TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Oops well maybe they bought the land off of them . Kidding. But at least that's rather impressive that HW is drawing in the crowds for them to potentially be making more cabins/RV camps. I'm thinking that it could mean that there's some serious growth going on either in the future, or this is all just catching up after last year's giant crowd increase. Hopefully it's the first thing

Voyage was down a good bit today

I got in The Wave yesterday, and overheard someone say "Those people are still stuck on The Voyage!". I looked up and a full train was stopped at the end, right before going back into the station. I am not sure how long they had been there at that point, but it was at least another 5 - 10 minutes before they moved into the station. Then some empty trains were sent out. I probably wouldn't even have noticed it if I didn't hear someone else mention it, and not sure how long it was down because I got distracted enjoying Splashin' Safari. We left Splashin' Safari a little before 6 and decided to head to Thanksgiving to get a pretzel. The pretzel stand ended up being closed, but I noticed someone in a yellow shirt standing where The Voyage goes over the walkway into Thanksgiving and looking up at the brakes or track or something every time a train passed over. It looked like he was keeping track of something, but also kind of trying to pretend like he wasn't doing anything. The Voyage was running normally at the time, with people riding, so I don't think anything was wrong. But that area could have possibly been what caused it to be down earlier in the day.

Oops well maybe they bought the land off of them . Kidding. But at least that's rather impressive that HW is drawing in the crowds for them to potentially be making more cabins/RV camps. I'm thinking that it could mean that there's some serious growth going on either in the future, or this is all just catching up after last year's giant crowd increase. Hopefully it's the first thing

I'm pretty sure that's around the area where Lake Rudolph has been constructing a mini waterpark with some old slides they bought from HW. I could be wrong on that though, since I didn't go there last time I stayed at Lake Rudolph. Also someone's been lurking on this forum and asked what HW was doing behind Jungle Racer on FB and Paula responded confirming that it's Lake Rudolph's property.

^ Yeah that's Lake Rudolph property. Here's a link to the site where you can view the property lines in Spencer County and who owns that property: http://spencer.in.wthgis.com/

Does anyone know what the area is that kind of goes through the middle of Holiday World in the GIS map? I have been wondering about that for a while, but have never been able to figure it out for sure. You can see it by looking at the lines that separate properties on the GIS map. It looks like maybe it is supposed to be a road, but it isn't really a road. One end is by Holidog's Fun Town, and the other end is behind the Zinga, and it just kind of runs right through the middle of Holiday World.

I'm pretty sure that's around the area where Lake Rudolph has been constructing a mini waterpark with some old slides they bought from HW. I could be wrong on that though, since I didn't go there last time I stayed at Lake Rudolph. Also someone's been lurking on this forum and asked what HW was doing behind Jungle Racer on FB and Paula responded confirming that it's Lake Rudolph's property.

I think Lake Rudolph's mini waterpark might be finished, but I haven't been there lately to know for sure. On Lake Rudolph's website it says they are building 20 new Holiday Cottages, and replacing 20 RVs. Sounds like they might have started working on the new cabins.

EDIT TO ADD: I just noticed that Lake Rudolph's website says stay tuned for another major announcement coming soon!

http://www.lakerudolph.com/new-for-2016/

Thunderbird may or may not end up placing stupidly high on my favorite coaster list just because of how fun it is.

I don't have any kind of 'top coaster' list, but I also found it really fun, last year. It kind of takes you by surprise, doesn't it?

I'm wondering, what happens in a few years when the new sections get that normal worn-in roughness that all wooden coasters get and suddenly the ride has no finale

My thoughts exactly, reprofiled or not.

Voyage was down a good bit today

I got in The Wave yesterday, and overheard someone say "Those people are still stuck on The Voyage!". I looked up and a full train was stopped at the end, right before going back into the station. I am not sure how long they had been there at that point, but it was at least another 5 - 10 minutes before they moved into the station. Then some empty trains were sent out. I probably wouldn't even have noticed it if I didn't hear someone else mention it, and not sure how long it was down because I got distracted enjoying Splashin' Safari. We left Splashin' Safari a little before 6 and decided to head to Thanksgiving to get a pretzel. The pretzel stand ended up being closed, but I noticed someone in a yellow shirt standing where The Voyage goes over the walkway into Thanksgiving and looking up at the brakes or track or something every time a train passed over. It looked like he was keeping track of something, but also kind of trying to pretend like he wasn't doing anything. The Voyage was running normally at the time, with people riding, so I don't think anything was wrong. But that area could have possibly been what caused it to be down earlier in the day.

My friend was on the second train, stopped out on the MCBR. She just said they came to a sudden stop and were out there for about 20 minutes.

My friend was on the second train, stopped out on the MCBR. She just said they came to a sudden stop and were out there for about 20 minutes.

Sounds like an E-Stop was initiated. I know from previous experience on other coasters that when an E-Stop is in effect, a full safety check of systems is done to determine why the stop occurred.

With HW's concern for safety, I assume that meant that the 'Cats' or a ride supervisor had to clear the coaster for restart, and that can sometimes take a bit of time, especially to reset the ride logic in the controller for the ride. A delay of 15-20 minutes is not out of the realm of possibility.

As to looking at the brakes, it could have been that one of the trains exhibited some noise going thru the station brakes and they were checking to see if it also exhibited the noise in the block brakes before the station.

Just my $0.02 worth.

^ The way the post was worded makes me believe it's overall. I know someone asked them what their attendance for last year was on FB and Paula responded by saying well over a million. For a family park, when you build a ride like TB I'd say only a certain % of the people attending are going to be able to ride due to height restrictions, ext. I bet the park is pretty happy with how fast they got to a million.

Now, does this account for people who re ride? I ask because in theory you can only count a persons first ride as rider. Between myself, Alana, Jarett & January, we have amassed over a dozen rides each. That's probably close to 5 or 6 full trainloads. Is this figure based on just seats filled? Cause that would account for approximately 100,000 launches. Or have they actually been able to calculate each individual, whilst extracting the rerides. Knowing that most riders, even GP will ride more than once.

Cause that would be impressive.

I'm guessing, and I could be wrong. Paula, feel free to correct me if I am. But the actual number of individual riders is more close to half that amount. I'm guessing it's seats filled. Which while impressive, would negate the actual number of first time riders.

I'm thinking the statement should be that, "Tomorrow HW will launch it's millionth passenger on TB." Because using the term passenger, accounts for the seat being filled while not personalizing it to an individual.

Regardless, Kudos Holiday World! You have amassed a great tally, on an awesome ride! This is a cause for celebration! Drinks are on the house!

^ I think they have to be counting by the amount trains they dispatch in a day. The Raven got it's ACE landmark plaque this week and local TV station did a story on it and the park told them 405,000 people rode The Raven last year. Now unless whoever is running the control panel is physically counting the number of people that is on each train, I never seen anyone is the station keeping track. Now that could be possible. If you ever pay attention while standing in line for The Voyage, right before they dispatch the train, there is this thing on the wall that whoever is running the control panel will press what seems like a 1000 times before they dispatch the train or right after they dispatch the train. I've always wondered what they did that for, but the more I think about, that's probably what they use that for, which is to count the number of people on each train (Excuse me for my thinking out loud in this post lol). But to get back to the point, yes I'm pretty sure they count re-rides too.

Cedar Point uses turnstiles at the entrance of every station to count riders. We would collect the number on the turnstile every hour and total them at the end of every day to get the number of riders. I know Raven and Legend used to use turnstiles, but I can't remember if they still do. I don't believe the Voyage ever used a turnstile. I'm guessing they count the number of empty seats every train and subtract that from 28x the number of dispatches each hour/day.

Each coaster has a little clicker near most of the operators where they push a button repeatedly for the amount of people on every train. Voyage has it towards the front of the station where the train exits, and I think the same goes for Legend and Raven.

I don't remember that at all. The woodies all have the characteristic "shredding" sound, but all the woodies I've been on do that except Outlaw Run (which instead screams, which is way more like the "squeal" you're talking about).