TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

Just rode for the first time yesterday and loved it! It is an enjoyable, fun ride!

My comment on the pre-show rooms: I liked them enough and the young-uns I was with (7 and 12 years old) really liked them. However, I don't care what they do in there, I just really appreciated an air-conidtioned break from the heat!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So anyone know what's up with Terminator? Rode for the first and only time Friday night, 2hr wait, which was expected for a holiday weekend, so no big. Not being local, was my one and only opportunity to check it out, probably won't be able to get back again for a long, long time. Wanted to experience it in all it's glory with all the efx intact while it's still new, so it would have been worth all the effort.

Unfortunately, the train I was in had no sound, so no "take the tunnel' for me . And worst of all, no fire efx whatsoever! Didn't see any fireballs the entire time I waited, so it wasn't just off for our train. Didn't watch any previews of the preshow either, so I don't know if everything was working in there too. But it seemed odd, like something was suppose to happen in there, but didn't. Just some loud inaudible forced onscreen drama, moved from room to room for more of the same, then up to the loading platform.

All this aside, the coaster itself was completely amazing! Totally craps all over my Roar, would never even think the 2 were made by the same company they offer such completely different ride experiences. The unexpected pops of air throughout sent me into coaster heaven, and zipping in and out of the tunnels was a blast. Love woodies and this is one of the best I've been on, so it was totally worth all the traveling expenses and cost to get there. But a small part of me feels cheated I didn't get the full experience, I figured it would be awhile before SFMM let all the efx lapse, but not this soon! Was this just a really REALLY off day or have they already given up on keeping up the efx??

Wow, I'm surprised. At Termination Day, there was a train running with no audio. I'm quite surprised that they still have not fixed it! Bummer about the fire, that really does add a whole different element to the ride. Glad you enjoyed the ride though!

---Brent

"...the train I was in had no sound, so no 'take the tunnel' for me" (speedracer)

I believe that was Train 2. That's why when I rode it, I turned around at the top of the lift and yelled, 'HERE THEY COME!!!" and then again just after passing through the station and yelled, "TAKE THE TUNNEL!!!" A few other riders enjoyed that.

When you don't have what you need, improvise!

Eric

^ LOL! Sure wish you had been on my train that night!

Thanks guys, at least I now know it wasn't just my bad luck. Hopefully this is all just growing pains as they work through the typical prototype kinks and such, and not the beginning of the end for the efx.

Yeah, no, the pre-show will be around for a long time, there's not really much that can't be easily replaced (speakers, TVs and lights) really the only thing is maybe the Terminators in the last room might not sway anymore, but it wouldn't be detrimental to the per-show itself. And I just have to look at X2 to see they still have the fire and audio on the trains going (most of the time) to see that they'll at least try to keep it running for a few more seasons.

^^If you're referring to a forward-downward slant, all coasters are designed that way. Should a train stop in that block, it will roll forward on that slant once the brakes release to continue forward. If the block were evenly leveled, a stopped train in that block would be stuck there once the brakes release.

I was probably just seeing things, but is the brake run on a slight slant? I doubt it, but I'm wondering if anyone else thought they saw that

---

^My bad, I meant to say a right hand slant

Yes there is a slight right-hand angle to the break run. This was brought up elsewhere during the Prowler construction. Apparently, its a technique that GCI uses to reduce wear and tear on the braking mechanisms.

How it works is that it forces the train to "settle" to one side, allowing the fins to better align themselves with the braking mechanisms. Especially if there is a turn leading into the brake run, there is a shuffle due to the change in lateral force. Eventually as the train moves across the straightway it would settle on its own. GCI, however, uses the slight bank to help it along so the fins pass through the brakes more uniformly therefore reducing the wear on the fins and mechanisms themselves.

If you look at photos their other rides, particularly Prowler and Evil Knevil you will notice it there as well. Pretty ingenious, but I too was confused when I first saw it.

^ I never noticed that, but maybe that's because I'm a little slanted myself.

But that is indeed a good idea. Wooden coasters tend to have a bit more play, so "forcing" a train to one side all but guarantees that it'll line up with the brake fins.

Eric

^The pre show is only a waste if you go through it multiple times in one visit, I remember at the KROQ night, the TPR member in front of me and I were completely blown away by it and how cool it was that SFMM was finally trying to create an experience rather than just slap a name on a ride. Sure it's not the most amazing theming job, but a huge improvement for SFMM

Edit: post 555, like the Domino's deal

If I'm correct, I may have been the TPR member in front of you... I remember meeting you that night while in line for Terminator...

Anyhow, the theming is nice, but I'll admit that the pre-show is starting to actually annoy me. Then again, I've been through the show sixty times now... I guess it's good for general public though.

Ride is kicking some serious you-know-what right now... rode it tonight and it's fast and furious just like a good wooden coaster should be!

Enjoy the pre-show while you got it. Next year it will be gone.

LOL!

Might not be that out of the question. Realistically, how much longer will the cash strapped SF care to continue paying the inflated licensing fees for a franchise that's pretty much dead in the water? With the movie just out, there's some interest now, but a year or more from now, will anyone really care enough about the Terminator theme for it to continue to be a draw?

I could totally see them saving big bucks by eventually removing any references to the franchise and just go with a generic post-apocalyptic theme. Can still have some sort of pre-show, onboard sound and other efx, just nothing directly related to Terminator.

If I'm correct, I may have been the TPR member in front of you... I remember meeting you that night while in line for Terminator...

Anyhow, the theming is nice, but I'll admit that the pre-show is starting to actually annoy me. Then again, I've been through the show sixty times now... I guess it's good for general public though.

Ride is kicking some serious you-know-what right now... rode it tonight and it's fast and furious just like a good wooden coaster should be!

Oh okay that was you, I thought it was you but couldnt quite remember what screen name you had said, you seem to have blown my ride count out of the water, it's great to see that SFMM has made such a great hit with enthusiasts and guests alike

Edit:^ Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't whoever made Terminator pay SFMM for advertising? And not SFMM payed the Terminator people for licensing?

Might not be that out of the question. Realistically, how much longer will the cash strapped SF care to continue paying the inflated licensing fees for a franchise that's pretty much dead in the water? With the movie just out, there's some interest now, but a year or more from now, will anyone really care enough about the Terminator theme for it to continue to be a draw?

I could totally see them saving big bucks by eventually removing any references to the franchise and just go with a generic post-apocalyptic theme. Can still have some sort of pre-show, onboard sound and other efx, just nothing directly related to Terminator.

Couple of things I want to point out, the movie has made $350 million worldwide so far, kinda lackluster stateside with only about $122 Million but that's not the point really the movie was $200 million or so to make so The Halcyon Company (the company who actually owns the rights to all things terminator after the third movie and who SF would be paying royalties too if that was the deal) and all the companies involved with the movie will most likely make a small profit. I'm sure the rest of the planned trilogy (Yes there will be two more movies to get through and to keep interest in the ride going) will get made keeping the ride semi-relevant for quite a few more years. And it's too early to guess how long the license is good for, and how long SF will remain in debt after the restructure going on now with the bankruptcy.

^Most of the time in these situations, Six Flags would most likely pay a certain amount of money to use the right to the names and images each year, how much and for how long are up to the two companies when they make their contract.

^ Interesting to know, have only heard mixed/bad reviews, didn't know they already had more flicks planned.

^^ Don't know for certain either, I just recall hearing that even Paramount Parks had to pay license fees to it's own parent company Viacom at the time for the use of the Paramount franchises. And even Universal still pays Speilberg license fees for the use of his franchises. SF could have a different arrangement but I thought this is how it worked.

If SFMM was paying the licensing fees, then why pick Terminator? It's a nightmare for the gp with all of their "It's Terminator, but it's made out of wood," and "SFMM just slapped a name on their coaster" comments. I always figured they were approached by the Terminator people, but I easily could be wrong

I remember at WCB this question came up, and the response was something about the corporate offices working out a deal with the Terminator licencing, and while SFMM was planning out coaster the two projects just kind of happened to time out together.

And even though the general public will get confused that it is a wooden coaster themed to Terminator, I think it's safe to say to matter what a park theme's and builds a ride to, the General public will still be confused over what it is. (Exception being Disney) For good example's see the Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said thread.