TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2010 Winter Olympics

SharkTums

Well the olympics are pretty much over for the Dutch. Theres one small final (for bronze medal) in speed skating. But that would be the last event we participate in.

It has been a really weird Olympics. First the hype of Sven Kramer at the 5.000 meters Speed Skating, which he won. But thats been over shadowed by his (or more of his coach) mistake during the 10.000 meters, where he would have won gold but switched to the wrong lane. Other speed skaters exceeded themeself (Mark Tuitert with a gold medal, Anette Gerritsen with silver only 0.02 seconds away from gold.. btw canadian cheat!). Ireen Wust with another gold medal.

Then the bobsleigh team wich didn't appear during the event because the stearman couldn't handle the track, forcing the entire team to withdraw. Really weird choice, at least try it! Now 3 other man lived up to the event, just to never participate.

And yesterday we won Gold (!) during the Snowboard Giant Slalom for women. That is sooo cool! Holland doesn't have mountains, we don't have snow (at least not on regular basis) and yet we win a snowboard event

I think we did good with these medals (And maybe another bronze)

G: 4

S: 1

B: 7

This afternoon there was a interesting part on the broadcast channel, about the Canadian. A lot of countries feel they are a bit egotistical, especially the british. All the sports that Canadian athletes are good at are really highlighted, while the other sports are more concidered an "extra". The journalist put it like this: Its like Canada invited everyone for their own birthday party and its all about how Canada will win Ice Hockey...

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This afternoon there was a interesting part on the broadcast channel, about the Canadian. A lot of countries feel they are a bit egotistical, especially the british. All the sports that Canadian athletes are good at are really highlighted, while the other sports are more concidered an "extra". The journalist put it like this: Its like Canada invited everyone for their own birthday party and its all about how Canada will win Ice Hockey...

LMAO, have they even watched NBC?

That's pretty much the same at any Olympics. The host country always wants to win the most medals on their home turf.

What are we supposed to do, apologize for coming in first when we win an event?

Its not about winning an event, its about the attention towards an event where Canada isn't considered a favorite. Just look at the olympics official site. When Canada wins a medal, its being prompted on the fron page with a picture and everything. It also stays there for a couple of days, while others sports are just noted in the Latest News list.

Although I don't really think its that big of a deal, I thought it was pretty interesting pitch from the Journalist. I don't think its weird that canada focuss much on Ice Hockey (or other sports their good at). Canada want to show the world what they can do. China did the same at the summer Olympics, and Russia will do the same in 4 years.

What I really think is weird though, is that the medals are presented to the athletes in an indoor arena, sometimes the next evening. I know this has been going on for some Olympics now. But its weird, lots of athletes aren't that thrilled anymore and everyone who bought a ticket to the event dont get to see the athlete holding the medal?

Edited by AlmereStars

^^Something like "On the Podium" also would have worked. The only real thing "Own the Podium" did was make us overly optimistic, which isn't really a bad thing.

^Vancouver2010.com looks to be run by the Vancouver Olympic Committee; hence the focus on Canadians winning any event. In two years London2012 will probably be run by the London Olympic Committee and the focus will be on the British winning any event (don't deny it, you know it will happen; it's national pride), the same will happen for Russians in Sochi in 2014. The journalist knows this is going to happen, but he just wanted to make a statement against Canada on the last of the events.

I am going to the Pens-Sabres game on Tuesday, first Pens game back from the Olympics. I am a Pens fan, but for the first time when Sidney Crosby steps on the ice, I will boo him. I am actually that mad.

Why do you want to boo Crosby? Sounds kind of childish and besides you wouldn't be any better than the Flyer fans who boo him.

THAT GAME WAS AMAZING/CRAZY/SAD FOR AN AMERICAN/AWESOME!!!! I was on the edge of my seat the whole game. And the last goal in regulation, I screamed so loud! But then I got sad when Crosby got the game winner. He did great though, and I can't be sad with good playing. Great job Canada, great job USA, and great job to all the athletes at these games!