TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Fantasmic! Dragon !

after almost 3 months of postponment due to technical issues, disneyland's long waited dragon maleficent (or some call her murphy) was suppose to debut today, monday august 31 . there was suppose to be a press event at 4AM, but was cancelled . later in the day the showing of murphy at the 8:15 fantasmic showing, cancelled . and yet again, it is a question to know when murphy will show up . but in the mean while, disneyland was nice enough to send two pictures and a video of the dragon in movement .

some say its in rehersal mode and this not all she will do, at the fire point she's suppose to have her neck over the river, this video doesnt show that, micechatters hope they fix it before she debuts .

now, what do you guys think about murphy !?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave it to Disney to top my already high expectations. Murphy is dead sexy!

After all the hype and the delays, I was worried that the final result would be less that what everyone expected, especially after everyone was hyping it like crazy. In my opinion, it looks amazing, and if that's just rehearsal mode, then it's going to be a sight to see in full performance mode. It's a shame Murphy didn't debut today like expected, but it's going to be worth the wait, after seeing the new pics/video.

Her body looks so real, yet so cartoony! I can't describe it, but it's like someone ripped the dragon out of Sleeping Beauty and plopped it right on Tom Sawyer's Island. I can't wait to see this in person, however long it will take for it to debut. Thanks for posting this here!

Yay for Murphy. He (or she?) actually looks like the dragon from Shrek (but hey, it's a dragon right? Surly Dreamworks can't "own" the rights of the dragon!

It's a shame I didn't get to see fantasmic with the Dragon, but Fantasmic has to be the best ever show I have ever seen, and I just love it, so I am not too fussed.

Yay for Fantasmic! It's Fantasmagorical!

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but I gotta be honest, I am just not seeing this as a very big deal.

Let me explain...

First off, I do think the dragon looks great! That's not my beef with it. My issue is this...below is the image from Fantasmic! from 1992.

I worked at the park when Fantasmic! debuted and during it's first summer I worked crowd control for the show most of the time.

The image below is the image of the dragon that we as cast members had been shown for the months leading up to the opening of the show. (scroll down and look at it, then come back here) And finally, the night was here, I was at one of the very first cast previews.

We were having a great time that night...the show was fun, the crowd was cheering, and then the final climactic part of the show...the dragon!

And what pops out of the stage? Some head on a stick with a bunch of glowey stuff to hide the fact that it's just a head on a stick...

LAME!!!!!

I was expecting something that looked like the dragon from the picture! While the show far exceeded my expectations the dragon left a lot to be desired.

Flash forward now, what... 17 years later?

And they are now FINALLY getting around to making the dragon look "as advertized" in 1992?

I'm sorry guys, while the dragon does look good, IMO it's arrival is about 17 years too late for me to care that much.

Don't give me NOW what I was excited to see 17 years ago.

Sure, I'm glad a dragon that looks like the picture below was FINALLY created. And it does look GREAT!

And for those people who are just seeing the show for the first time I'm sure it will be cool but I gotta be honest, does this dragon REALLY *make the show*?

I personally don't think so. IMO, the dragon was just the vehicle that got you to see the river on fire. And THAT is the effect that really steals the show. Yeah, sure the head on a stick looked stupid and was lame, but you forgot about it's lameness as soon as you went "OMFG! The river is on fire!!!"

Had they extended the show with a whole new scene using some technology that looked like this I think I'd be a bit more impressed.

But swapping out the old dragon for a new dragon that looks like something that *should* have been installed in 1992 but they ran out of budget (that's at least how it looks to me), meh, I can take it or leave it.

It's a great show either way. So why is this such a big deal?

--Robb "I don't get it..." Alvey

Fantasmic!_Good_Clashes_with_Evil_(1992_CD).jpg.7ed6fafd89575acc5f9590ef20c4f831.jpg

The Fantasmic! Dragon as advertized in 1992.

^ What does the one look like in Orlando?

I still have yet to see that show. After seeing Fantasmic! about 300 times in it's opening year, and dealing with grown adults flighting like children over ground space I pretty am "Fantasmiced out" for the rest of my life!

--Robb

Its been a few years, but WDW's dragon is similar to the old Disneyland one. It looks like a paper dragon that glows. I agree, they should have taken 6 months and modernized the show with new scenes and effects throughout. I know they don't want to steal away WOC's thunder but they are two different shows altogether.

Orlandos pretty much looks like a head on a stick, if your sitting front and center it looks pretty good, but from the side of the stadium it looks like a head on a stick. It's not a terrible effect just could be a little better.

I don't have a picture, sorry

^ I'm just curious, do you think it doesn't work as well there because you've seen it in Disneyland where it's staged "in the park" versus staged "in a theater" in Florida?

Think back to the WDW version if you had ever seen the California one?

The only reason why I ask is, and keep in mind I've never seen the WDW version, that the only people I ever hear say the "Florida version is lame" is the people who have seen it in California, but the people who have only seen the Florida show absolutely rave about it.

Personally for me, I've seen Fantasmic! enough times in California to where I don't feel the need to see it in WDW, and I really don't think any show at WDW can beat Illuminations anyway.

--Robb

I think the dragon looks great...it's just disappointing that everyone that went to the park for the summer missed it and like Robb said it took this long to finally make the dragon look this good.

This could be said about alot of things at DL. The new blood running Disney now is doing a decent job of correcting many of the mistakes of the past penny pinching corner cutting regime who didn't give a crap about quality (TL and DCA anyone??). Can blame them for the ghetto looking dragon-head-on-a-stick we've been stuck with for the past 17yrs. If they were still in charge, we'd still be stuck with it forever. So I actually applaud the new management for caring enough to refresh a old show to make it as fantasmic as it should have been from the very start.

Just from a technological standpoint, a 40ft fire-breathing Animatronic dragon should be quite a sight to behold in person! Can't wait to check it out!

^ I'm just curious, do you think it doesn't work as well there because you've seen it in Disneyland where it's staged "in the park" versus staged "in a theater" in Florida?

Think back to the WDW version if you had ever seen the California one?

The only reason why I ask is, and keep in mind I've never seen the WDW version, that the only people I ever hear say the "Florida version is lame" is the people who have seen it in California, but the people who have only seen the Florida show absolutely rave about it.

Personally for me, I've seen Fantasmic! enough times in California to where I don't feel the need to see it in WDW, and I really don't think any show at WDW can beat Illuminations anyway.

--Robb

Yes Robb, I think I like it better in California mainly because it is staged in the park. I like how it is a part of things already there and how they use the Mark Twain, Columbia, etc. I also think the Rivers of America provide a better "stage" for the show. For me, it is kind of like if they tried to put Illuminations in the lake at DCA. It probaby would still be cool and people that had never seen Epcot's version would think it is awesome, but it works MUCH better in Epcot.

^ That's pretty much what I had thought, and to be honest, one of the reasons why I haven't seen it in Florida yet.

It sounds as though the show works well in the theater venue "if you don't know any better", but the show was originally made for the park props in mind.

--Robb

Personally, as much as I like the show at DL, I really hate not being able to go over to that side of the park from about 8:00pm to 11:00pm every night when the show is going on.

I've never gotten the "It's awesome because it transforms that area of the park every night" rationale. IMO, it ruins that part of the park every night and I would MUCH rather them have a stadium for the show like they do in FL.

I prefer the Disneyland version by leaps and bounds, but the Florida one is still good.

There's a couple things better at WDW. The Pocahontas segment is a better segue into the princesses than Peter Pan, even if the sequence itself is worse. The Jafar sequence is well done. I would say that ours also has better lighting, but I understand that DL's has now been overhauled so I guess that's questionable.

A lot of people criticize the Florida version for relying on the water screens more than DL, but I actually enjoy the bubble sequence since all the great Disney films are represented, rather than just Dumbo and Pinocchio.

Unfortunately, with the seating situation the way it is in WDW, and the show being cut back to just 3 nights a week, it's too much of a hassle to experience Fantasmic! anymore.

^ What does the one look like in Orlando?

I still have yet to see that show. After seeing Fantasmic! about 300 times in it's opening year, and dealing with grown adults fighting like children over ground space I pretty am "Fantasmiced out" for the rest of my life!

Can't say I blame you; CM's who have to deal with the public get my absolute respect and/or sympathy, let alone deal with the crazy crowd control involved with the shows.

I love Disneyland's Fantasmic, with or without a fancy dragon. Iknow that is the "climax" of the show, but there is lots of other cool stuff.

I thought Fantasmic in Florida was lame. It just doesn't work as well there.

Also,IMO, I will take the Peter Pan scene over the Pocahontas scene every day, cutting the pirate ship sucked. Although, I did like the Lion King part. I did not like it in the theater either, at least at Disneyland, because there is no stage, everyone gets a pretty good seat, but some are closer and some are farther. At Orlando, I don't enjoy getting there over an hour early into a stadium only a little smaller than shamu stadium and not getting a seat and having to stand. And it takes so long to get out.

I have seen both versions; DL new overhauled and WDW's.

I have to say they equally have their high and low points. Firstly, I like WDW's stadium location because it makes it more of an "event". The crowd was practically doing the wave as if we were about to watch a game. Even the actual stage is better: a mountain compared to a cabin.

I liked DL a little better because it's incorporated in the park, and because the sequences were better. It seemed to all make more sense compared to the WDW version. That spotlight in the beginning gave me chills. I was disappointed with the ending. WDW definitely has the better ending (murphy doesn't count yet). Nothing beats mickey on top of a freaking mountain, sending off fireworks.

What about the dragon in Orlando !!!! Are they gonna change that one too ?!!?

probably in the next few years, maybe more than that . . . disneyland's fantasmic recently upgraded their finale with different pyro and more laser lights, etc . disney's hollywood studios still hasn't recieved that treatement yet . and disney now has fabric mad elephants dancing on stage, a new tick tock crock, the two eels from ursela in the little mermaid, and a yet to debut dragon . florida still needs that as well .

i would expect dhs entertainment to upgrade fantasmic in a couple of years but who knows .

I also enjoy Disneyland's Fantasmic more than the WDW version.

For me, the thing that makes Disneyland's so awesome is the proximity to the action. Even if you get there late and end up in the back, you're closer to the show than 3/4 of the audience at WDW. Plus the Peter Pan scene is so amazing up close, that WDW's show instantly loses points in my book. Oh, and the boat at WDW that replaces the Mark Twain from DLR's version is just sad looking.

i would expect dhs entertainment to upgrade fantasmic in a couple of years but who knows .

Does WDW even need to upgrade?

Just look at how nutso the So Cal Disney fans are going over the "new dragon." My guess is that at any given Fantasmic! show, a good percentage of the crowd have seen the show at least one time before.

I'm also going to guess that is not the same for the WDW Fantasmic! crowd who are mostly seeing the show for their first and only time in their life.

If the dragon is still a crowd pleaser in WDW does it need to be replaced?

Disneyland can easily re-market an upgrade like this to their local So Cal audience and hundreds of thousands will show up just to see a new plastic dragon. But would the upgrade have the same draw in Orlando where to most visitors everything is new to them?

--Robb

Oh, and ps to scotchTAPE, you should probably read this thread:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31454

Does WDW even need to upgrade?

Just look at how nutso the So Cal Disney fans are going over the "new dragon." My guess is that at any given Fantasmic! show, a good percentage of the crowd have seen the show at least one time before.

I'm also going to guess that is not the same for the WDW Fantasmic! crowd who are mostly seeing the show for their first and only time in their life.

If the dragon is still a crowd pleaser in WDW does it need to be replaced?

Disneyland can easily re-market an upgrade like this to their local So Cal audience and hundreds of thousands will show up just to see a new plastic dragon. But would the upgrade have the same draw in Orlando where to most visitors everything is new to them?

--Robb

Oh, and ps to scotchTAPE, you should probably read this thread:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31454

I'm sorry robb . I'll be sure to not do what that thread said to not do .

Im not techincally saying that the WDW needs to upgrade im just saying it would be nice for them to upgrade theirs too, like something new and fresh you know ? It's kind of like you said before, it would've been nicer to see the actual dragon they advertise instead of some dragon head on a stick . But thats true though, most of the Disneyland guests are locals with annual passes so i would understand why Disneyland tries to make everything new and nice again .

OH THERE'S THIS ARTICLE SAYING MURPHY WILL DEBUT TONIGHT.

After months of false starts and frustrating anticipation, the Fantasmic dragon will finally take the stage at Disneyland tonight (Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2009) at 8:15 p.m., according to park officials.

Despite top billing, the oft-delayed dragon failed to appear during the Anaheim theme park’s Summer Nightastic promotion.

Expect big crowds along the Rivers of America tonight as the news spreads via the blogosphere, Twittersphere and Disneysphere.

During the rest of the week, Fantasmic plays at 8:15 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday and 9 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. over the four-day Labor Day Weekend (Friday-Monday). On high attendance days, Disneyland often adds a third Fantasmic show.

After Labor Day, Fantasmic switches to a weekend-only schedule (Friday-Sunday) until the Christmas holidays.

link : http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/fantasmic-disneyland-5250/