TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading this discussion makes me think of the day the Dark Knight Coaster at SFGAm opened. After the park closed that night I walked through the queue and it was beat to hell, a bunch of the fences were broken (that was SFs fault the way they designed the queue in the old theater though, they were asking for those gates to break), people had stolen all of the joker cards that were glued to the walls (in areas people couldnt reach), and big chunks of paint were ripped off the posts in the outdoor section of the queue. I couldnt believe it, the ride had been open ONE DAY and people had already destroyed the line. People

Got my third ride on T:S today, and this time the misters in the tunnel were turned on! That was a great element, especially on a warm day like today.

Has anyone noticed that the ride ops are getting better at moving the line through the preshow? The first two times I rode, I noticed a lot of the seats were empty as the trains went by. It bothered me that people were stuck in the preshow when they could be riding the coaster. Today, the trains were full and, though the line was longer than last time, it took only 30 minutes to get through the queue.

I like the theming, though I still haven't paid much attention to the storyline in the preshow, as I am easily distracted by flashy lights and mechanical torsos. Common yells something about "You have to get out of there now!" and the sweaty chick is all, "Hi, I'm in...Valencia." And then you ride a roller coaster. Oh well, as long as the the ride delivers!

Where does all that speed come from on the first drop? It's a real nutgrabber! Terminator is a great addition to MM's lineup, and I can't wait to find out what's next.

I would say Thunderhead still gets my top GCI vote, with Roar West taking the 3 spot. Maybe it's just because Thunderhead was my first ride on a GCI, or maybe its because I miss the Smokey Mountains! Still, T:S is definitely my favorite woodie in California.

Just in case I didn't say earlier, TS:TR is a really smooth and overall fantastic woodie! My favorite GCI of the few I've gone on. I was actually surprised that it had a flame effect, I guess SFMM is pushing a "Flame On" movement for their new rides. Either way, TS:TR is one of the all-time great GCI coasters because of its smoothness and overall experience.

I went on Opening day and I didn't know if they were going to add stuff after opening.

Expect to see more MINOR enhancements/changes/new whatevers in theming over the next few weeks. Keyword: MINOR.

I was at the park yesterday for the first time since the KROQ party and it was interesting to go through "normal" operations at the ride. Noticed a few things...

- LOVE that they have security walking up and down the queue (not just here but at other rides as well). Seems to keep the line jumpers in check (dont get me wrong, they still try, but arent as brave).

- The first preshow starts before they can get everyone inside. I assume this means it is on a timer and not activated by the attendant. By the time everyone piles in, its halfway over and people dont know whats going on.

- They added a stanchion in the first preshow to keep people back from the props. Perhaps they will add a permanent railing like they did in the third room (under the moving Terminators).

- The TVs in the second preshow were out so it was wierd to hear audio that wasnt quite loud enough with no real "context" as to what was happening. Fortunately, an engineer came with a remote and turned them on right as we left so the next group would see it. They also have a lot more lighting going on in there now...not sure what the point of it is.

- The special Terminator screen really isnt in a great position for people to notice. You dont stop in that area long enough to even get a chance to check it out. Not sure where else they could put it where people would "get it" without it being in an area vulnerable for destruction. It also seems really slow compared to the The Dark Knight version.

- The workers dont "yell" to keep moving. They are just polite and say right this way or enjoy your ride or something.

- They seem to try and keep 1.5 to 2 train loads of people on the stairs.

- Glad to see they added covers to the speakers. Good not only for inquisitive fingers, but also for the elements and what not. I still think they need to do something to the front of the trains.

- The audio on our train went out right at the start of the ride I told them when we got back and it looks like they were actually going to make a call about it.

- The mist in the tunnels was a nice touch (not present during the preview).

^On-ride audio can be plagued with problems, hell even California Screamin isnt safe from it, I rode that 5 times one day, and 3/5 times the audio either shut off mid course, or just wasnt on at all. But it's good to hear that SFMM is really adapting the new ride to meet its demands

I actually went to SFMM the other day and rode Terminator three times once during the day and twice at night. After the day time ride I was really unimpressed and thought it was a waste of money. The two night time rides were fantastic however. I give it a solid 8/10 due to it being too short. Also during the second night ride they allowed us to skip the preshow in the line that was a plus. Honestly I really think the preshow is a waste of money. If they ever get rid of it ill be in line to take on of the tv's they have.

^The pre show is only a waste if you go through it multiple times in one visit, I remember at the KROQ night, the TPR member in front of me and I were completely blown away by it and how cool it was that SFMM was finally trying to create an experience rather than just slap a name on a ride. Sure it's not the most amazing theming job, but a huge improvement for SFMM

Edit: post 555, like the Domino's deal

Honestly I really think the preshow is a waste of money. If they ever get rid of it ill be in line to take on of the tv's they have.

So you'd rather wait in a line and watch nothing?

I'm not sure I understand your complaint. It's not as though while you are watching the pre-show a bunch of empty trains are being sent out because you're not in the station. You're not going to get on the ride any faster by NOT watching the pre-show.

The pre-show is there to give you something to look at while you're waiting in the line.

The alternative is to just stand in an empty room full of people, or worse, outside in the heat waiting through a bunch of switch backs.

Is that really better?

--Robb "Without the pre-show the queue wouldn't be much different than Superman: The Escape." Alvey