TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football 2011

stingrock23

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^Actually the ticket sales don't matter as much as many, since the attending teams are forced to buy a certain allotment at full price. However, the bowl committees are pretty much obligated to choose the teams that bring the highest spending fans in order to pump up revenue for bars, restaurants, hotels, parking lots, etc... who in turn supply the donations to the "not for profit" bowl committee to overpay their bowl executives.

Matt Barkley for Heisman!!

(Has no interest in this years bowls, but am already eagerly anticipating what should be the long overdue USC vs. SEC champ BCS title game next season!)

P.S.: screw the NCAA.

Edited by Jew

^yeah, it's kind of disgusting how bad the system has become. I mean I am NOT a fan of Boise State and am usually the first one to throw them under a bus in any kind of contender argument but they definitely had more business in a BCS game this year than Michigan or Virginia Tech. I thought that any school from a non AQ conference ranked in the top 12 automatically got a BCS bid anyways? And among teams with 2 losses Arkansas might have had a better resume than Michigan or Va Tech, but bowls don't matter for anything other than selling tickets and hotel rooms.

Top 12 non AQ teams automatically get a bid if they win their conference. TCU won the Mountain West. Arkansas problem is the stupid two bids per conference rule.

• 3 weeks later...

^^Ditto. The only thing I enjoy about the BCS is that it matches up teams that would otherwise normally not meet, which sometimes produces good games (USC vs. Texas, Boise vs Oklahoma come to mind). But a playoff system would also accomplish that...

I just miss when it was easy to keep up with all the bowl games and New Years Day was reserved for a full day of college football!

^Just to point out again how lame the lack of a playoff system is. OSU's offense would have given either one of those teams fits.

On the bright side, LSU's poor showing combined with Bama's "offense" (especially if Trent Richardson goes pro) should make USC the preseason #1 next season. Now I can only hope they don't blow it...

Edited by Jew

The teams aside - This game had the lowest BCS TV rating ever. Which I think is code for "We dont want to see a rematch - even if it is the best two teams"

More proof we need a new system. I watched zero games because nothing interested me at all. Playoff? Id be watching every single game. Would be riveting to see who went where after each win. This system is flawed and worthless.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2012/01/bcs-championship-game-draws-lowest-ratings-ever.html

That and the NCAA needs to be overthrown by someone who will do the investigations into school problems (or NCAA problems) separatly. Investigating the very schools that make up the NCAA (by the NCAA) is clearly a conflict of interest. Especially when each decision has the power to either help or cripple the NCAA's profits. Lots of changes before I invest into college football again.

^^ESPN is on every basic cable package. It's safe to say that PLENTY of people were still able to watch the game. It was a boring game that was a rematch of a boring game. I doubt having it on broadcast TV would have made the ratings any better.

But on the bright side, it pushes us one step closer to an actual playoff system.

You can't compare the numbers to any other title game except last year's game. From 1998-2010 they were on basic network channels ABC and FOX. They are now on ESPN which will always have smaller numbers because you have to pay extra for it.

What everyone else said. The only person who couldnt have watched it was me because I dont have cable.

Oh but wait, I have Xbox 360 and it was broadcast on ESPN3 - AKA OVER MY XBOX! Im wondering if they factored in every single person who has access to the ESPN app with a carrier who supports it (Which is SEVERAL big networks, like ATT UVerse (which I have))? This game was available to way more than you think.

As said, Im not knocking the teams themselves, congrats to the Tide but it wasnt nearly the matchup the rest of the country wanted. Playoffs.