TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFMM Question

The Disneylander

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the answer Robb posted a while back about that same question.

Why does the sign still say Gift Shop? I don't think that little store at the base of the sign has been opened since 1974

If memory serves correctly (and I'm not 100% sure about this) I believe there is an ordinance in Santa Clarita which says the sign for your business needs to be within a certain distance of the business itself.

Magic Mountain proper is too far away to have a sign at the freeway, so *technically* the lollipop sign is actually for the Gift Shop. (even though the shop hasn't been open in decades)

So in order to get around the ordinance and still have a sign for the park, it needs to say "gift shop" on it.

--Robb

The sign actually reads:

Six Flags

California

>>>>>>

Gift Shop

It is showing that both the park and the gift shop is

>>>>>.

I believe SFMM has a shopping pass which allows guests a certain amount of time to shop in the park, without paying admission. (As many parks do.)

Too lazy to upload photo:

www.themeparkreview.com/sfmmupdate_020308/sfmmupdate_001.jpg

I believe SFMM has a shopping pass which allows guests a certain amount of time to shop in the park, without paying admission. (As many parks do.)

I would like to know how this works?

I know Knotts dose this during the Christmas season, but they set up turnstiles and ticket checkpoints in the park.

[/url]

Too bad Disney did away with theirs. It was a great way to get to ride Mission:Space for free.

Whoops, shouldn'ta said that...

I would like to know how this works?

Many parks will allow you to enter the park, for free, to "shop" if you leave your drivers license at guest relations at the front of the park. You have 30 minutes to enter, buy your item, and return to collect your ID.

If you do not return in 30 minutes, you agree to be charged for a full day's admission.

I know that Disney, Universal, and Busch Parks used to offer a "shopping pass" as they understood that the parks carried items that could not be found anywhere else, and sometimes a guest just wanted to come in to buy something, but didn't want to spend a day at the park.

Now with many items being available online, or the shopping services offered (for example, most of Disney's products are now available either online or you can call them to place an order for park-specific merchandise) and because of this many parks have done away with the shopping pass.

That's pretty much how I understood it to work. I've personally never used it, though.

--Robb

^Yeah, and some parks even offered up to 60 minutes.

Seems like something that enthusiasts abused quite a lot. Not cool if you ask me. If you're going to be whorish enough to credit whore Vapor Trail at Sesame Place, pay the money.

I hope that parks stop doing it just to spite the cheap credit whores!

(That is the park where I heard the majority of coaster enthusiasts doing the 'shoppers pass' thing)

^I'll admit I thought about doing that at Sesame Place, but I also would have bought something for my niece while I was there.

Then when I finally bought a Busch pass last year I didn't have to worry about it, but I still felt like a freak going to the park just to ride Vapor Trail.

Speaking of signs...I wonder why they removed the word "California" from the Six Flags sign on that big structural steel thing by the main entrance? Is the property still known as that, as the big "lollipop" sign next to I-5 still says?

Eric

^Don't quote me on this, as I'm not 100% on this, but it was my understanding that it was corporate's attempt to do away with "individual park images" and make a uniform product. The new management team wanted to drop "Six Flags Magic Mountain", for "SIX FLAGS Magic Mountain" I also don't think it helped that it wasn't the only Six Flags park in the state, either.

Now with many items being available online, or the shopping services offered (for example, most of Disney's products are now available either online or you can call them to place an order for park-specific merchandise) and because of this many parks have done away with the shopping pass.

Do you know the sites to shop for park stuff? I tried looking online and couldnt find the stuff sold in the art shops. Like some of the Disney Land artwork, coins, statues, etc.

I would imagine that, especially in the case of Disney that having "World of Disney" not 100 yards from the Disneyland entrance and also one in FL alleviates any need to have a shopping pass.

Other than special merchandise events at Disneyana or something, I can't think of any in-park merchandise you can't also get at World of Disney. And who else besides AP's care about the merchandise events anyway.

I'm not sure why a Santa Clarita sign ordinance would be relevant to SFMM since SFMM sits outside the City Limits. There is a sign ordinance regarding how tall a sign can be, and pretty much every business on the west side of the I-5 around that area has a sign that would be in violation of the ordinance if the City Limits extended that far.

My understanding has always been that the sign served to draw attention to how Magic Mountain's entrance is this exit right here, and there is/was a little gift shop right off the freeway too.

The only park I've ever heard about the shopping pass thing is Sesame Place. I've never been there, but from what I hear it's supposed to be a lot of fun for little kids.

I doubt Six Flags would do that, because people would go into the park for 30 minutes on a "shopping pass" and get a season pass upgrade for $54.99 and then leave...

Hmm.. I bought a book on Six Flags Theme Parks in that gift shop. In the book had an artist's drawing of Superman The Escape (which was supposed to open in '96, but was delayed till '97. Passholders did get a preview night in '96 though).. So the shop was probably open in 96 (or late 95)?

"Passholders did get a preview night in '96 though" (bryceone)

Yes, we did. We had to bring a special ticket that was mailed to us with our date and time on it to get in the park (it was closed to the public at the time). I thought it would entitle us to one ride on Superman, but it turned out to be unlimited rides. The park had Superman running at 90% power, which meant it wouldn't reach 100mph, but as fast as 90.

As a bonus, Viper, Ninja, and Revolution were also open for this ERT. It happened to rain on the evening I was there, but everything still operated. S:TE in the rain is...interesting---and painful!

Back to topic...I have never been to that gift shop, nor do I know when it was last open. If I recall, the sign was put up in 1972 or 1973.

Eric

The only park I've ever heard about the shopping pass thing is Sesame Place. I've never been there, but from what I hear it's supposed to be a lot of fun for little kids.

I doubt Six Flags would do that, because people would go into the park for 30 minutes on a "shopping pass" and get a season pass upgrade for $54.99 and then leave...

Huh? $54.99 ?

You need to show your ticket when upgrading. You can't do it with your "Shoppers Pass!" Ticket... you doubt Six Flags would do it. Even though it was just said they do? :/ Confused.

As a bonus, Viper, Ninja, and Revolution were also open for this ERT. It happened to rain on the evening I was there, but everything still operated. S:TE in the rain is...interesting---and painful!

Eric

Yes, it was raining on the night we went (Monday, Dec 9, 1996 I think). Did not know the other rides were even open till a few years later when I read about it on message boards.