TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Farenheit not open in October

Not so much with Hersheypark but then again considering how warm the past winters in the mid-atlantic have been the last several years, I am somewhat surprised the theme parks in that region ( including Hersheypark ) haven't extended their seasons? Of course staffing could be an issue though.

At the very least I'd like to see some coasters open for Christmas Candylane in December. If they can run them in 30 degree temperatures for Springtime In the Park, they can run them when it is 50 degrees out like it was when I went to Christmas Candylane last year.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like to see Hershey open at last one coaster during Christmas. If Dollywood and Beech Bend can do it, there’s no reason Hershey can’t. Dollywood just closes them down if it falls below a certain temperature so Hershey could easily do the same.

As for Farenheit, if it is closed, I doubt it has to do with staffing. True, they may be short on staff, but why would they close they’re new popular coaster when they could close something like Sidewinder or Trainlblazer.

I pretty sure Fahrenheit will be open, it's just they haven't updated the list yet. However, if it really isn't going to be open, I'd have to imagine it would be because of staffing issues. From what I've heard, it's pretty hard to get people to work at amusement parks in October.

One of two things is probably going on here....

1)The ride list has not yet been updated from last year's

2)Fahrenheit may not be accessible due to construction of the new wave pool/lazy river across the midway (although if this is the case, I have no clue how they are planning on getting guests back to Midway America).

-Mark

I would also like to see Hershey open at last one coaster during Christmas. If Dollywood and Beech Bend can do it, there’s no reason Hershey can’t. Dollywood just closes them down if it falls below a certain temperature so Hershey could easily do the same.

As for Farenheit, if it is closed, I doubt it has to do with staffing. True, they may be short on staff, but why would they close they’re new popular coaster when they could close something like Sidewinder or Trainlblazer.

I wonder if the state pf Pennsylvania is the reason why the coasters don't run during Christmas? Sounds odd but my husband remembers hearing from someplace where that state has restrictions on when and which park rides can be open during the off season for safety reasons.

I know Pennsylvania is quite strict on saftey standards for rides and such but telling a park which rides they can/can't run say during Christmas..I never heard THAT before.

Pennsylvania is actually a rather large state, not as big as Texas, California or Colorado but still big enough where one city could have a ton of snow while it would be 70 and sunny in anothe rpart of that state.

For example the weather in Erie is VERY different than Philadelphia's and both cities are in the same state.

Harrisburg-Hershey's winters are pretty much on the same par as Baltimore and Philadelphia's but often different than say Pittsburgh's.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it is confirmed that Fahrenheit will be running for Hersheypark in the Dark this October.

http://www.hersheypa.com/events/details.php?id=7660

October welcomes your entire family for a frightfully good time at HERSHEYPARK IN THE DARK. With 50 of our most popular children and family rides, including Stormrunner, Sidewinder, Lighting Racer, Fahrenheit and the Wild Mouse coasters, you will delight in the unique excitement of the holiday with great food venues, special kiddie shows, and other great entertainment available.

The next question is, what are they going to call it?

The next question is, what are they going to call it?

How about Fahrenfright?

I think it's a little unnecessary for HP to change their rides' names for Halloween. Just my opinion.

changing the signs is when it gets a little unnecessary.

I'll surely head up there sometime tho, nothing like rollbacks on Storm Runner!!!! (true story,) or riding everything in sweatshirts.

And it's impossible for a park like Hershey to stay open 365 days. You can not justify staffing 300+ people (guessing) and scheduling them when you dont even know the weather. And no ones going to work if they just say if it snows then we don't open. And staffing 300 people when the weather is 40 degrees and raining and maybe 5 people show up to the park is pointless. It's also a perfect time for construction and the rides to get all their security checks done.

• 3 weeks later...

It still seems to be a matter of who you ask as to whether it's going to be open. A friend of mine just received this response from them today:

Unfortunately, Fahrenheit will not be open during your visit this October, but don't forget about all of our other thrilling rides that will be operating for Hersheypark in the Dark... like Storm Runner! In 2009, Hersheypark will be introducing many great additions to the Boardwalk, as well as Fahrenheit being open, so be sure to plan your upcoming 2009 visit soon!

Thank you for writing,

Hershey Entertainment and Resorts

I also e-mailed them the link mentioned above and asked them why it's listed there if it's not open. They just wrote back to me insisting it wouldn't be open and they sent me a copy of the rides list. Of course they neglected to mention the link I sent them stating that it would be open. I think these people answering the e-mails are just looking at the rides list and assuming it's not open.

Who knows at this point. I've e-mailed them twice (first response is posted in this thread), each time getting e-mails back from the same guy. The second time he said that he checked with the head of rides and maintenance, and they confirmed that it would be open.

And if they're updated ride list shows it as being open, then maybe these other people are just looking at the old one?

Maybe they're hedging their bets. It would be better to not include it in the list, and if they are able to run it, well it's gravy. On the other hand, if they say it's going to be open and decide not to run it, it's a downer.

As far as running coasters in December in PA, it's not just the rides you have to worry about. Imagine the wind chill on your skin when it's 32 degrees F or so and you're racing along at 55 mph. A few years ago, I rode the Wave Swinger with my niece and nephew when the air temp was around 30 degrees and I'm thinking "Am I totally freaking nuts or what?" The kids of course loved it.

As far as running coasters in December in PA, it's not just the rides you have to worry about. Imagine the wind chill on your skin when it's 32 degrees F or so and you're racing along at 55 mph. A few years ago, I rode the Wave Swinger with my niece and nephew when the air temp was around 30 degrees and I'm thinking "Am I totally freaking nuts or what?" The kids of course loved it.

Back in the 80's, The Washington County/Hagerstown, Maryland Home Builders Association had a carnival at the now defunct Hagerstown Fairgounds ( FWIT...Hagerstown is only about an hour-hour and a half from Hersheypark ). What makes this interesting was that the carnival was held in JANUARY and there was still some snow on the ground left over from a storm that had hit the area just a week before. The temps were in the upper 30s/low 40s but oddly those fast rides like the Scambler, Roll-O-Plane, Tilt-A-Whirl, Round-Up, Octopus and the rides like them..even the Ferris Wheel didn't have a problem finding adults to ride them. meanwhile the kiddie rides weren't so lucky...the parents wouldn't allow their kids to ride them as they felt there could be a chance they could catch cold but they could care less if their teenagers would ride the scambler with an air temp of 40.

Go figure !!!

The Entertainment Schedule for HPITD is up.

http://www.halloweeninhershey.com/entertainment.php

The Rides list has yet to be updated and still lists Rodeo. I'm guessing that the park will probably update the list sometime on monday or sometime next week. Once they have Howler on the list, but not Fahrenheit, then I will believe that Fahrenheit wouldn't be operating. But since the ride is listed on the event description, I would think it may operate.