TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Maybe I'm late in musing this, but what if Holiday World commissioned RMC to build a custom Iron Horse coaster? It would tick the steel box in impressive fashion and a wooden support structure would mesh well with the park's aesthetic.

RMC wood or steel in the woods by Voyage = incredibly amazing.

Pretty much any coaster in the woods by Voyage = still amazing.

Maybe I'm late in musing this, but what if Holiday World commissioned RMC to build a custom Iron Horse coaster? It would tick the steel box in impressive fashion and a wooden support structure would mesh well with the park's aesthetic.

I would also like to see RMC building a hybrid from scratch. I also wonder if they'll ever go for the all steel path too.

I've never heard it confirmed (and doubt anyone would), but I've been told that Six Flags has a contract with Rocky Mountain for exclusive use of the Iron Horse track for a few more years (2-3). So, we won't be seeing any non-SF parks transforming their wood coasters for a while if that's true. This being due to the amount of money/work SF put into developing that technology for Texas Giant.

^There's always the style used by Outlaw Run, so even if that's true, all hope would not be lost.

^^I remember passing by that SUV on my way out of the park yesterday! I do hope they're going to drive it through the park!

Had a great time yesterday! Thank you Holiday World and Paula! I'm a very lucky coaster nerd.

You're welcome! What was your favorite part?

... and did you take note we had not one - but two - types of gravy on the buffet?

The green beans was my favorite part. Or maybe the gravy... Or seeing a friend riding the HW coasters for the first time. Too many favorite parts

^^^Despite the 5/19/14 *wooden* blocks, I'm gonna lock my final guess in on a Mack launcher with two crossovers of the Voyage and cool terrain interactions out in the woods.

Since you asked for crazy, I'll oblige and say the coaster will be a mix of Alpina Blitz (mega-lite clone) and Helix. Lift hill followed by Alpina-like airtime hills/dives and then a midcourse launch with the focus shifting to inversions and ground hugging high speed changes of direction.

Height: 115ft

Drop: 108ft @ 80degrees

Speed: 55mph (achieved during launch)

Length: 3600ft

Inversions: 2

Cost: $20MM

*The guess is real, the specifics are fanboy fantasy.

Before the big reveal on Monday, I wanted to ask a couple questions about an upcoming visit. I'm going to HW for the first time next Saturday. What kind of crowds should I expect on the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend? Any recommendations to get the most out of my time? Any can't miss food items in the park? Are there any rides with single rider lines? Also, I will be going by myself and live tweeting my day on Twitter @Jon_Winters. Feel free to tweet me if you are in the park and want to join up for a ride or two.

Thanks.

What kind of crowds should I expect on the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend?

Ugh, you have to go this day? Pretty heavy crowds. Regional schools are getting out for the summer this upcoming week. The two longest lines out of both parks, Wildebeest and Mammoth, will vary in length depending on how warm the weather is. If it's 60 degrees, those lines will be very short. However, 80 or warmer means lines can reach approximately 60-90 minutes, possibly 120.

Any recommendations to get the most out of my time?

Visit Voyage as soon as you get to the park and hit up Mayflower and Gobbler Getaway while you're there. Then head to the water park as soon as it is about to open and WALK in a brisk manner (dumb teenagers will run there and may avoid being yelled at for doing so) to Mammoth then Wildebeest. Then it is up to you what slides you want to hit up. Most of the water slides at Splashin Safari are found in other water parks, so it just depends on what you do or don't like. Zinga, Watubee, Bakuli, and the half-pipe of Hyena Falls tend to gather the long lines as well. After you finish up at the water park, hopefully it is 3-4 pm and you can head to the Raven and Legend now. Like the water park, the flats here are fairly standard and nothing out of the ordinary, so it depends on what you prefer to ride.

Any can't miss food items in the park?

Fried Oreos, yum. I also like some of the fudge from Mrs Claus's Kitchen. Plymouth Rock Cafe has some home style food you may like. All of the prices are very reasonable compared to a standard Six Flags or Cedar Fair park.

Are there any rides with single rider lines?

Mammoth, Wildebeest, and Liberty Launch have one.

Thanks.

You're welcome.

I second both the fried oreos and all of the fare at Plymouth Rock Cafe. You can get fried oreos at most carnivals and such but there is something about the ones at Holiday World - soooo delicious.

Also, the pizza at Kringle's Kafe is much, much better than the pie I've had at other parks. If the pizza mood strikes, you get 2 huge slices, breadsticks and a cookie for under $10.

Okay I'm totally dying! I CANNOT wait for Monday! Come on people lets here some crazy speculation!

Here's some crazy speculation. RMC's first steel coaster built from scratch. It's over 200 feet tall with a lift structure like Goliath's. 90 degree vertical drop that has an out and back terrain twister feel with several inversions. It'll be packed with negative g's with a good mix of positive g's.

Any can't miss food items in the park?

The funnel cakes are pretty good. The deep fried Twinkies too.

^ From what I've saw on Twitter today, they park has sent out press announcement teasers to media outlets (They've been tweeting pictures of what HW has sent them) for May 19. This is what is says.

A promise made so long ago. Through the prism of imagination. Through the dreams dusted with memories. We find our way, until we see at last, a promise kept. Our next voyage begins May 19.

It's going to be announced on the 19th. This has to be a huge (and obvious) project for them to announce it this early. Almost too early for a regular steel coaster, but just about right with something that has a wooden structure. I'm starting to lean toward RMC. The timing is perfect. The crew from Goliath will be done in a couple of weeks. If they start in June, they'll have the ride completed in April. Even though I'm leaning toward RMC, anybodies guess is just as good as mine.

A promise made so long ago. Through the prism of imagination. Through the dreams dusted with memories. We find our way, until we see at last, a promise kept. Our next voyage begins May 19.

Total speculation here, but based on that quote, my intuition tells me that back when Will Koch gave the go to build Voyage, he may have had a special vision of two coasters interweaved with each other. The first one being Voyage, and the second one possibly being announced on Monday. Again, no idea if that is what is going to happen, but whatever this new attraction is, it's going to be BIG. Can't wait!