TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CoasterDynamix on the show HOUSE

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go, Jack! I'm thrilled to see a Scorpion (and a very well built one at that) on national TV. Keep up the great work!

-Doug "Has waaaaayyyyyy too much CoasterDynamix, yet still wants to buy more" Heim

P.S.-There's always gotta be one person who says something about the speed...

Have you ever seen one in person or just a video? We are currently working on a way to miniaturize the effects of gravity on an object, but nature does not seem to want to cooperate. So far......

I have seen one in person (Diamond Back at KI) and it was FAST. Too fast to even enjoy watching.

While I do appreciate the work that has gone into engineering CoasterDynamix rides and realize that in scale models gravity is not your friend I don't see how your doing yourself or this product any service by being a smart ass about it. Even worse when a MOD has to put his half cent in on it.

If there was ever a chance in the future that hobbit was planing on buying a CoasterDynamix product I would say that sale is lost as is mine.

Have you ever seen one in person or just a video? We are currently working on a way to miniaturize the effects of gravity on an object, but nature does not seem to want to cooperate. So far......

I have seen one in person (Diamond Back at KI) and it was FAST. Too fast to even enjoy watching.

While I do appreciate the work that has gone into engineering CoasterDynamix rides and realize that in scale models gravity is not your friend I don't see how your doing yourself or this product any service by being a smart A$$ about it. Even worse when a MOD has to put his half cent in on it.

If there was ever a chance in the future that hobbit was planing on buying a CoasterDynamix product I would say that sale is lost as is mine.

The problem is that it's pretty much impossible to slow it down and still have it go through an entire layout unless it was powered, which would prevent you from having custom layouts.

The only logical way to make it work is to record a video and slow it down in an editor.

Even if his reaction may have been smart-alecy, it's easy to get annoyed about something that people constantly comment about when a fix is out of your control.

Either way, super neat that one was in House!

The train has exactly the same acceleration as a real coaster train:

32.2 feet/s^2.

But, because the model is so tiny, the speed looks fast compared to real life coasters. If you were to build a Coasterdynamix of the same size of a real coaster, the speed would be almost the same as the real thing.

While I do appreciate the work that has gone into engineering CoasterDynamix rides and realize that in scale models gravity is not your friend I don't see how your doing yourself or this product any service by being a smart A$$ about it. Even worse when a MOD has to put his half cent in on it.

For one, Jack has to constantly defend the "speed" of his models here, and I'm sure elsewhere he posts. It gets old. Real old. He's explained gravity and his models umpteen thousand times, and yet it's the first thing that some makes a remark about anyway. I'd get a little frosted too if my main source of income was constantly being bashed by people that don't understand fundamental physics.

As for my comment, my half cent wasn't directed at anyone in particular, and it was letting Jack know that there are people here that understand the limitations of the models, and that we understand the "speed" issue. Again, when all you here is the speed complaint, it gets old. Even for those of us that don't produce these models.

Finally, as we constantly say, until you know the history behind a poster you think a remark is aimed at, it's best to keep your "half cents" to yourself. You don't always know the whole story, the PM's, the emails, the warnings, the posting history, etc. Our "half cents" are usually aimed at posters who havea history of not following rules here.

You know, I thought my comment about scaling gravity was meant to be humorous, not condescending. The comment you made about Diamondback being "too fast to even enjoy watching", however, was absurd. Fortunately, the countless positive comments we receive about that model reaffirm that we are doing something right. Not to mention the endorsement of the park and Cedar Fair's continued desire to use our models to showcase new rides (Intimidator 305). If our models are so unrealistic that you can't bear to watch them, so be it. We will simply be content with comments from people such as Walter Bolliger, Jack Falfas, and Dick Kinzel who have used words like "Amazingly accurate" and "Incredible recreation" to describe them. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I simply value some opinions more than others.

I understand that not everyone gets the whole "scaling gravity" concept. My point is a person can't profess to be an aspiring coaster designer if he doesn't even grasp the most basic concepts of physics.

^ Seriously, should we just make a thread teaching people "scaling physics." And have a class for TPR. I understand it completely. I think the models are actually really cool, I used to be hugely into K'Nex when I was 9-11, when the "Screamin' Serpent" came out. I loved building those. I want to save up to buy one of the CoasterDynamix versions, they seem alot easier to use, and just more fun in general.

For those of you who don't understand, let's try to put this another way. Gravity moves at the same rate no matter what (unless you're on the moon or something, but let's not get into that).

Imagine building a scale model of a 10-story building. Let's say it's 5 feet tall. If you put a little Lego man on top of it and drop him over, he's going to hit the ground pretty quickly -- much faster than if a real person jumped off a real 10-story building. But if you put a real person on that 5-foot building, he's going to fall at the same speed the Lego man falls.

So from our perspective, it appears that the Lego man is falling at the speed of light. But you can't scale back gravity unless maybe you're in a vacuum.

Now just convert that to these roller coasters. If your CoasterDynamix set is 6 feet tall, it falls at the rate of gravity. If you somehow have a B&M that's 6 feet tall, it will fall down at the same speed.

He's explained gravity and his models umpteen thousand times, and yet it's the first thing that some makes a remark about anyway. I'd get a little frosted too if my main source of income was constantly being bashed by people that don't understand fundamental physics.

MAIN SOURCE OF INCOME, that is the whole point behind my post and you and him and everyone else seemed to miss it. If making money on these coasters is his main source of income one would think the annoyance of having to explain why things like gravity on models appear the the way they do would be a small inconvenience.

Everyone who reads this thread or any other thread that features his product is a potential customer. Being an ass as I took it or humorous as he claims toward someones comment about the product is not helping any future sales.

HALF CENT, your half cent while may not have be directed anyone in particular still has impact on what I wrote above, so if you want him to make as much money on what he does for his "main source of income" and are behind his product as firmly as you seem to be you should have stepped up to explain the speed issue instead of just a "some people just don't get it" comment.

I for one am quite aware of the speed on models, been building model rides for over 20 years. I have a closet full of them in boxes and built, including 2 coasters. 99% are from the German company Faller. The Diamond Back model was hard to watch. It was a great model coaster but once again just like on mine it moves so fast it is very hard to follow and with it's size (length that is) was difficult to follow and by that I mean keeping your eyes on the train as it went flying around the track.

My original post was entirely aimed at POTENTAL customer service as is this one. The speed of the coasters is always going to be a customer service issue. If a person, in this case Jack doesn't want to deal with a constant problem and deal with it positively every single time it comes up I suggest finding a new "main source of income".

You see, I was one of those POTENTAL customers who was reading this post and your right mcjaco I don't know the history of this speed issue in other posts and it is irrelevant. This is the topic I saw about his product and this is where I came for information about it. Instead I found the one guy who should be trying to make a sale being "humorous" as he put it.

House used to be my favorite show. Once the cast got switched around I started watching less and less. I am sad I missed out on this episode. That is a great accomplishment their product got exposure in the show!

Then I suggest you start watching again, as Foreman, Chase and Cameron and on the team while 13, and Taub are gone!

There are many types of "potential customers". There are those who are curious about our products and visit our site to find out information about what we offer. Then there are those who SAY they are potential customers only to tell you they no longer are because you were rude or insulting. If you did not find the Diamondback model intriguing, and that is one of our best efforts, I surely doubt you were serious about one of our smaller models to purchase. Please don't give me the "disappointed potential customer" song and dance. You have no interest in our products and never did.

Perhaps before you pass judgement on whether I am an A$$ or not, you should ask about how we handle customer service or what steps we take to bend over backwards to keep our customers happy. The countless hours I spend on the phone and writing emails helping people with their purchases shows that I do, in fact, care.

By the way, the speed of the models is not a customer service issue, contrary to what you say. It is a physics issue. If the speed of the models bothers you, simply don't buy it. I have never had a person call us and complain that they need customer service support because their model runs too fast.

There are many types of "potential customers". There are those who are curious about our products and visit our site to find out information about what we offer. Then there are those who SAY they are potential customers only to tell you they no longer are because you were rude or insulting. If you did not find the Diamondback model intriguing, and that is one of our best efforts, I surely doubt you were serious about one of our smaller models to purchase. Please don't give me the "disappointed potential customer" song and dance. You have no interest in our products and never did.

Perhaps before you pass judgement on whether I am an A$$ or not, you should ask about how we handle customer service or what steps we take to bend over backwards to keep our customers happy. The countless hours I spend on the phone and writing emails helping people with their purchases shows that I do, in fact, care.

By the way, the speed of the models is not a customer service issue, contrary to what you say. It is a physics issue. If the speed of the models bothers you, simply don't buy it. I have never had a person call us and complain that they need customer service support because their model runs too fast.

Never said you "didn't care" nor said "Diamond Back wasn't intriguing" nor did I say YOU personally were an "ass" Saying someone is coming off like an ass it totally different than saying, YOUR AN ASS.

As someone who has spent many hundreds of dollars over the years on model rides I don't see how I am NOT an potential customer. Right now I am looking at the Walthers mail order monthly sale catalog with your Comet Coaster in it. On sale for 139.98. Marked down from 169.99. It is the reason I even came into this topic. The name CoasterDynamix was mentioned in the ad and on this topic, it got my attention. So who are you assume who may or may not be a potential customer.

You are right the speed of your models is not a service issue if you mean it is something you can't do anything about. It is however a perception of my product service issue if someone brings is up and you don't explain why it is the way it is. Even if you have done it 1000 times. A simple text document saved on your computer to copy and paste whenever someone mentions speed would solve the entire problem.

I am done with this, good luck to you and your products.

A couple things.....

I get tired of hearing "it's too fast" as an excuse not to buy a kit. I would say 99% of the people who say that have never seen one in person (hence my original question). I don't owe everyone an explanation as to why this is.....half of these people have no intention of buying one anyway and just like to stir the pot. My lack of desire to explain elementary physics to such people does not reflect negatively on our customer service. I am on here addressing this aren't I? At least I am involved enough to interact with my customers. How many in the industry care enough to do that?

Second, why would I not assume that you are not a potential customer? Who would buy a kit that was "too fast to enjoy watching"? If you thought the Diamonback was too fast....don't get a Scorpion! LOL.

Did you all really just have a 3 page discussion on the speed of a Coaster Dynamix Model?

Jack and I may have gotten heated at eachother in the past, but even I can vouch for him as to the speed of the Coasterdynamix models. It is an O scale model, proportioned to 1/48 of the real thing. The trains travel at 1/48 the speed, over 1/48 the distance, in 1/48 of the time. So what do we get? 48 Laps on the Coaster Dynamix model in the same amount of time it takes for its full scale counterpart to make 1 lap. Simple stuff. Does it suck that you can't really see the train clearly as travels its course? Kinda. But its the way it all works.