TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Maurer-Sohne issues service notice for X-Cars

http://www.ltci.co.uk/LTC_Technical_Bulletins/Maurer_Sohne_Conection_Bar_Action.pdf

Dear Customers,

As supplier and manufacturer of one of the successful roller coasters of the X-Car series we are sending you the latest information in reference to safety, maintenance and Service of your System, to give you the best customer support.

In the light of recent findings, we would like to inform you through the attached Service Bulletin 001/10 about the coupling bar assembly on the cars of your Sky Loop System.

We would like to ask you to take note of the documents, to inform all persons concerned by this matter promptly and comprehensively and to implement the described measures according to the given instructions.

We deeply regret the present circumstances and the resulting consequences, but hope for your understanding because of the importance of this matter. If you have further questions on this case, we will gladly provide you with more

information.

We wish you every success for the close of the 2010 season and thank you for the excellent cooperation.

Sincerely,

Maurer Söhne Rides Gt

Service Bulletin 001/10 September 2010

Safety-related express notification, please make sure this is read and dealt with immediately!

System: Sky Loop or X-Car Coaster,

Assembly: Coupling bar for X-Car vehicle (tandem train)

1. Findings

We are conducting regulär measurements and load tests on the different assemblies of our Systems

in order to determine whether our calculations will also prove themselves in practice over many

years to come.

In the course of such testings, we have examined the coupling bar of our X-Car vehicle with respect

to its life span. Strain gauge measurements have resulted in the following: The existing loads can exceed the calculated forces in practice, having the effect that the coupling bar along with the coupling elements are not fatigue endurable.

Therefore, we are forced to revise the design of the coupling bar and the two coupling elements (coupling parts on the two ends of the coupling bar). The repair solution or new design will be available in approx. 2-3 months (practical test included). As soon äs we have successfully concluded examination of these parts, we will modify the parts installed in your Systems free of Charge or, if applicable, send you the new parts for Installation.

2. Immediate measures

Until the above-mentioned measures have been completed, it is absolutely necessary to check the existing coupling bars and coupling parts by means of NDT tests (non-destructive material testing) according to the following instructions.

Any Operation of the Sky Loop or X-Car Coaster with tandem train must be immediately and strictly stopped until the examination has been evaluated!

The examinations have to be carried out by you on site (if you have appropriate personnel and devices äs well äs an authorisation for conducting these) or by an authorised examiner. The examinations are to be effected by means of ultrasonic testing (pos. 1) and magnetic particle inspection (pos. 2,3,4) according to the attached drawing. Until the parts have been replaced or

modified, these examinations must be repeated every 3 weeks or after another 200 hours of Operation (the earlier point in time is applicable, respectively), in case you have determined that there are no defects during the initial check.

If you find any cracks (no matter what size or type) on the checked locations or any other irregularities, the System must be shut down immediately in order to prevent serious accidents posing a danger to health and life of persons.

Please contact us in this case for discussing remediation / repair measures. We have prepared short-term remediation measures allowing you to quickly resume Operation of your System.

We deeply regret the present circumstances and the resulting consequences, but hope for your understanding because of the importance of this matter. If you have f urther questions on this case, we will gladly provide you with more Information.

While certainly an unfortunate event, I think it is an extremely wise move on the part of Maurer-Sohne to issue this warning and provide service for all of its creations. This situation could have been a lot worse, had the warning not been issued, so I'm relieved to see the red flags before something serious went down.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this explains why Rip Ride Rockit is going to be down for a little while.

And I'm so bummed because it was the only new credit I was going to get on our short trip to Orlando over Halloween! Maybe A) it will be fixed by then, or B) we'll have to break down and go to Seaworld to get those credits. The Seaworld coasters and HRRR are the only Florida credits I don't have yet.

Sigh, I'm going to Orlando in 2 weeks but I'm more there for HHN. Manta and Kraken at SWO look better than Rockit, oh well, I'm there for a week so maybe they'll get it up.

Am I simplifying this or is Rockit having a lot problems for a out and back chainlift coaster albeit the latest problem is a bit more generic?

According to the bulletin, until the first test has taken place, the ride cannot operate.

Once the first test is complete, if there are defects found, the ride won't be able to operate until a short term fix has been carried out.

If no faults are found, the test needs to be carried out very 3 weeks or 200 operating hours, whichever comes first, to further determine whether any faults have occurred.

The permanent fix is estimated to be ready in 2-3 months time.

Am I simplifying this or is Rockit having a lot problems for a out and back chainlift coaster albeit the latest problem is a bit more generic?

The impression I've gotten from talking to people who've had even the remotest dealings with this ride, is that it's a total piece of shit.

Riding it hasn't done much to sway my opinion. It should be good, but it isn't.

Now that they have all the money in the world, I bet Universal really wishes they had gone with B&M.

I'm wondering if local park Drievliet has closed Formule X but I'm too lazy to call.

I'm pretty sure it's still open since it's a single car train.. and as far as i've read/understood it's the connection between the 2 cars that might be a problem..

I'm wondering if local park Drievliet has closed Formule X but I'm too lazy to call.

I'm pretty sure it's still open since it's a single car train.. and as far as i've read/understood it's the connection between the 2 cars that might be a problem..

Yeah, it looks like the coupler between the two cars making up the train.

Mybrother is coming out to Orlando next week and he's not been to Universal since before the Mummy was installed and I was really hoping he could've tried this.