TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

4D coaster model

http://ns15.webmasters.com/*coasterdynamix.com/httpdocs/index.php?option=com_agora&task=topic&id=286

This has to be one of the most impressive models ever made. Kudos to those who can transform ideas into something. It is amazing what imagination can do....

MOD EDIT: Edited to remove backhanded comments.

Edited by mcjaco

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only one thing I don't understand.

Why did he patent these designs??? Wouldn't he rather work with a company then to have him SELL the track design to companies. Why would companies even now consider buying the design when they can simply modify it a little? To me, I think he should be marketing his ideas and designs to companies - not trying to sell them from his basement.

Plus, the kid has to come from money. Having a booth at IAAPA, having at least two patents, and time to come up with this...

^Your words seem a bit harsh for someone who did something very impressive and ingenious. I think that patenting is a smart idea to ensure that nobody steals his design. While working with companies seems like a good idea, I imagine that it is rather difficult to get your foot in the door. This way, he has a demonstrable working product to market. As for him being a kid, I don't think he is one, seeing as you can clearly see a wedding ring on his hand in the video.

This is certainly not meant to butt heads with you. I'm just a bit surprised at what seems like a bit of venom being directed at someone who has demonstrated impressive intelligence and engineering skills. I hope that a company buys his design, that "Type 2" model is very interesting.

-Doug

Well I sure have had an interesting welcome to this site; I try to indtroduce new technology and my post is deleted for violating a spam/posting rule. My technolgy is posted about in the "model" section, when the model is only to help others understand the new tech. Thanks to those who see some merit in the new technology. As for people who think they are good at judging me personally: Independently developing and patenting advanced roller coaster tech is not the activity of a "kid" is it now?- I am a 29 yr. old father of 5.- "money"- without being specific, I am FAR from rich; why do think I am working so hard? "patent is bad idea/should get a job with comapny" - how would you go about dealing with the industry? It's not McDonalds you know.

Excuse my venting.

Despite being by the main entrance and adjacent to S&S at IAAPA, I was missed by a large portion of my target audience. This will be rectified however. I will soon be featured in more than 1 trade magazine, including "Funworld". I am contact those who have missed me. This technology is not for model making. You will see it made. You will ride it. It will be good.

Edited by New4D

Despite being by the main entrance and adjacent to S&S at IAAPA, I was missed by a large portion of my target audience. This will be rectified however. I will soon be featured in more than 1 trade magazine, including "Funworld". I am contact those who have missed me. This technology is not for model making. You will see it made. You will ride it. It will be good.

That's the spirit. Don't let people put you down, you have a great idea here, and I personally look forward to seeing this made and any other ideas your may have. And from the brief looks at your plans you showed in your videos, it appears that these trains have infinite rotation in any direction so long as the control rails "jump" (for lack of a better term) once you have maxed out one control rail's placement on the circular spine. Is this true?

Edited by Vekoma Fan Boy

Yes, braking/propulsion systems basically go where they would on any other coaster. This model would have had a working lift except that I did not include it because I needed to demonstrate it by hand anyway. Keep in mind that the proportions of the gear mechanism are overkill in the model because I had to work with the parts that I could acquire.

I did happen to meet you during IAAPA...I like your Idea and I think it has great potential...I especially like your second concept...the only suggestion I have is trying to make the speed of the coaster model more realistic to mimic an actual coaster, rather than zooming around the track as to where you cannot see the spinning of the train.

Best of Luck! (I really hope to see this concept built soon!)

-Zachary

...the only suggestion I have is trying to make the speed of the coaster model more realistic to mimic an actual coaster, rather than zooming around the track as to where you cannot see the spinning of the train.

I thought engineering students would know the first thing about gravity, is that you can't change it. No matter what scale. Ask Jack Rimer his thoughts on it.

Yeah, if you could let me know how to scale down gravity and apply it to my scale model, I would love to slow it down.

There was someone who took slow motion video of the model and it looked fantastic. It looked real and the seat rotations were smooth. Unfortunately, he hasn't yet made good on his promise to post it on his site and send me a link.

^Your words seem a bit harsh for someone who did something very impressive and ingenious. I think that patenting is a smart idea to ensure that nobody steals his design. While working with companies seems like a good idea, I imagine that it is rather difficult to get your foot in the door. This way, he has a demonstrable working product to market.

I don't think the words are harsh. Twister is simply wondering about the thought process, and it has some merits.

The link posted also is a good reminder that what you post in other forums (like bashing the TPR member who posted their attempts at a 4D model) will eventually be seen by someone at TPR.

New4D obviously has skills to create this, while someone much younger may not. Let's not forget that the average age in the Game Forum is around 17, if not younger. Of there's one thing I cannot stand, is those who sit on the sidelines and critique others attempts, while they do nothing. If someone is so knowledgable, then jump in and do it.

^Agreed. All I have to say is I acted a bit inmature back then since I was a new member. I've learned a lot since then and I pretty much have sit back and laugh at how foolish I was. I am so happy that I chose to job shadow at a park instead.

I do have to say that what you've made is impressive and I'm glad that it is possible to make. As far as the gravity scale, it's impossible to change no matter how much you try to slow the cars down.

I wish you success.

I thought engineering students would know the first thing about gravity, is that you can't change it. No matter what scale. Ask Jack Rimer his thoughts on it.

Yeah, if you could let me know how to scale down gravity and apply it to my scale model, I would love to slow it down.

There was someone who took slow motion video of the model and it looked fantastic. It looked real and the seat rotations were smooth. Unfortunately, he hasn't yet made good on his promise to post it on his site and send me a link.

Yes, I meant scale! I know you cannot change gravity (which has a force 9.8 m/s^2 btw (Studying for physics))

I have no Ideas at the moment...but if I do I'll let you know!

-Zach

Edited by The SETGO Guys

The only way to make the speed seem correct on a scale model like that would be to make it into a powered coaster with enough friction that you could accurately create what the ride would be like...

Though I wouldn't do that, too time consuming, this model alone is immpressive, and I'm sure the ammount of time spent on it was a well.

I honestly like the looks of this. It appears the transitions from one movement to another are smooth, unlike X2's which are quite jerky.

Kepp up the good work!

The only way to make the speed seem correct on a scale model like that would be to make it into a powered coaster with enough friction that you could accurately create what the ride would be like...

A riduclously expensive and complicated computer controlled powered model coaster is one of 4 known ways to do it. The second is no doubt as expensive, and that is to run the model in an aircraft descending at a rate of acceleration nearly as fast as gravity. Probably less than a 2 minute window before the plane would have to pull up to avoid crashing into the earth. The third way would be to run the model in a spacecraft in an altered orbit or in deep space in a slow but constant acceleration. The fourth is to place the model on a celestial body with 1/48th of the earth's gravity.

Point is, there is no practical way. The best thing to do is film it in slow motion. Looks great. I'll try to find a friend with a camera that does that.

The speed debate is nothing new. The technology the model demonstrates is.

I don't think the words are harsh. Twister is simply wondering about the thought process, and it has some merits.

I understand what you are saying here. I still think that the comment about coming from money had a small bit of sting to it. But, I understand his query.

The link posted also is a good reminder that what you post in other forums (like bashing the TPR member who posted their attempts at a 4D model) will eventually be seen by someone at TPR.

New4D obviously has skills to create this, while someone much younger may not. Let's not forget that the average age in the Game Forum is around 17, if not younger. Of there's one thing I cannot stand, is those who sit on the sidelines and critique others attempts, while they do nothing. If someone is so knowledgable, then jump in and do it.

You are absolutely correct. I have no excuse for that, and I apologize. I should certainly know better than that. Ccron, I owe you an apology as well, that was quite childish of me.

-Doug

Okay, personally I applaud you! Clearly this is something that interest you, and that you find joy in doing, and you are following your dreams! You are not letting what people say to you, or about your product affect your goal! I wish you the best of luck, and I can not wait to some day actually ride one of these designs! Best of luck!

~Matthew