TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

When will Disneyland build another major attraction?

By major attraction I mean Splash Mountain or Indiana Jones, NOT Buzz Lightyear/Winnie the Pooh. Or revamping existing attractions like Space Mountain or the Submarines.

I mean whats it been 10+ Years?

I suppose that Disneys major financial investments will be towards that bastard step-child park---Disneys CA Adventure.(Which even with the Tower of Terror still disappoints)

For those people who will defend CA Adventure, I love to compare that park to another one that opened about the same time, Universals Island of Adventure, that park kicks ass!!! An example of how it should be done.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's see the Subs are being revamped into the new Finding Nemo thing, Superstar Limo is getting Monsters Inc .. they have hinted at the expansion of DCA into the parking lot behind the park at some point coming soon.

Personally I enjoyed DCA alot .. I think it has to do with the fact there wasn't any huge crowds when we were there so everything was more enjoyable.

In the past ten years the Disneyland Resort has gotten a WHOLE NEW PARK with more attractions on day one than Disney/MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, Disney Studios Paris, DisneySeas and even the upcoming Hong Kong Disneyland.

Oh, but YOU don't like that park, so therefore it's not good?

I have news for you, DCA is one of the top ten parks in America regardless if you like it or not. DCA also is home to the most "E Tickets" opened in the least amount of time at ANY Disney Resort.

California Screamin' is a great ride, Grizzly River Run is a great ride, and while I personally might not like Soarin', it's VERY popular with Disney's target market (so much so that they've put it in WDW.) And while Tower of Terror might not be as good as Florida's IMO, it's still a GREAT ride.

So yeah, I do agree with you that it's a bummer that "Disneyland Park" hasn't gotten a major E ticket since Indy, but quite frankly, neither has Magic Kindom in Florida or Tokyo Disneyland. Both those park's last "E Ticket" was Splash Mountain. And the last major ride that Disneyland Paris got was Space Mountain in 1995.

And yes, while Islands of Adventure is a park that I agree is "how it should be done", it's also "how it should be done" when your competition is the four parks of Walt Disney World. Anything less and the park would have been a failure next to the competition. And even still, do you remember those first few years of IOA where you could Dragon Hop in the middle of a Saturday?

It is not necessarily "how it should be done" when you the #1 or #2 destination resort building a long-term investment. Disney has the luxury of being able to open a new park with fewer attractions and it's a hit with their target audience. I was so surprised with DCA the first time I went in 2001. I mean, did you visit Disney/MGM, Animal Kingdom or Disney Studios Paris in their opening years? I did, and WOW...compared to them, DCA seemed like a park that had years of development already!

Try to see things from the persective of people who visit these destination resorts once every 5 to 10 years.

Now, keep in mind, that even having said all this, the Disneyland Resort is my least favorite of the four Disney Resorts. So while I mostly agree with you, and I would love to see a new E-ticket at Disneyland, I do try to see things through a different set of eyes.

--Robb "They don't make parks for "us", they make them for their target audience." Alvey

I went to California Adventure for the first time in December 2002 or January 2003 (sometime then!), and I wanted to kick whatever mouse website said how bad it was. I personally spent more time, and still do, then Disneyland. Although being new and fresher then DL did take a role in me doing that, it mantains that safe Disney atmosphere, while providing some more thrilling rides and not having Disney characters raping me every ten minutes (notable exception: Stanley)

About DL having no new E-Tickets, I'm sure they are planning something, and in the mean time, many people still haven't walked through the gates, and will soon be doing so. They arn't going to make rides because we want some, they are going to make rides when it is deemed profitable to create a significant investment because they know it will be payed off in the form of more customers = more money or something else that will feed the hungry Disney bankers.

Wow. Yeah, DCA sure sux. Which is Why I wish I woulda did two days at Disney when I was out there for solace. Didn't have time to do much in DL because I spent the day at DCA.

Sure, Screamin' wasn't what I thought it was gonna be, it was still good. And soarin' was something I'd only do at each park probably once, but DCA was a whole new park added to Disneyland RESORT. And Tower doesn't suck.

Try living in Southern West Virginia, when the closest coasters (and only 2 in the state) are 3 hours away, and to get to the nearest theme park, you have to drive at least 4 hours or more. Freakin' Whiner.

^^^Alright Robb, granted Disneys CA Adventure introduced many new attractions, But lets talk about those attractions, like the Orange Stinger or the Golden Zephyr, I expect those cheese-ball attractions at the annual Orange County Fair, NOT a Disney Park!!!

I like many others I hold Disney to a higher standard, and those crappy attractions are fine for the traveling circus, not DISNEY!!!

When you visit Disney you feel as though you are traveling thru many unique and different lands, not so with Disneys CA Adventure.

I mean where the hell are the Disney Imaginers? I would guess that Walt is rolling over in his grave over some of the attractions they came up with for Disneys CA Adventure.

DCA should be much better than it is,and I can only hope that it will improve sometime in the future.

^ I somewhat agree, I wish it could have a few more rides that are like big thunders or splash mountains...although i guess orange stinger and golden zephyr are targeted more towards the kiddies..I guess I dont like it as much because it's more for little kids. It just doesn't quite seem to have the original charm that DL does.

Amen to that. Besides, DCA does have a handful of what I would cosnider spectacular rides... TOT, California Screamin' which is probably the best launched Intamin coaster out there, and Grizzly Run is on par to be considered a 'mountain'. Wish we had a park like this in WDW.

^^^Alright Robb, granted Disneys CA Adventure introduced many new attractions, But lets talk about those attractions, like the Orange Stinger or the Golden Zephyr, I expect those cheese-ball attractions at the annual Orange County Fair, NOT a Disney Park!!!

I like many others I hold Disney to a higher standard, and those crappy attractions are fine for the traveling circus, not DISNEY!!!

You mean like the tea cups and dumbo?

And Golden Zephyr? You do realize that the ONLY other ride like that left IN THE WORLD is found at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. And the Sun Wheel, the only other ride like that IN THE WORLD is found at Coney Island. So they really haven't built rides that you can find at your local county fair. In fact Disneyland has more rides you'll find at your "local county fair" than DCA does. They just happen to have a lot more 'bigger rides' to hide that fact. But keep in mind, they have had FIFTY YEARS to evolve that park into what it is today. Have you seen photos of DL when it first opened? Not too much there!

Think about it, you find those types of "County Fair" rides at EVERY Disney Park. They off-set the E-tickets.

The issue here is quite simple: you don't like DCA. It's not that it's a good or bad park, it's that you don't like it. And that's totaly ok, a lot of people don't like it. I mean, I'm not knocking you, I can totally relate! For example, I don't like Animal Kingdom! (Sorry Reed!) But I deal with it. I just simply don't go there as often when I visit WDW. And think about it, they have WAY less to do than DCA! And even when they get Expedition Everest, they'll still have less to do! Animal Kingdom opened like 7 years ago, and they are just now getting a major coaster. At least DCA opened the doors with one. I'm bummed you don't like DCA, I think it's a beautiful park, especially at night, but hey, the park isn't going to be for everyone. It's not the best park they have ever built, but IMO, it's certainly not the worst, either.

Look, I do agree with you, I want Disneyland to get another E-ticket like Journey To The Center Of The Earth just as much as the next person. But I also think that DCA is a pretty fun park as it is, even though I wouldn't complain at all if they too got another major ride, like Rock N Roller Coaster.

But I also enjoy those 'little' rides for what they are.

--Robb "I probably ride Orange Stinger on every trip to DCA and enjoy it just fine!" Alvey

stinger.jpg.64e4eba39a1d2281888ddc09fac78eb3.jpg

I mean, did you visit Disney/MGM, Animal Kingdom or Disney Studios Paris in their opening years? I did, and WOW...compared to them, DCA seemed like a park that had years of development already!

I went to both MGM and Animal Kingdom the first year they opened and I hated both parks when I first visited them. MGM I thought was a disaster, I think only 2 rides (Great Movie Ride and The Backlot Tour). I hated Animal Kingdom even more. They had what, 4 or 5 attractions (not counting the animal walkthroughs), and each had ridiculous lines and then they closed the boat rides to have even less attractions. And the 2002 expansion was great , adding what is basically another Dumbo ride and a set of coasters that you can find at many parks now.

They are still my least favorite WDW parks but I have grown to like MGM more but I wouldn't even miss going to WDW and skipping Animal Kingdom. Despite what Disney says, I still see it as a zoo with some rides and attractions thrown in, which I can see at home (Philadelphia Zoo and I can ride Primevial Whirl in Atlantic City, NJ without the Dino Theme)

Speaking of Primevil Whirl, did anyone else think it ran like shit, especially for a Disney ride? It was just horrible, it ran worse than the non-Disney clones, imo. Dinosaur was ok (I was expecting Indiana Jones, haha, boy was I surprised!). The best ride at Animal Kingdom, I think, is Kali River Rapids. What an incredible rapids. I'm sure Expedition Everest will take the cake next year, though. That looks badass.

-kip-

I can't belive your saying this. Space Mountain reopened YESTERDAY! It is WAY better than before, so I give you your new E-ticket attraction. Not worth the 200 minute wait they had yesterday, but still very cool and thrilling.

I personally LOVE DCA because California Screamin is one of the best coasters I've ever been on, ToT is awesome (probably better then Supreme Scream), Soarin is AMAZING, GRR is the best raft ride I've ever been on, and overrall, the whole park rules! Disney was created for FAMILIES to enjoy.

If you want thrills, drive another 15 minutes farther and go to KBF.

Brent

ADMIN EDIT: Edited some sentances out. The tone of the original post was too harsh. People are allowed to have opinions!

^ IMO, A rehab of a ride that I have been riding for the past 27 years is NOT a new E-Ticket, sorry. Also, he never said anything about wanting thrills, he said he wanted a better "Disney Experience." Before yelling at someone, read the guys original post! BTW, I edited out some of your harsh comments, because, quite honestly, they just weren't necessary.

--Robb "Even with better effects, Space Mountain, IMO is NOT a new ride!" Alvey

But if they installed that brand new manufactured Space track in elsewhere, then you would conisder it one.

Like it was said, currently Disney's going to just rape the 50th. Then later, that is when they build a new ride to retain crowds. Disneyland is doing better than expected right now!...so it could be a bit.

^ Well, sure. If it was installed somewhere else and themed to something else OTHER than Space, it would be a brand new E-ticket. But the reality is, they re-built the EXACT same track layout with some new effects with the same name! For example, had they built a 2nd Space Mountain right NEXT to the original, called it Space Mountain: Mission 2, and it was the Disneyland Paris version of the ride, then THAT would be a new E-Ticket!

A good example would be when they built a clone of Indy at Animal Kingdom, but themed it to Countdown to Extinction. It's the exact same track layout, exact same ride vehicle system, but it's a totaly differen theme, and thus a different E-Ticket ride (although it's arguable if it's actually an E-ticket!)

The Matterhorn didn't count as a "New E-Ticket" in 1978 when they re-did the mountain and re-themed it to what it is today, so why should Space Mountain count?

Those who remember the Matterhorn previous to the re-theme of 1978 will know EXACTLY what I'm talking about and know that it's pretty much the same thing as what they did to Space Mountain this year.

--Robb "Old man!" Alvey

1978matterhorn.jpg.90697750ab902d10229ac11e881afa8b.jpg

The Matterhorn *cough* New *cough* for 1978

Yeah Im not a big fan of Animal Kingdom either. Lucky the one and only time I have been was with our annual passes. Its a nice park, there just is not very much to do....especially for a full day. It is true I have yet to do the Safari (fast passes were out...and it was a 60min wait), but we did just about everything else (including most of the shows) in less than a half day. The Everest coaster looks very neat though....I bet in another 5-10 years..Animal Kingdom will be a great park. Like someone said, MGM was not the best the first few years it was opened..but now I really like it (other than the new version of the animation studio). While I have not been to DCA, it looks like a park which has been there already over ten years with all the things to do (just like Islands of Adventure).

\

I personally LOVE DCA because California Screamin is one of the best coasters I've ever been on, ToT is awesome (probably better then Supreme Scream), Soarin is AMAZING, GRR is the best raft ride I've ever been on, and overrall, the whole park rules! Disney was created for FAMILIES to enjoy. And Maliboomer, omg, so much better then SS, it may be short, but is beautifully mastered and themed to those old test your strength rides so well, its the best rie EVER!

I edited it a bit too.

And yes, I agree, CA Screamin is the best launched Intamin! (see avatar message).

I guess a good question is where will Disneyland build another major attraction? Sure, they're revamping the subs, they just re-did Space Mountain, and maaaayyyybe they can build something on Big Thunder Ranch. My guess, of course, is that something will eventually have to come out.

Their last new major attraction, The Indiana Jones Adventure, was built in part of the old parking lot. That strikes me as funny, given the flak that SFMM gets for building its "parking lot coasters."

As for DCA, I've been a few times, but really haven't explored everything. Sometime, I'll have to go and spend the entire day at DCA and not even go into Disneyland.

Eric