TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Going to parks alone?

I wouldn't want to spend a whole day at a park by myself, but I don't mind wandering off on my own for an hour or two. In fact, I don't think I've gone to Disneyland with just friends and not been on my own for at least an hour because many of them are not interested in the non-thrill rides.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to go to the parks over here in Tampa/Orlando by myself. I hate going to a park i have not been to with other people cause I feel like they will not know what to do and waste time. My family knows me already and when we do go to those new parks they just follow my lead lol

I've wanted to and even planned to go alone, but if I can't get someone else to go, I flake out. Friends make the visits for me. Although I do, like other people, go off on my own for a bit, particularly if I'm with family (not much of a thrill-seeking family). I was at WDW last week with my mom and little brother, and I'd either go off on my own for a couple hours or stay late at the parks to hit up the stuff my brother (and subsequently Mom) couldn't ride. But to spend a whole day at a park just isn't as appealing to me. I had planned to spend a Friday afternoon/evening at KI after I got my passed processed, but ended up leaving after 3 Diamondback rides and a round on FoF (so I lasted 35min). The rides were plenty of fun, but the lines and downtime in between wore on me. In contrast, I spent about 7hrs at the park later that year with a youth group I help with, rode DB 2x and 2 water rides in that time, and had a much better time.

But I still commend (and am a bit envious of) those who do go alone.

I go to local parks with other people much of the time, since if I don't have a season pass I'll usually only visit on special occasions. My main exception is with SFMM, since it's so close that I can spend half a day there alone without getting bored. However, outside of California my traveling companions usually have no interest in parks, so I've been to most foreign parks alone, except when I'm on vacation with my family or on a TPR trip (a major plus of TPR trips is visiting foreign parks with like-minded folks). The worst part of going alone is sitting in the lines or restaurants by yourself, but it is especially nice for new parks, since I'm able to do everything I want even if I don't know my way around the park, and there's no one to complain when I'm going out of the way for run-down kiddie coasters. Plus, even my coaster liking friends usually aren't interested in ride-marathons. It's always nice to have friends to hang out with for the day, but I rarely pass up a good opportunity to visit a new park.

Actually, the absolute worst part of going to parks by yourself is when you come across rides you aren't allowed to ride alone. My main problem rides have been Thunderbolt at Kennywood and some of the Puyallup Fair.

THANK YOU everyone for your nice responses. I really would love to befriend some local users of the site to enjoy local parks with or plan a trip with.

I hit SFA alone a couple of times a year, KD at least three times alone a year and SFGAdv once or twice alone a year.

You're welcome to come anytime with me...you should know that by now!

Well lets plan it!!! lol I really want to go to Dorney this summer. I have not been there in YEARS!!!

Done!

We gotta stop at Kauffman's Chicken Ranch on the way home though...

Back when I used to film my park trips I went by myself most of the time. As a videographer I felt it was most comfortable to be myself because I didn't have to feel bad holding someone back from wanting to ride or whatever. However, now I have a problem with going by myself because without my camera I just feel so alone. Even at Kennywood it gets lonely for me. I'm pretty self conscious to begin with, so I need someone with me now because I feel it's kind of lame to be at an amusement park by myself.

Been to Blackpool PB on my own and rode Revolution being the only one on the coaster.

My fiancee can't do coasters so the last couple of years when I have been over in CA, the first year I went to SFMM myself and the next year to KBF with her but I went on the rides myself.

Although I prefer going on rides with friends I can do it myself no problem and as others have said you can then do what you like when you like. I take my ipod for the lines and I am quite happy.

^ I have had solo rides on Viper, Revolution and Gold Rusher at SFMM within the last 6 months. Every time it happened the ride ops and the few people in line cheered when I came back into the station. I thought it was pretty funny. Also, on my last visit, I was on Deja Vu and saw the train on Terminator with a solo rider on it.

^If you go to the park on a weekday between November and February that isn't near a holiday most lines at Disneyland are a half-hour or less. I've had several visits in early December where almost everything was a walk-on and even the rides with a long line were only 20-25 minutes.

Speaking of Disneyland and solo rides, I actually went once during the previously mentioned period and was the only person on Snow White's Scary Adventure. They literally had to cycle cars empty just so I could get off.

Im to lazy to get my butt to a park without someone saying lets go, so I don't often go to parks myself.

I have split up with my group before, though, and had a great time by myself, aside from worrying where to meet up (pre cell phones).

Benefit of going alone though is sometimes you get paired up with some great people on rides you would have never met otherwise.

^ Wow, that is a shocker. I went to DL on a Tuesday in Feb, 06 and Space Mountain had a 3 hour line. I've never seen it have less than a 1 hour line.

1) it was a wedsday in november.

2) the park was closing at 5 for a private party so attentance was lower than normal,

3) Disney failed to mention to its guest that the east side (Tomorrowland, Main Street, and Fantasyland) would remain open till 6. This is what disney calls a soft closing. For that a good 95% - 98% of the guest left at 5. I had got on space at 5 and at 5:15 I was walking past star tours and found out it was still open.

4) there was only about 20 of us who knew and were going on space over and over.

The major problem was that even though there was litleraly no line, the staff still made me walk around.

But not many people can say that during normal operating hours had gone on space 5 times, 1 of which was solo in less than an hour. I like to remember this as the greatest 40 min I had ever had at DL.

OK, that explains it. It does stink that they made you walk around when there was no line. Pretty cool that you got on that many times though. This reminds me of the three best hours I've ever had at SFMM.

1. Rode X2 10 times in one hour on Season Pass Appreciation Day.

2. Rode X2 4 times, Tatsu twice and Deja Vu twice in one hour.

3. Rode Goliath, Scream, Batman: TR and Riddler's Revenge twice each in one hour.

t does stink that they made you walk around when there was no line.

I KNOW!!!!!, And as everyone knows space has one of the longest exit to entrance walk arounds anywhere, and it felt 10 times longer that day. And with the staff only alowing to walk, not run.

I had actually had taken pictures of the station. But I was shaking so much from my sock and excitment that they didn't come out legible at all.

I have been able to stay on thunder mountain and splash mountain before when there was no line, so im pretty sure its not a disney thing. Mabey the ride-ops were in an unfriendly mood that day. (wait a dl cast member in an unfriendly mood......shocker)

Edited by gforce532

Wow, I have never seen space have more than a 2 hour line besides on a national holiday, like July 4th. Disneyland is easy if you know how to fastpass. I dont really go to parks alone, but my friend is a "enthusiast" meaning he does not know anytying about who built rides and stuff like that, but he is always willing to go to the parks. I was going to go to WCB on my own, but my friend tagged along and we each had a totally amazing time.

^^ That could be. I have had many school day and off-season visits to SFMM when I have been allowed to re-ride X2 without leaving the station when it had a two train wait or less. On my last visit a ride op made me exit and walk all the way around even though it was a walk on. Maybe he was in an unfriendly mood that day too.

THANK YOU everyone for your nice responses. I really would love to befriend some local users of the site to enjoy local parks with or plan a trip with.

I hit SFA alone a couple of times a year, KD at least three times alone a year and SFGAdv once or twice alone a year.

You're welcome to come anytime with me...you should know that by now!

Well lets plan it!!! lol I really want to go to Dorney this summer. I have not been there in YEARS!!!

Done!

We gotta stop at Kauffman's Chicken Ranch on the way home though...

Perfect. Lets plan it!

I too enjoy going to parks alone.

The biggest trip I have done alone was 2 summers ago when I worked at Cedar Point. I drove over to pa to ride Ravine Flyer II. Now in Florida, I often go to Sea world, universal, or disney by my self. I worked at disney last year, so it was normal to just go to a park alone. It' can be such a great escape, but don't get me wrong...I love hanging out at parks with friends as well.

It was scary at first, low self-esteem and an amusement park by your self can be pretty destructive, but now I use it as an escape. It's what I love. especially with some music and a camera