TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mark Shapiro Visits SFGAm

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So maybe the locker policy speeds up dispatches. But at what cost?

The company needs to change their reputation for the best in the next couple years and enforcing a mandatory locker policy that costs money (no matter how minuscule) is going to make people mad.

I think we sometimes forget as enthusiasts that 99% of the money that is made is from the GP. Most people see extra costs as a hindrance no matter what the reason. Do you honestly think that most Americans are going to think twice about the speed of loading/unloading being affected by the extra money they are forced to spend? No, they're going to see it for what it is, a sham.

^I assume it is because Universal has a better reputation. It seems like Six Flags is always criticized while no one seems to notice that other companies have been doing the same thing for a lot longer.

I've heard the rumor about the park closing, and it is obviously not true. It is the only major park in the area, it is the chain's most profitable, rides continue to be added/planned, and the park would be bought by another company before being closed. I assume the rumor came from someone who found out about the chain's financial situation, saw bankruptcy coming, and figured that the park would close as a result.

I wanted to tackle one thing Robb said. About the leaving the stuff in the car, what do school kids on a trip or kids dropped off by their parents do? I saw that problem a lot today and I was only there 3 hours.

The park wants to make $$$ of games, then charge you for winning an item. This holds even more true with the giant items you win. I saw a kid tonight win a giant bouncy ball and then is told "sorry, you can not ride with this." So the kids gives Six Flags money for a crappy prize, then they give him the giant middle finger.

The lockers lead to delays when people have to be explained what they are at the entrance. They get pissed and just stand there arguing. Or in the case of the Demon, they just block the entrance period with the locker location.

This year, I have seen no problems with stuff being left at the station at Kings Island, ValleyFair, Nick Universe or Adventureland (with their awesome policy of it must go on the ride with you and it is your problem if it gets lost.) Yet at SF Great America and SF STL, there have been many delays due to the lockers.

My problem is not so much the fact the require lockers, it is the way they do it. If you are going to require a locker on lets say Raging Bull, why can I go on King Chaos or Whizzer with my stuff in a tub. That alone takes away the argument of "your items are not safe in the station" or the "your items make the station dangerous" idea. I've had the same problem with re-rides and enforcing the smoking policy. Just stay consistent.

On a positive, they have added pirate music around Buccaneer's Battle and it rules.

And to add to that, some stuff you have to take in the park with you. One thing that I can think of is the refillable souvenir soda bottles. They look like a great deal at $12.99 for the season with free refills all day and then $0.99 refills the rest of the season but you can't take it with you in line or leave in the station. I have to pay $1.00 each time I go to a coaster then it isn't such a money saver anymore. Then they added snack bars selling bottled soda in Superman and Nitro's lines.

I don't know if all Six Flags parks have it or not but Great Adventure has a prize check, $1.00 per item. You leave the prize a games area and I guess they give you a claim ticket to get it later.

^I assume it is because Universal has a better reputation. It seems like Six Flags is always criticized while no one seems to notice that other companies have been doing the same thing for a lot longer.

Actually, I'd say it has more to do with the fact that Universal's lockers are FREE. The free time allowed is based upon the queue time so it will fluctuate through out the day. If you leave stuff in beyond that period of time, you do pay the difference.

With that said, Six Flags is not the oddball. As others haven said both Cedar Fair and Busch have this same policy implemented. In fact with the opening of Manta, the cost of those lockers went up to .75 cents where as Kraken and JTA are still .50 cents.

One cannot fault Six Flags for attempting to exercised any possible route for revenue. I'd say within a few years, if the company is around in the same format, the locker issue will not even exist. People will eventually adapt and get used to it, now that the culture has been implemented in the Parks. I work for SeaWorld Orlando and have had to deal with lockers many times, very rarely do we get complaints regarding them.

SF is well aware of the common sense flaws the policy has, people go into guest relations every day and feel obligated to harshly explain how it doesnt make sense. The fact is it doesnt matter and the lockers will still be there so dont bring anything that needs to be put in one. This includes souvineer sports bottles, I dont understand why anyone would want to buy those when you cant even bring them in line, but people still do.

With that said, Six Flags is not the oddball. As others haven said both Cedar Fair and Busch have this same policy implemented. In fact with the opening of Manta, the cost of those lockers went up to .75 cents where as Kraken and JTA are still .50 cents.

It is possible people may not get as upset at Busch Parks because there are a lot less rides so you are using the lockers a lot less, the same with Cedar Point where only 2 out of 15 non kiddie coasters have them.

Where at some Six Flags parks where you have over 10 rides with lockers, you are going to be using the lockers all day.

This includes souvineer sports bottles, I dont understand why anyone would want to buy those when you cant even bring them in line, but people still do.

Probably because most people don't realize you can't take them in line until after it is purchased. No where on any of the banners advertising the bottles or at the food stands does it say it can't be taken in line so if you buy one befor riding anything or don't see anyone getting stopped with one people might think they can be taken in line. Of course if they mentioned that on the banner, I'm sure a lot less people would buy them.

I wanted to tackle one thing Robb said. About the leaving the stuff in the car, what do school kids on a trip or kids dropped off by their parents do? I saw that problem a lot today and I was only there 3 hours.

Get an all day locker. Why do they need to lug all their crap around with them all day long? They don't.

Or, supply their kids with a bunch of $1 bills for the locker if they REALLY need to schlep a bunch of stuff around the park.

The park wants to make $$$ of games, then charge you for winning an item. This holds even more true with the giant items you win. I saw a kid tonight win a giant bouncy ball and then is told "sorry, you can not ride with this." So the kids gives Six Flags money for a crappy prize, then they give him the giant middle finger.

None of this is true.

The lockers lead to delays when people have to be explained what they are at the entrance. They get pissed and just stand there arguing.

This is also not accurate.

This year, I have seen no problems with stuff being left at the station at Kings Island, ValleyFair, Nick Universe or Adventureland (with their awesome policy of it must go on the ride with you and it is your problem if it gets lost.) Yet at SF Great America and SF STL, there have been many delays due to the lockers.

This is an incorrect statement.

My problem is not so much the fact the require lockers, it is the way they do it. If you are going to require a locker on lets say Raging Bull, why can I go on King Chaos or Whizzer with my stuff in a tub. That alone takes away the argument of "your items are not safe in the station" or the "your items make the station dangerous" idea. I've had the same problem with re-rides and enforcing the smoking policy. Just stay consistent.

Do you actually believe this? If you do, you should click HERE

And to add to that, some stuff you have to take in the park with you. One thing that I can think of is the refillable souvenir soda bottles. They look like a great deal at $12.99 for the season with free refills all day and then $0.99 refills the rest of the season but you can't take it with you in line or leave in the station. I have to pay $1.00 each time I go to a coaster then it isn't such a money saver anymore. Then they added snack bars selling bottled soda in Superman and Nitro's lines.

Bullshit. You bought the cup. You deal with it. And if you're going to drink enough soda to warrant buying the cup then you've just saved yourself a *LOT* of $5.79 sodas which will more than cover the cost of a few $1 lockers you might have to spend to put your cup in.

If you're at the park all day and you drink 10 soda's then that's $57.90 versus $22.99. Even if you had to put your cup in 10 lockers that's still only $32.99 total for the day. Much better than $57.90. That's a GREAT deal for a family who share the cup. If you'd rather spend $57.90 instead of $32.99 because you don't want to put your cup in a locker, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT! And if you're not going to drink that much soda in a day...HELLO!!! DON'T BUY THE CUP!!!! YOU JUST WASTED YOUR MONEY!!!!

Just don't complain about the lockers. Seriously. DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!!!!

There are FAR better things to complain about at parks other than the $1 lockers. Find them.

Bitching about the lockers is stupid, pointless, and a totally ridiculous argument.

I'm just really sick of hearing about it.

Again, CEDAR FAIR AND BUSCH PARKS HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS!!! WHY IS IT PEOPLE HAVE ONLY STARTED COMPLAINING AS SOON AS SIX FLAGS STARTED CHARGING FOR LOCKERS???

--Robb "The stupidity of this argument gives me a migraine..." Alvey

The lockers lead to delays when people have to be explained what they are at the entrance. They get pissed and just stand there arguing.
This is also not accurate.

I dont know how this can be considered innacurate, my post on the previous page should illustrate that. Those things gave me nightmares. It causes even more delays at the station sometimes because its easy to sneak something in your shirt past the entrance person then a ride op on the platform has to deal with it and it screws everything up.

The lockers dont affect my day at all (anymore) and I could care less about them, im just citing personal hell experiences from the past to show that they are not the best way of dealing with loose items, regardless of what parks use them.

^ Then your park was not properly trained to enforce the policy or deal with the behavior of the general public. Hopefully this has improved since your employement there.

--Robb "Please stop talking about the lockers...PLEASE!" Alvey

I was curious, what makes this park the most profitable in the chain given they don't have the highest attendance of the chain.

Are they getting higher margins on per capita spending items? Is the park structured in a way that it has lower operating costs?

I'd say it has more to do with the fact that Universal's fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo are FREE.

The fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo lead to delays when people have to be explained what they are

I was curious, what makes this park the most profitable in the chain given they don't have the highest attendance of the chain.

Are they getting higher margins on per capita spending items? Is the park structured in a way that it has lower operating costs?

It could have something to do w/ the park only being open in the summer months as opposed to most of the year like magic mountain, and operating costs are much lower in the offseason with nobody there as opposed to being fully opened with a small crowd.

Its also possible that the park is seen as more of a family destination with not a whole lot of theme/water park competition except from maybe the Dells. Families tend to spend more per capita as they generally purchase food inside the park for the convenience and the little ones always want to play the arcade games.

Parking price is a big thing. Season pass parking is $70 for one person with no option to add to a 2nd person for a discount (that option does exists at SF STL,) front lot parking is 25 and back lot is 15. The prices are awful comnpared to other SF parks and theme parks in general. The even worse part is the fact that the season pass parking has already went up $5 since last October and talk is the regular lots might as well.

You can take the bus from the giant mall, but is more of a pain. Outside of that, there is ZERO outside parking. Every place with in miles tows after X amount of time. So no real way to get by it.

The Flash Pass also sells out fast. Even today, when it was basically school kids, people were still buying the gold ones. Right now, they run something like $96 for 2 people on the gold. The raise the prices depending on demand, so I've seen 2 person flash passes during Fright fest at around 112 for 2 people sell out in an hour.

Parking price is a big thing. Season pass parking is $70 for one person with no option to add to a 2nd person for a discount (that option does exists at SF STL,) front lot parking is 25 and back lot is 15. The prices are awful comnpared to other SF parks and theme parks in general. The even worse part is the fact that the season pass parking has already went up $5 since last October and talk is the regular lots might as well.

You can take the bus from the giant mall, but is more of a pain. Outside of that, there is ZERO outside parking. Every place with in miles tows after X amount of time. So no real way to get by it.

The Flash Pass also sells out fast. Even today, when it was basically school kids, people were still buying the gold ones. Right now, they run something like $96 for 2 people on the gold. The raise the prices depending on demand, so I've seen 2 person flash passes during Fright fest at around 112 for 2 people sell out in an hour.

You're right. They should just be letting everyone in for free and giving them a $50 Shoney's gift certificate as they walk through the gate.

Every 100th person gets a free tractor.

--Robb

EDIT! No, you know what, I will actually respond. I was just going to be a dick and make fun of this post, but when I read this again...

I've seen 2 person flash passes during Fright fest at around 112 for 2 people sell out in an hour.

All I can say is...

GO MARK SHAPIRO!!!!

If the guy's park is able to upcharge something at that much money and SELL OUT OF THE PRODUCT....

The guy is doing something *RIGHT*

I give him a HELL of a lot of credit and when I read stuff like that, I actually believe the company may pull themselves out of debt.

And you know what that means for the rest of us? That's right...

MORE RIDES

LESS PARKS GETTING SOLD

MORE RIDES

SO QUIT YOUR BITCHING!!!