TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Running!

Coaster Cow

I'm seriously thinking of doing the coast to coast this year. I brought up California to my wife and she was cool with it, saying we can only go to Disney one day while we're out there and be "tourists" at other places the rest of the time.

I am looking into a lot of runs here in the Southeast. There's an Atlanta Beer Run that looks fun. It's a 1/2 but it looks like a lot of fun. Savannah also has a great half as well. I think the next Orlando Disney race I might try is the Tower of Terror 13k, if they have it this year.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great photos, Dave - congrats!!

I do try to do local races in NY when I can, and I'll actually be living in Orlando for a few months this year, so I'm going to look into other races besides WDW too. I did sign up for the ESPN 5k in March, which I've never done. And I'm tempted to do the Danskin triathlon, if I can train more as a swimmer. I'd also like to do the Expedition Everest Challenge again.

Nay,

Depending on when you'll be living here in Otown, www.trackshack.com is a great place for simple 5k and 10k runs though the smaller less touristy areas surrounding Orlando. Tampa and Jacksonville also do several half marathons a year. Hardly anyone does anything between June and August for obvious reasons, but there are a few that do. Lots of running clubs here as well. If it wasn't for mine, I wouldn't have made it through the Disney Half!

I think I'm going to try for the Tri-2-B-Tuff Challenge, here in Jax, this fall. The Jax Marine Corps Half Marathon in October, the Outback Distance Classic Half on Thanksgiving morning, and the Jacksonville Bank Marathon in December. My husband wants to try for the inaugural Savannah Rock and Roll Marathon in November. There are a bunch of races we want to do, but they're all clustered around the same times. I'd like to do the Richmond Marathon, but it's the week after Savannah. I'd also like to try Miami, Melbourne Beach, and Myrtle Beach, but they're all within two weeks of the 26.2 with Donna, which I hope to do every year.

Within the next two years, we're probably going to go back to homeschooling, which means we can plan more destination races, without worrying about school schedules.

Depending on when you'll be living here in Otown, http://www.trackshack.com is a great place for simple 5k and 10k runs though the smaller less touristy areas surrounding Orlando.

Thanks! Depending on my schedule, I just might try to do the 5k at Universal at the end of the month.

I really like the Rock N Roll series too. I've done the half in Chicago for the past 2 years and absolutely love that course. Not sure if I'll make it back there this year, but I recommend it to anyone who can!

• 2 weeks later...

How's everyone's training or recovery going? I hope well.

I know it's just a 5k, but Universal is holding one next Saturday. I'm running it, I have stayed away from 5k's while training for the Disney Marathon, but figure, what the heck now that the Marathon has come and gone. If you're planning on running it, let me know!

Also, the Georgia Marathon up in Atlanta is on March 20. You don't get to run through any theme parks, but you do get to see a lot of scenic Atlanta and some of the Olympic areas (that are still left)... Just passing it along.

Happy running!

I took it easy, the week after WDW, but got back into training, last week. I have one more long run, this week, and then the 26.2 with Donna, three weeks from today. I think that will probably be my last race this "season," until next fall. I was looking for a spring race, but nothing was working out with our schedule.

I'd like to run the Georgia Marathon, but wish it were one week later, to coincide with my kids' spring break. I was thinking about the National Marathon half in DC, but my step-brother warned me that spring break + start of Cherry Blossom Festival = worst possible time to go to DC, so that's out. Then I was looking at the Flying Pig Marathon, but we have another school conflict.

I still haven't had a chance to run since the Goofy. I won't know my schedule for the weekend until Friday, but if I'm free on Saturday, I'll do the Universal 5k. Hopefully I can get back into a regular running routine again soon.

Tried to talk my daughter into doing the Run 5 to Keep Kids Alive race, this Saturday, for her birthday weekend, but she chose the overnight mommy/daughter outlet shopping trip in St. Augustine, instead.

I'm signing myself and my older two kids up for the 26.2 with Donna 5K, on February 12.

Hope the time off has given your knee a chance to heal, Renee!

Going to try for a long run, today, and then I have to work on my beach running.

Ran the 5K at Universal this morning. Sorry, no pictures as I was going for a PR for the 5K which I accomplished. The course was flat and easy. It was nothing like the Disney races, as Universal made it clear they were just the "host" for Orlando's longest running race which benefited local children who are in abusive situations.

There were more than 1,800 runners and walkers. We started out in the bus lot and ran into CityWalk between the Nascar Cafe and the Bridge to go to the Studios park. We turned left and ran in front of the stores and Maragaritaville and headed into IOA. Once in IOA, the crow loosened up and you could really run or walk your intervals without any issues. We ran all the way around IOA and exited in Seuss Landing and went backstage where there was a water/Powerade station (halfway point) and went into the Studios side on the backside of Rockit. The Studios was the simple loop over to MIB and back out in front of the park. The finish line was in front of the Hard Rock.

Like I said, the course was flat and easy, but there was no entertainment along the route. Universal had employees at each attraction/show out cheering us on, but honestly the Universal Security team was the best at cheering everyone on along the course. One thing I didn't like, they pressured washed parts of the pathway overnight on the IOA side, this made for a slick surface.

At the end, they had Scooby Doo, Curious George, and maybe one or two more characters out to get pictures with.

It was a fun race, I'd probably do it again if I do more 5k's. I think I'm going to stick to 10k's and higher as I feel I cheated myself out of running a good distance this morning. Saturdays are usually my long runs. People in my Galloway group did 12.5 today... I did a puny 3.1.

One good thing, I was in IOA at 9Am and walked on Potter, Dragons, and Hulk! I was in the car and on the way home by 1015! Not a bad morning!

I also got to run the 5k at Universal yesterday and had a blast! I really hadn't run much at all since the Goofy Challenge, so I just took a nice, easy run through the parks and enjoyed the atmosphere. My next races are the 5k and half marathon for the WDW Princess weekend - hopefully I'll get back into a better running schedule before then.

I'll try to do a full TR at some point, but here are just a few photos from yesterday...

179868_1827950062157_1342472273_2036359_3742681_n.jpg.a2344cf112b802097d4717da2e555248.jpg

166405_1827957622346_1342472273_2036390_397186_n.jpg.ae4d56bba69a5c1c2c0c8b83028657e2.jpg

180733_1827957982355_1342472273_2036392_5031181_n.jpg.415014d7f2f0548e62527b209d4b2c3f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried to run for years and always get sick of it. I usually make it about 2 weeks and just give up.

Well, I have let myself get so out of shape and that I am completely unhappy with my body and the way that I feel. So... I have been running for about 2 months now.

The first day that I ran I started out at about 1.5 miles

I then found a St. Patty's Day 5k that I'm going to run which gave me more drive and motivation.

I then worked my way up to 5k, which was taking me a while to run/jog.

For the past couple of weeks or so I set a goal of getting my 5k time under 32:00.

Tonight, I reached another one of my goals. I got my 5k time under 30 minutes. 29:13 to be exact. I'm super excited!

I have been pushing myself through the 5k to hit my goal time, then I bump the speed down and jog till I hit 5 miles.

I now plan to run the St. Patty's Day 5k in March, the Warrior Dash in July, and then the Crim 5k in August. Having these lined up has given me motivation, something to strive for, and I am now excited about running.

I have been feeling MUCH better! I am steadily losing weight, my back doesn't hurt anymore, and I have a lot more energy.

Besides feeling good, getting in shape, and staying healthy, my goal for doing this is to run a Disney 1/2 Marathon. I hope to share my first experience with some of you!

I still haven't been able to run as much as I'd like to, but I have the WDW Princess 5k and 1/2 marathon coming up next weekend. It should be interesting! I haven't signed up for the Disneyland 1/2 marathon yet but plan on doing so at the Princess expo.

If I get back in shape, I'm tempted to sign up for the Danskin triathlon in May at Fort Wilderness...

• 2 weeks later...

I did sign up for the Disneyland 1/2 at the expo yesterday, so I'm now officially in!

Ran the Royal Family 5k this morning, which was good, but pretty much the same as the 5k in January. It's going to be warm for the Princess 1/2 tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be struggling towards the end, especially with my lack of training.

Signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon in October, which will be my second marathon. This one, however, I am actually going to train for with a group of 5 people.

By the way, I took advantage of the great weather today and got a fantastic run in. Just the fact that last February we got two blizzards and today felt like 50s requires a run.

It does seem like Disneyland is filling up fast this year. I'm gonna sign up for the 5k at some point, too.

I ran the Princess half marathon yesterday, and it went pretty well, considering how little I ran since the Goofy Challenge. I wasn't sore at all after. I found that many of the lines for character photos were a lot longer than January, though. That didn't stop me from stopping, LOL. Except for the one with Mickey and Minnie by the castle, which looked to be a 15 minute line.