TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Or,

2014: unlimited refills

2015: park closure

2016: liquidation.

This would be a "better" scenario,

2014: Sidewinder (flat ride)

2015: Park operates as a water park only (ala Geauga Lake in Ohio)

2016: Liquidation of the theme park rides

Somebody please slap me. Darien Lake is not going to close. The issues that we seen this year are going to be fixed. Herschend will not allow DL to become the unwanted step child of the chain. This year, the park took two steps forward and one step back with the boardwalk area. The UFO and Raging Seas were two old rides that lived a good life and needed to be replaced. The only way that DL will close is if people stop visiting the park, and it cannot make a profit. I do not see this ever happening. DL is WNY's only "large" amusement park.

Or,

2014: unlimited refills

2015: park closure

2016: liquidation.

This would be a "better" scenario,

2014: Sidewinder (flat ride)

2015: Park operates as a water park only (ala Geauga Lake in Ohio)

2016: Liquidation of the theme park rides

thCAQ468GL.jpg.ffe058b85c2d8df38411d0702e4f4caa.jpg

It was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek. Witnessing the mediocre crowds and operations a few timesthis year makes me wonder is all. When people visit see 1/3 of the rides closed and 1 train on the coasters, a places image can become irreparably tarnished, regardless of the reason. Seeing a season pass ad for unlimited refills smacks of either marketing incompetence (i.e. not even a teaser to drum up interest) or a hint of no new addition next year. Call it bullocks, but my frustration is warranted.

Hopefull, but damn.

Somebody please slap me. Darien Lake is not going to close. The issues that we seen this year are going to be fixed. Herschend will not allow DL to become the unwanted step child of the chain. This year, the park took two steps forward and one step back with the boardwalk area. The UFO and Raging Seas were two old rides that lived a good life and needed to be replaced. The only way that DL will close is if people stop visiting the park, and it cannot make a profit. I do not see this ever happening. DL is WNY's only "large" amusement park.

O.K. Maybe I was being harsh in my last timeline about Darien Lake pulling a Geauga Lake, operating solely as a water park or closing completely ever! Darien Lake is the only major theme park in Upstate New York!

Update From screams cape:

"According to the latest gossip from Screamscape sources, Darien Lake and Herschend are ready to go ahead with the new Lake Monster conversion of Predator. The hold up comes from CNL, as they are the actual park owners… HFE is just on board to manage and run it for them. So the ball is in CNL’s court right now to approve the project and provide the funding while the quickly closing window to get it open for 2014 is still there."

So sounds like the park and managing company ate ready to move ahead but the owners haven't approved yet?

http://screamscape.com/html/darien_lake.htm

I don't really see why CNL wouldn't want to add this attraction to Darien considering both the actual park and Herschend are both on board with it. Logically I would say it's an involvement of Money. But if i'm thinking correctly, shouldn't the park see a boost in admissions if they add this ride similar to "the best new ride of 2013"? If they play their cards right that same award could go to Darien Lake in 2014. So in my opinion, I think it would be worth it to approve this big transformation, but then again as Screamscape said, they have a very small window to be sure this thing opens up in 2014... All opinions aside, its rush time for CNL to make a decision!

This park needs help, I visited in late august and unlike last year I was very disappointed with the park. Many of the attractions were down, including corn popper, twister and there was at least a 2 hour wait for superman. Sorry but waiting that long for one ride is out of the question for me. Sadly when a few attractions are down this park starts to suffer since it really does seem to make a big impact. Last year I had a good time, but not this year. The front of the park where you walk in is extremely dirty, would it really hurt to put in some new tables by the Tim Horton's instead of those old rickety ones? That is something I would expect at a park I pay $10-20 to get into. Don't get me started on the entrance bathrooms, as they just need to flat out be replaced with a much larger and cleaner bathroom building. This bathroom building is just no where adequate enough for a park of this size. The park just seemed a lot worse than last year overall. Some of the areas of the park look great but the entrance is really suffering since it is the first thing you see when you get to the park it should be the focus of rehab.

This is a more personal question and has no effect on my opinion of the park whatsoever but I am trying to figure out what caused it, I got a bad rash on my right thigh right after I visited this park, it did not happen last year when I went. The rash lasted more than 3 weeks before it was completely gone. Now this could very well be my own fault or my clothing I was wearing that day, even though my shorts completely covered the area in question and i have never received irritation due to clothing before. In that case I am willing to own up to wearing the wrong type of clothing. I am just wondering if there is poison ivy or some sort of other irritant in the park, I am only talking about the park area and the company picnic grove, I didn't go in the water at all or the campgrounds. I have been to other parks this year, and never a problem.

This park needs help, I visited in late august and unlike last year I was very disappointed with the park. Many of the attractions were down, including corn popper, twister and there was at least a 2 hour wait for superman. Sorry but waiting that long for one ride is out of the question for me. Sadly when a few attractions are down this park starts to suffer since it really does seem to make a big impact. Last year I had a good time, but not this year. The front of the park where you walk in is extremely dirty, would it really hurt to put in some new tables by the Tim Horton's instead of those old rickety ones? That is something I would expect at a park I pay $10-20 to get into. Don't get me started on the entrance bathrooms, as they just need to flat out be replaced with a much larger and cleaner bathroom building. This bathroom building is just no where adequate enough for a park of this size. The park just seemed a lot worse than last year overall. Some of the areas of the park look great but the entrance is really suffering since it is the first thing you see when you get to the park it should be the focus of rehab.

I defiantly agree, It seems that Darien Lake needs a lot of work on general park maintenance. For starters, they should give Mind Eraser and Ride of Steel new paint jobs, anything but what colors they are now that had faded into ugliness. Also some new lights for the Giant Wheel would be nice too!

All I know is the Viper was re-painted in 2010, and Boomerang was repainted in I believe the same year (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that) So in my personal opinion i could see the Mind Eraser being re-painted before RoS would be, seeing that its about the same length and height as the Viper. And considering the Viper was repainted different colors and the Boomerang was given the same default Vekoma-boomerang teal and white, I could see them possibly changing the color scheme or just as possibly keeping it the same. When will they do this? I wish they would do it now. but odds are if they are doing a nice new coaster, they may not focus on the small things as much. But if they aren't, Maybe we will see some fresh paint on the Mind Eraser... and by the sounds of it, the Front Entrance needs a lot more work than just a new Tim Horton's... Who would've thought! In all reality though, the season doesn't start until may. A LOT can happen in 6 months... whats to come for 2014? Looks like we have to simply wait and see!

All I know is the Viper was re-painted in 2010, and Boomerang was repainted in I believe the same year (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that) So in my personal opinion i could see the Mind Eraser being re-painted before RoS would be, seeing that its about the same length and height as the Viper. And considering the Viper was repainted different colors and the Boomerang was given the same default Vekoma-boomerang teal and white, I could see them possibly changing the color scheme or just as possibly keeping it the same. When will they do this? I wish they would do it now. but odds are if they are doing a nice new coaster, they may not focus on the small things as much. But if they aren't, Maybe we will see some fresh paint on the Mind Eraser... and by the sounds of it, the Front Entrance needs a lot more work than just a new Tim Horton's... Who would've thought! In all reality though, the season doesn't start until may. A LOT can happen in 6 months... whats to come for 2014? Looks like we have to simply wait and see!

The Tim Horton's itself is fine, definitely don't want to see that removed. The only thing I was complaining about is the tables. I really don't like to complain, and I wish I didn't have to, but it's justified in this case. Seriously, you can barely sit on them they are so run down. It wouldn't take much time to install new tables, heck 4-5 new tables and chairs from the Walmart furniture section would be a huge upgrade here. They could also just put in some benches in that area, tables aren't really needed. The bathrooms need serious work, just the one at the entrance was the worst, the nastiest Thruway bathrooms are better than these. I think the problem is there aren't any rest stops on the thruway on the way to DL from the buffalo niagara area so everyone rushes to the bathroom the second they get to the park and I don't blame them! Also I think the park needs more restrooms, every time I use them there is a long line no matter which restroom I use. The entrance area needs more work (the inside the park entrance area), but lets start with replacing the tables and chairs and fixing up the entrance bathrooms.

As far as rides, they should just fix up what they have, and worry about keeping the rides running the whole season, I understand things happen but having several rides/ attractions down by the end of the season at a smaller park where having more rides open helps to distribute the lines is a bad thing. I would also like to see the scrambler return, but again it's not a priority. Though a coat of paint doesn't matter as much to me as having clean, modern restrooms and not having 4-5 rides down per visit. Please don't touch my precious silver bullet, this ride is my reason for visiting this park, enterprise type rides are my favorite and this one definitely offers a unique take on the experience. Much different from the Huss enterprise that strates owns and brings to the erie county fair

Also the sleigh ride, what happened here, I was disappointed in this ride and I usually love it, but this year it just felt, old, bumpy and rickety. I know it was refurbed but it still needs some help, unless that is just the way it always was and I never noticed it.

Darien's restrooms are too small for the park. They definitely need to replace some of them and make them bigger. The worst one I encountered on my visit at the end of September (RunDEAD day) was next to the Ranger. Not only did it appear filthy it also seemed quite outdated and needing an overhaul. I never had an issue with the front gate restroom though I usually end up using it prior to leaving.

My biggest disappointment is still with Viper. They spend all that money to repaint the coaster back to black a couple years ago, added the new overlay on the train this year (whIch I really like though it was already peeling on one of the cars) yet the station still looks like crap. Even worse is that small building that's under the second corkscrew you pass in the queue is in shambles. I wonder if that has anything to do with the on-ride photo equipment as the camera is right there.

Sleigh Ride was closed on my visit but it never really was a fast ride since I've been going to the park (started visiting in 2000). I'm just glad they stopped making it go backwards as I thought that was pointless.

They just repainted Silver Bullet so I don't think it's going anywhere.

Viper was one of the many projects that was supposed to occur this season, but didn't due the boardwalk area eating all the construction resources. The mini golf course was closed, and that whole infield was going to be redone. That may happen this year, same with some other small "redo" projects that were put on hold.

They really don't need that small building in Viper's que line. They used to have vending machines in that small building in Viper's que line back when Six Flags owned Darien Lake. Now that little shack is just unnecessary because Viper hardly ever gets a long line past the station now a days. They really need to do something with Sleigh Ride either fix it up or get rid of!

Sleighride removal and UFO relocation anyone? Possibly...

Most likely it would be vice versa, since Darien Lake already got rid of UFO so maybe they'll move Sleigh Ride to where UFO was and put something else in Sleigh Ride's old spot!

UFO's platform was still there in September though the UFO sign was missing. It could be they didn't have enough time to completely remove the rides's remains. I think it's not coming back. Would be a nice spot to put the Scrambler back in.

I could see Sleigh Ride get the axe though I'm hoping it won't unless it's replaced with something or is part of an overhaul like what they did with Lakeside Boardwalk.

I was also under the impression UFO was undergoing a refurbishment, unless I missed new information after that announcement. As much as I thought UFO was a nifty compact thrill ride (somehow it doesn't make me sick like Round Ups), I think their safety requirements were pretty restrictive and cut out a significant portion of the family. Using a handy internet archive site I confirmed my memory that Darien Lake asked for riders to be 60" to ride which is pretty damn tall for a minimum height requirement. Thinking that it seemed outrageous I dug a little deeper to find that Six Flags in 2006 listed UFO as a 48" minimum height. Furthermore, Canada's Wonderland is asking 54" for their model. I have no idea what the manufacturer listed as their minimum height, but I know that State Inspection and Insurance Agencies can also force a park to raise it. Sometimes this can be at the park's decision, but that is not very common as most parks want as many guests as possible to safely ride. Where am I going with all this? Simple, if Darien Lake's only choice is to only allow riders 60" and above, is reinstallation really the best option when many newer rides of similar thrill and intensity are more accommodating to more people? I have been to Darien Lake several times seeing many different crowd levels, and each time UFO did not seem as popular as it seems to be praised by GP and enthusiasts. Capacity on this one isn't that fantastic to really kill lines either.

In my opinion, if it can come back at 48" or even 54", I'm open arms to UFO. However, if UFO came back at the very restrictive 60", I would heavily question if there were better options out there for new attractions. It may be just one ride, but irritating families and low ridership aren't exactly conducive in boosting revenue or helping generate more positive reviews.

^I don't know why Darien Lake would have such a high minimum height requirement at 60"? If they bring it back they should have lower the minimum height requirement to 54"!

Very true, 60" is quite tall when it comes to a minimum height requirement, but then again, the centrifugal force barely kept me in the ride at the top and i'm pretty average. So I hope I wouldn't be too wrong in saying it was probably a safety concern... right?

Those are some good thoughts but its probably cheaper to refurbish a ride rather than to replace it with a new ride. Maybe when they refurbish it they could make some modification or update to it so that the height requirement could be lower. Also you have to remember Canada's wonderland is in another country and such they probably have different restrictions for rides than NY state does. But obviously there haven't been any incidents on CW's UFO that I know of at least. Parks and carnivals can set height requirements that are higher than the manufacturers recommendation. I lIke sleigh ride and I wouldn't want to see it go but they need to fix it up. If it was replaced with a flying bobs style ride with the same type of ride experience I would not object however. But if it was replaced it would have to be replaced with the same type of ride. Or it would be cool if they replaced it with one of the new sea storm rides from Mack's website (ok but that is a bit far fetched). The highest minimum I have seen most park rides at is 58 inches, so if they got it down to 58 inches then that might go over better with the crowds.