I can see, however, why it wouldn't as simple for Elissa, for example, to make a decision like that as her involvement with TPR wouldn't really permit her being quite so picky. I certainly wouldn't begrudge her for that.

It would probably take something majorly controversial for me to boycott a park. I think It's OK to disagree to parent company values to a certain extent, just as it's perfectly OK to disagree with a friend or other people. It's only when someone takes a hardline stance and tries to be argumentative or confrontational that I would avoid them.

As an quick and dirty example, there are some parks that obviously have a somewhat Christian background (Silver Dollar City, Dollywood), but as long as those parks don't plaster billboards throughout the park condemning athiests, muslims or whomever or try to convert people in the loading stations, I don't think there's any reason why non-Christians should boycott. Obviously this is a rather tame example, so take it for what it's worth.

For the most part I try to follow the philosophy of live and let live, but it would depend on the severity of the controversy.

Unlikely only because there are so few parks around compared to other types of businesses so it's more difficult to stop going to a park. What I would probably do if it was a local park I had a problem with would be to buy a season pass and just not spend any money in the park.

^^ I see what you're saying. I'm an atheist and have no problem with Dollywood/SDC being a "Christian company". I'm referring specifically to companies that donate money or endorsements to a cause I'm opposed to, or do something discriminitory. For example, I will not spend money at Chic-fil-A, as they have donated millions of dollars to anti-gay organizations, they sponsored a "marriage conference" that sought to oppose marriage equality, and in 2002, they fired a Muslim employee because he refused to take part in an employee prayer. I feel that spending my money with them is like giving money to anti-gay organizations, or funding an entity that discriminates against people based on religion.

So if a park were to do something similar, I wouldn't spend money there. Luckily this has never happened (that I know of!)

Edited by jzoole

This is an interesting question, but I would be surprised to ever encounter this situation from a park or chain. A park's goal is to have as many guests visit as possible, and I would imagine they'd always try to be apolitical and non-controversial. Perhaps certain American state employment laws (fire at will, human rights not being covered, etc.) would annoy me, but I haven't heard of anything in particular that would turn me away thus far.

The closest I've ever come to getting annoyed by a park was a certain park in Indiana where some of the employees were cleared disgruntled Republicans with a strong dislike to Mr. Obama, but as a non-American that's none of my business!

The closest I've ever come to getting annoyed by a park was a certain park in Indiana where some of the employees were cleared disgruntled Republicans with a strong dislike to Mr. Obama, but as a non-American that's none of my business!

There are plenty of clear headed and disgruntled Democrats with a strong dislike for Mr. Obama, also.

I don't really boycott parks. I have boycott some fast food places however (Wendy's, Lone Star, White Castle, In N' Out, Fuddruckers, Etc.) as I was very underwhelmed with their service.

Oh wait a minute, I boycott Dutch Wonderland. WORST Guest relations EVER! I have a story that would blow your pants off.

As as consumer, I would more likely boycott a park (or any business for that matter) over their business practices than for any political or social causes they may or may not support.

I can name one chain whose business practices, involving mutilating the queue line of a certain coaster and then operating the coaster in a way that is clearly not the way it was intended to be operated, and on top of that, jacking up their prices to a level greater than some people's annual income, caused me to boycott them, but I'll leave the identity of that chain a mystery. Other than that chain, I wouldn't boycott any amusement park that I haven't gotten the credits at.

I probably wouldn't boycott a park if its parent company did something I disagreed with, simply because my dollars going into that one location suddenly drying up is likely to go completely unnoticed by the company. The larger the company, the less of an impact a boycott would make anyway. The end result is that I'd deny myself some fun while the company would go about its business totally unaware that there were any repercussions from their business decisions. I also realize that a boycott is much more likely to hurt the local park in that chain, which is probably run by folks who dislike the parent company's crap as much as I do. They suffer while the parent company barely notices.

What I'm much more likely to do is write a letter to the company explaining my opinion and distaste at their actions. If I do this (as well as the other members of the group that supports a boycott), then the company IS likely to notice that their customers aren't happy.

This all changes, of course, if the offending business practice is done at the local level. Let's say, for instance, that Cliff's in New Mexico does something heinous with their money and I'm appalled. Now it's the actual park that's pulling the strings and making the decisions and a boycott will make a much bigger difference, due to the smaller scale. I'd likely support such a boycott, since it could be effective. I'd STILL write the letter as well, though.

The catalyst to this kind of thinking is the Chick-Fil-A problem. The parent company gives money to organizations that are very anti-gay, but my local restaurant is filled with nice folks who aren't anti-gay at all and who don't agree with what corporate does. Still, they need their jobs, they're nice folks, and they serve great food. I'll admit that I don't go there very often any more, but I don't avoid it entirely.

My answer is no. I'm personally not into the whole boycotting thing, as I simply don't allow politics to ruin my own enjoyment of any company's product(s). I've heard the Chik-Fil-A example mentioned, so I'll use that. To me, the place makes great fast food that I enjoy. It personally doesn't bother me that a small percentage of upper management decides to allocate funds for whatever political or social agenda they may have.

For every misguided CEO, there's a million other people who I may also disagree with on any given subject. Plus, just because "X Company" is said to support "X Cause" doesn't represent the entirety of their workforce; many of whom are hardworking, honest people just trying to make a living (as mentioned in the post above). Therefore, my own disagreement with upper management's views really doesn't mean much, and holding back my money for their value meal doesn't change a whole lot in the world around me. I'd rather just have my chicken biscuit and continue on my merry way.

Also, how do I know what every other company in the world actually does with their profits? To me, it's worthless to worry about it. It helps avoid stress.