TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official Android Discussion Thread

Jew

Since there is already an iPhone thread, why not an Android one too?

If you do have an android phone, which one is it? And did you root? What rom are you running if you did? What apps do you recommend?

I'm still using an original droid rooted, overclocked to 1gHz, and running Cyanogen Mod 7.1.

Also, who is buying a Galaxy Nexus?

http://www.google.com/nexus/

Side note: lets not turn this into a Android vs. iPhone debate thread. They are both great operating systems running on great hardware!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more concerned about what Android's next version is going to be named. What desserts start with the letter J? Jelly?

Jellybean, Jello

Anyway, I have a rooted HTC Inspire, over clocked to 1.5 gHz , running CyanogenMod 7.1

I'm looking forward to the Galaxy Nexus along with Ice Cream Sandwich!

I currently have a Thunderbolt, unrooted and (FINALLY) running on Gingerbread (and just in time for ICS to get announced...) I'd love to go out and get a Rezound next month, but these 2-year contracts keep holding me back!

*Edit: Make that a Razr. I think I'm pretty tired of HTC not supporting their phones, unlike Motorola who pushed their OG Droid all the way up to Froyo, IIRC.

The only problem I am having with HTC right now is that they are uncertain whether or not they should update their phones to ICS because of Sense and if ICS has enough "features " to make it worth it. In my opinion, Sense takes up way to much memory, and *only* Sense could make a 1.2 dual core processor lag like on the EVO 3D/Sensation.

And to anyone who has thought about rooting, it's not for everyone. Make sure you know the consequences if you mess anything up during root.

I currently have a Thunderbolt, unrooted and (FINALLY) running on Gingerbread (and just in time for ICS to get announced...) I'd love to go out and get a Rezound next month, but these 2-year contracts keep holding me back!

*Edit: Make that a Razr. I think I'm pretty tired of HTC not supporting their phones, unlike Motorola who pushed their OG Droid all the way up to Froyo, IIRC.

The droid is the only phone they did that for because it was stock android. Every other motorola phone since has had a locked bootloader and motorola's "blur" UI overlay/bloatware included.

^True, but none of those phones have been true stock android. They all have the "motoblur" interface that you can't get rid of. And the updates have been much slower (Droid 2 took a year to get Gingerbread, Droid X 7 months).

I guess as long as you don't intend to root and don't mind the "bloat" of motoblur and all the other apps Verizon pre-installs on your phone, motorola phones are not a bad choice. They are well built (my Droid has been dropped so many times), and you will eventually get an update or two before they move on to their next phone and stop supporting yours.

HTC has now begun allowing people to unlock their phones bootloaders, so with any new HTC phone you are free to do whatever you want with your phone! Can't say the same about Motorola.

^Right. Sorry, misinterpreted what you meant. Honestly, I've come to deal with the bloatware that HTC and Verizon jammed on my phone. And I might be in the minority, but I actually switched back from my third-party launchers to Sense because I actually like the interface better than anything else. I guess I'm just used to it at this point.

And Motorola said they're going to be unlocking bootloaders by the end of the year...but then I'm pretty sure they just announced that the Razr will be locked. So who knows when they'll follow through...

I'm going to need a new phone sooner or later - do any of the Verizon Android devices run something similar to Blackberry's SuteType? I'd consider getting a smartphone again if I could do that - it works great for my fat fingers, and, honestly, I really only need my phone for texting since I'm usually near a computer and I have a Ipod touch for "fun" (so I'm also considering getting something a step or two up from a burner with no data plan)

Well I gave in and finally rooted my Droid X. I've now got it running on a MIUI rom. So far I'm thrilled with the results, my phone is running much better then it has over the past 6 months. The GB update on the X has been nothing short of a nightmare, it slowed my phone down, caused it to have random reboots, loss of services, and a whole host of other problems. Since switching the phone onto MIUI I've had a much more stable device that runs a lot faster. Battery life is my only real gripe but that has been a problem since I got the phone.

I got a Samsung Fascinate back in February, and being as it's the first cell phone I've ever had, so far so good. It has froze up in camera mode once or twice, but it handles the Internet reasonably well (3G).

Can some of you android peps quickly talk me through the evolution and lifespan of the various OS iterations that Android has? Is it ICS we're at now? How often do they release a new OS? Is it back compatible with all the hardware or does it depend on your manufacturer? Are some of the OS's designed specifically for some handsets? I'm aware that different carriers have different skins that they use for the UI, is that because they want to dedifferentiate their devices or do they not like Google's stock skin (if there is one?)

I'm just an iPhone guy who is pretty interested to understand the world of Android and how it differs! Any answers would be awesome!

Dave

Can some of you android peps quickly talk me through the evolution and lifespan of the various OS iterations that Android has? Is it ICS we're at now? How often do they release a new OS? Is it back compatible with all the hardware or does it depend on your manufacturer? Are some of the OS's designed specifically for some handsets? I'm aware that different carriers have different skins that they use for the UI, is that because they want to dedifferentiate their devices or do they not like Google's stock skin (if there is one?)

I'm just an iPhone guy who is pretty interested to understand the world of Android and how it differs! Any answers would be awesome!

Dave

Sure, I would be glad to give you some answers:

First off, every Android version is given a dessert codename in alphabetical order (except Android 1.0 and 1.1);

1.5 = Cupcake

1.6 = Donut

2.0/2.1 = Eclair (Introduced on the Google Nexus One in January 2010)

2.2 = Froyo (Frozen Yogurt) (May 2010)

2.3 = Gingerbread (Introduced on the Google Nexus S in December 2010)

3.0/3.1/3.2 = Honeycomb (Introduced on the Motorola Xoom at CES 2011, Released in February)

4.0 = Ice Cream Sandwich (Introduced on Google Galaxy Nexus, Set to launch in Europe November 17th, 2011)

Every Android phone is theoretically able to handle 1 1/2 to 2 years in upgrades, If the manufacturer chooses to take the time to make sure the device is able to handle the upgrade. Most Android phone manufacturers (not carriers) have their own skin (HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz, Motorola Applications Platform, etc) which takes longer to upgrade because they have to make sure the skin works with the OS. Also, the carrier has to approve the upgrade and push it out to the users. This is a problem with Android, it's called fragmentation. For example, Samsung's Galaxy S phones either launched with 2.1 or 2.2, nearly all of them have 2.2 now (which was released in May 2010) but only some have gotten upgraded to 2.3, This failure is because Samsung had moved on to other projects, essentially leaving these products without upgrades. So now we have these 1 year old phones, that are stuck on 2.2, when 4.0 is about to come out.

Some little tidbits:

- Google does have a stock skin, it is used on every Nexus device and some other phones as well.

- 3.0 Honeycomb was strictly for tablets only, so 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is the merging point for the phone and tablets, with it working on both phones and tablets

- Ice Cream Sandwich has support for physical navigational buttons, but like on the Galaxy Nexus, they are part of the OS at the bottom of the screen. Google has said ICS should theoretically work on any 2.3 device, If the manufacturer chooses to upgrade them.

- About 30-40% of Android phones are still on Froyo. Most of them will not be upgraded anymore.

If you have anymore questions, or are still unclear on some information, feel free to ask!

Manufacturers custom skin=bloatware to sell you more crap. It's both a blessing and a curse android is open source. Since Google is really only interested in getting user data/selling mobile ads, they aren't too concerned with controlling the OS. So manufacturers/carriers are slow to update the phones in order to put all their custom junk/extra apps you don't want on there.

Thankfully on the flip side, android has a huge hacking community. My original, 2 year old Droid is running the newest version of Gingerbread and overclocked to 1gHz thanks to a 3rd party mod. Motorola/Verizon never bothered to update it past version 2.2.

'

• 1 year later...

That's the thing, all my friends that have Android friends are non-stop bragging about how much better they are, how they have everything, etc. I agree that a lot of iPhone users are oblivious to features that have been around for a while with Android, Panoramic photos for example, but my Android friends are non-stop bringing it up. Maybe it's just my friends.

That's the thing, all my friends that have Android friends are non-stop bragging about how much better they are, how they have everything, etc. I agree that a lot of iPhone users are oblivious to features that have been around for a while with Android, Panoramic photos for example, but my Android friends are non-stop bringing it up. Maybe it's just my friends.

You need better friends...ones without Androids!