TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^ It may be free, but the thing is a cash cow. You have to pay to rent tubes, pay to rent lock ers and with the place hitting capacity, basically require you eat there.

What I don't get is why they just don't make it a separate gate. This is their chance, if they put in a new gate, to do just that. With the lack of water parks and theme/amusement parks within 2 hours of the place (minus Key Lime Cove) they could make a killing.

They would certainly make a decent amount of money if Hurricane Harbor was a separate gate, but at this point it would just be horrible PR. Think of it this way: there are lots of people that already think that the park is overpriced, when you consider the gate admission price, $25 to park in the main lot, ridiculous food prices, locker policy, etc. The free water park is good for word of mouth and helps redeem the park a bit in the eyes of the GP, IMO.

At this point, the water park has been free for five seasons and it has become something people that have visited frequently have taken it for granted. Telling people that they would now have to pay an extra $30 for a water park that has been free for five years would be disastrous, even more so if they didn't add any new attractions to compensate. So while the park could have made a killing had they decided to keep the park a separate gate, as it was originally announced, they decided to make it free, and at this point, changing that policy might bring more money, but I think the damage it would do to the image of Great America would be much more significant.

Was at Six Flags today....really crowded and somewhat disasterous, but it was somewhat enjoyable.

I rode in order

Yankee Clipper (30 minute wait)

Loggers Run (7 minute wait)

Dark Knight (38 minute wait)

Viper (12 minute wait)

Was a nice day, I noticed how awesome out log flumes are....yep.

I was also there yesterday, and I found out that the slightest breeze will freeze Hurricane Harbor!

Raging Bull 4x (longest wait of the 4 was 31 minutes.)

Tornado 1x (5min)

Wahoo Racers 1x (no wait)

Vortex 1x (no wait)

Typhoon 1x (no wait)

Castaway Creek 1x (no wait)

Hurricane Bay 2x ( no wait)

Yankee Clipper 1x (10 min)

Scenic Railway 1x (5 min)

Iron Wolf 1x (5 min)

American Eagle Blue 2x (10 min)

American Eagle Red 2x (10 min)

Demon 1x (10 min)

Roaring Rapids 1x (Walk On!)

Viper 1x (5 min)

I also used the computers in Cyber Cafe, and I was surprised to see that they were free! I really never waited that long compared to the amount of people there.

They would certainly make a decent amount of money if Hurricane Harbor was a separate gate, but at this point it would just be horrible PR. Think of it this way: there are lots of people that already think that the park is overpriced, when you consider the gate admission price, $25 to park in the main lot, ridiculous food prices, fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy, etc.

Yeah, you're right. The but one ticket get one free, or the kids price tickets if you buy online are overpriced. And why don't you ignore the price of the $15 regular lot.

Food prices at any park ar ridiculous, so that holds no water. And guess what? Cedar Fair has had a moronic l o c k e r policy too, well before Six Flags. And Six Flag's policy isn't that bad.

Can we seriously drop the overpriced arguments? It's been quite a few years since I'd consider them overpriced. $70 for a season pass? You've got to be kidding, that's a hell of a deal.

So if anyone will be joining Dan and I on July 6th, please send me a PM before Saturday (7/4). Also let me know if you want in on our Gold Flash Pass ($34 - pay me back on the day), naturally you have to be a definite "yes" for the Flash Pass.

Hope to see some of you guys then!

Cameron.

The next seven days might be the slowest of the year... can't wait to see you guys at the park! It's way far off as far as weather prediction is concerned, but so far it looks to be sunny in the mid-80's. Heck, even if it storms like mad, it'll still be one helluva time.

Dan "Wants to see just how great this Flashpass dealie is" Smith

They would certainly make a decent amount of money if Hurricane Harbor was a separate gate, but at this point it would just be horrible PR. Think of it this way: there are lots of people that already think that the park is overpriced, when you consider the gate admission price, $25 to park in the main lot, ridiculous food prices, fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy, etc. The free water park is good for word of mouth and helps redeem the park a bit in the eyes of the GP, IMO.

At this point, the water park has been free for five seasons and it has become something people that have visited frequently have taken it for granted. Telling people that they would now have to pay an extra $30 for a water park that has been free for five years would be disastrous, even more so if they didn't add any new attractions to compensate. So while the park could have made a killing had they decided to keep the park a separate gate, as it was originally announced, they decided to make it free, and at this point, changing that policy might bring more money, but I think the damage it would do to the image of Great America would be much more significant.

But they have a captive audience. They could charge 150 for a season pass and people will go. Why? Because there is no competition. Look at the closest places for each side of the park

Theme park (excluding the closing Kiddieland)

2 hours, 45 min - Wisconsin Dells

3 hours - Indiana Beach

4 hours - Michigan Adventure

6-7 hours - Tie between Cedar Point, Kings Island, SF STL, Holiday World and ValleyFair!

Water parks are just as bad considering most require a nights stay at their hotel.

PR wise they would be fine. If they can survive their owns going bankrupt, loosing Deja Vu and general price increases through the roof; they will be ok.

So if anyone will be joining Dan and I on July 6th, please send me a PM before Saturday (7/4). Also let me know if you want in on our Gold Flash Pass ($34 - pay me back on the day), naturally you have to be a definite "yes" for the Flash Pass.

Cameron.

Ooh, so close! I'll be going on the 7th though.

Cameron.

Im leaving for Sweden tomorrow and won't be back till July 15th

Link Removed per the Terms of Service:

Posting Links or "Spamming" - You must have at least 50 posts if you want to create a post which sole purpose is to link to your personal website, update, YouTube video, forum or any other website. If your post count is under 50 posts and your link has not be pre-approved by an admin or moderator, your link will be removed. Please note - links to your website in your signature are acceptable.

^^ Not bad suggestions but here is my two cents on them.

1: Viper getting MF trains... Well I cannot see that happening as GCI has never sold them to run on non GCI coasters and why would they replace the trains if it is running fine?

2: I could see them doing this as the coasters attendence ratings have dropped sharply. Add some fire, paint and new trains (B&M Standup trains most likely, not sure what they would have to do to add floorless trains) and you have a new coaster (To the GP atleast!)

3: American Eagle.... Well I could see them retracking it but replacing the helix is not likely as how many coasters have had whole sections of the ride removed and replaced with different elements other the Phantoms Revenge?

4: That might happen, however the steel box is not going anywhere. Some minor updates in themeing would not be a bad thing.

5: Maybe not a coaster but a bunch of flat rides would fit in nicely.

^^ Not bad suggestions but here is my two cents on them.

1: Viper getting MF trains... Well I cannot see that happening as GCI has never sold them to run on non GCI coasters and why would they replace the trains if it is running fine?

It would also probably ruin the 3rd row "ejector seat" that I recently learned about. It is providing some of the greatest rides that I've experienced on any coaster!

GCI trains on Viper won't work out since they are made by entirely different companies..

http://www.greatcoasters.com/?p=trains

It says that they are able to fit the trains on existing coasters if they meet the standards. Not knowing what those standards are I can't say for sure if it is feasible or not. As for the 3rd row airtime, I think the Flyers get better airtime in all the rows because each row articulates independently instead of 3 rows on one car.

Not sure why Viper would need new trains to begin with. Although last night, after trying out the 3rd row from the post above (enjoyed it, but still like the back better for airtime) the bench cushion came up while ridding. I thought it was just me, but sure enough, it was loose and starting to come up upon checking.

I'm going on the 7th and theres a concert (Raven) starting at 7:00 so a couple questions since I've never been there on a concert day.Where are the concerts and does this pull a crowd to that area so rides there get a long wait time and ones far away get short wait times ? I know Raging Bull and big coasters pretty much always have long lines in the summer but do flat rides get shorter wait times? Final question, out of the two log flumes which one do you reccomend on a day when we are trying to get a lot in? And no, we are not getting flash passes because we just dont wanna pay for them.