TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Obama or McCain or Beemerboy?

Who do you favor in the election?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you favor in the election?

• Obama
    • McCain
    • Beemerboy

Well, being a RAGING homosexual, . Obviously I'm voting for Obama. Not my favorite, but he has more to offer me than McCain ever will. Plus, my parents are hard core republicans so my sister and I have to cancel out their votes.

Oddly enough my boyfriend is a republican (Wierd I know) and he has yet to explain to me the amazing-ness of McCain.

What I like most about Obama besides his more pro-gay side is his support for the middle class. I also have heard that McCain will possibly bring back the draft. Now I'm not sure if this is true nor do I believe it as of now. If it ever becomes official than there is no way in hell he will ever get my vote. Call me a coward, call me what you want. My dad being military I give all my respect to those who serve, but serving should defiantly be ones choice. You shouldn't be forced to do something you don't want to do.

I had more to say but I forgot...oh well.

And for all you 14, 15, 16, and 17 year old's, please tell me your not just saying who your parents are voting for. I was that way when I was 15, then you know what hit the fan and I came to a serious realization about politics. Don't get me wrong, I'm far from a bachelors in politics, but I know what I need to.

Oh and...

I pretty much vote Democrat every election because A. I'm not rich and B. I'm not a religious fanatic.

But Obama is an awesome candidate regardless of party. He stands for change. I mean who actually likes things the way they are now (except for arms dealers)?

Amen to that! (No pun intended)

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^

Hey hey hey, this raging homosexual supports McCain.

I just think there are more important things in running a country than something like

marriage. McCain supports a contract between homosexual couples giving them all the benefits of marriage anyway, so really people who see themselves not voting for him on reasons of gay marriage are really just basing their vote on the absence of a title. =/

I'm not a McCain supporter, but I haven't come across anything that implies he'd reinstate the draft. Can anyone point out some specific reference?

It'll be interesting to see how Hurricane Gustav will affect the race. It's already caused the GOP to rearrange their convention, and both sides are bending over backwards to see how their supporters can help out the Gulf Coast in the event of another Katrina-like disaster.

Although I agree that Bush deserved to take the hardest knock for the poor response to Katrina (as Truman said when he was president, "The buck stops here"), there was plenty of blame to go around. Looks like people are being smarter this time, at least.

^^^

I just think there are more important things in running a country than something like

marriage. McCain supports a contract between homosexual couples giving them all the benefits of marriage anyway, so really people who see themselves not voting for him on reasons of gay marriage are really just basing their vote on the absence of a title. =/

Oh I could care less about marriage. While yes McCain says he will give us benefits, so does Obama...and then some. Such as the Don't Ask Don't Tell, Obama wants to get rid of it, while McCain says we're a threat. I'm sorry, but last time I checked, my sexual orientation doesn't effect how I fire a gun or however I defend my country.

^Thanks, so why is it that Bush was the one always talking about it?

BTW Joe if you could find a Harangody or McAlarney avatar I will buy your lunch next year at Dollywood on Spring Break.

Obviously, you missed the 2002 State of the Union speech when Bush singled out Ted Kennedy for his work on NCLB.

Any teacher getting excited about Obama and what he'll do for education better be careful for what they wish for. My wife, a teacher, is dreading what could happen. Anything coming from Obama regarding education will have NEA written all over it. I wonder what DC school Obama would put his kids in. Definitely not a public school. Remember Chelsea Clinton and Sidwell Friends?

Sarah Palin...

She's only been governor (of Alaska) for a year an a half. Her previous experience was as a mayor of a small town outside Anchorage. She has no foreign policy experience. Beyond Alaska, she has no experience.

Before making his decision, McCain only met Sarah Palin once, at a meeting, before calling her a second time about being vice president. That's about the extent of how closely McCain vet his choice.

Sarah Palin's husband works for BP offshore oil, a conflict of interest blatantly obvious considering her stance on "Big Oil first" energy policy (to drill our environment to hell, even though it will have little effect on gas prices a long time from now). Speaking of environment, she sued the Bush administration for listing polar bears as an endangered species because she was worried it would interfere with oil drilling in Alaska.

She thinks creationism should be taught in public schools.

She ran on ethics reform, but is currently under investigation for several charges involving hiring and firing of state officials.

How has someone so inexperienced come so close to becoming vice president, or even president? How do you feel that she could be the one who could potentially be charged with leading the US in the volatile international scene that exists today.

^How has someone so inexperienced come so close to becoming president?

- 3 years in the senate

- only showed up for 143 days

- voted "present" most of the time instead of voting on important issues

- Decided to run for president from day one

- has no political accomplishments

- has a way with words, but has no actions to suport his words

I'd rather have an inexperienced VP instead of an inexperienced president.

Something is fishy with the "wholesome" Palin family. Now, the teenage daughter is pregnant.

How convenient that she is 5 months pregnant, and the youngest child is 4 months old. I suppose that squashes the rumor that the baby with downs syndrome is actually the daughters...that is, until the unfortunate miscarriage takes place in a few weeks. I'd be willing to bet that she isn't really pregnant.

Even if she is pregnant, this goes to show how well the abstinence only preaching that Palin is so fond of works. Perhaps if she offered her daughter access to birth control this trainwreck could have been avoided.

I find it hard to believe that McCain knew about the knocked up daughter when Palin was chosen.

I think the Palin family is nothing more than Jerry Springer quality trash. I guess that's why Republicans are eating it up so much.

^Thanks, so why is it that Bush was the one always talking about it?

BTW Joe if you could find a Harangody or McAlarney avatar I will buy your lunch next year at Dollywood on Spring Break.

Obviously, you missed the 2002 State of the Union speech when Bush singled out Ted Kennedy for his work on NCLB.

Any teacher getting excited about Obama and what he'll do for education better be careful for what they wish for. My wife, a teacher, is dreading what could happen. Anything coming from Obama regarding education will have NEA written all over it. I wonder what DC school Obama would put his kids in. Definitely not a public school. Remember Chelsea Clinton and Sidwell Friends?

Weird because he has said he wants merit pay and to hold teachers accountable, 2 things that are as far away from the NEA as you can get. There is also almost no way possible the gov't can screw up schools anymore then they have now.

Again, why even in political conversations is it always about what the other candidate doesn't have as opposed to what your candidate can bring.

So what are McCain's ideas on education?

^^As far as listing Obama's inexperience again please address how the Republican's can attack that, then put someone second in command with less experience? I have never said Obama had lots of experience, I just think experience is overrated.

^Like I said a few pages back, McCain is for merit pay for teachers too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_john_mccain#Education

Also:

Something is fishy with the "wholesome" Palin family. Now, the teenage daughter is pregnant.

Even if she is pregnant, this goes to show how well the abstinence only preaching that Palin is so fond of works. Perhaps if she offered her daughter access to birth control this trainwreck could have been avoided.

Yes, because we KNOW they didn't use a condom or other means of birth control, obviously, since those are 100% effective.

You know what assuming does, right?

At least the family practices what they preach. She's having the baby and facing the consequences head on. What more do you want out of a pro-life family? To get an abortion just so you can call them hypocrites?

I think the Palin family is nothing more than Jerry Springer quality trash.

And yes, because no non-"trash" families ever have pregnant teens. God, stereotype much?

^^I understand that you feel very strongly for the Republican party and are following McCain, but why is it necessary for you to come back with attitude and sarcasm every time someone posts something against McCain. I'm all for discussion, but you bash people for following Obama and believing he's the right choice, yet the instant someone mentions some problem with the Republican party, you come back with rude comments and make just as many assumptions as everyone else does. You assumed Supertrooper was stereotyping, and you know what assuming does, right?

See, I can do it too. Doesn't make it right to make rude comments to others when they voice they're opinion. A nice discussion would be nice for once in this thread, since clearly there are strong opinions, and would make for a nice debate.

^Whoa, whoa, whoa. You call ME out on sarcasm, and yet ignore supertrooper's?

This goes to show how well the abstinence only preaching that Palin is so fond of works.

And the way he's judging people?

I think the Palin family is nothing more than Jerry Springer quality trash. I guess that's why Republicans are eating it up so much.

Does he know the Palin family personally? And whether he knows them or not, does that give him the right to classify them (or ANYONE) as "trash?"

How in the world is he NOT equating Republicans with "Jerry Springer quality trash?" And he's basically saying that if you have a pregnant teen in your family, then you're obviously trash. How could you possibly take it any other way?

^I wasn't ignoring Supertrooper's sarcasm, I was just using him as an example. And frankly, the comment about the abstinence, although sarcastic, is a valid one. If Palin is going to preach abstinence and how it will help our world, yet her daughter got pregnant, then how is it that someone should believe that she'll be able to reduce the number of teen pregnancies in our country if she can't even keep her daughter from getting pregnant.

And I agree that the statement about Republicans being equal to Jerry Springer trash was over the line, since obviously that is not even remotely the case. But as I said, I was just using him as an example.

^^^

Oh I could care less about marriage. While yes McCain says he will give us benefits, so does Obama...and then some. Such as the Don't Ask Don't Tell, Obama wants to get rid of it, while McCain says we're a threat. I'm sorry, but last time I checked, my sexual orientation doesn't effect how I fire a gun or however I defend my country.

Thats not the purpose Don't Ask Don't Tell was introduced. It has nothing to do with one's ability to fight. It has to do with the morale of the troops. Unfortunately, as most people know, gays aren't exactly the most popular people when it comes to straight guys, who make up almost all of the military. In war, everyone needs a mutual respect for each other and have each other's back. Some guys just cant find it in themselves to respect homos the same way they would the rest of their peers, and so it was decided it was in the best interest of everyone to just let it not be talked about.

I don't necessarily support DADT, but i don't disagree with it either.

^^What I'm saying is how do we know that they didn't use protection? You can still get pregnant while on the pill or using a condom (even if her mother didn't let her get on the pill, she couldn't stop her daughter or her daughter's boyfriend from buying condoms without her permission), so you can't prove that the couple didn't use any sort of contraceptive. And that's information that we'll probably never be privy to, so we'll probably never know.

But just to assume that it was her mother's abstinence only beliefs that got her daughter pregnant, while ignoring the possibility of a broken/defective/ineffective condom simply isn't a fair accusation to make.

P.S. I'm a sarcastic person in all areas of life. My sardonic personality is not limited to political debates, but is used equally among all topics on this roller coaster forum. Look around. You'll see. I like to think I'm very well-rounded with my sarcastic remarks, thank you very much. Just don't hold them against me when everyone else around here is using them too.

^^^I know that we have no idea what the daughter used, but his comment was directed toward her idea of abstinence, which clearly didn't work on a family basis, so why should it work on a nation-wide basis? Palin is preaching sex-until-marriage, yet it clearly didn't work. Any other circumstances are unknown, so I agree with you that we won't know anything about that, but protection isn't the problem, it's the abstinence not working that caused the problem

P.S. I'm also a sarcastic person, so I know it's easy for people to misunderstand it sometimes. It's just that some of your comments that were directed towards people were a bit over the top in my opinion. I hope there's not hard feelings. I guess this is just what happens when it comes to discussing politics.

I'd like to interject a note of caution into this thread. For the most part, this thread has remained fairly civilized, with posters being respectful of each other's views. Unfortunately, decorum seems to be slipping.

Please follow this simple rule--preview before you post. Shooting from the hip (or lip) is rarely the best option. No flame wars, unfounded accusations, or obvious baiting of other posters, please.

Leave that nonsense for the talking heads on the cable netowrks; after all, they're getting paid for it.

Chuck

Weird because he has said he wants merit pay and to hold teachers accountable, 2 things that are as far away from the NEA as you can get. There is also almost no way possible the gov't can screw up schools anymore then they have now.

Do you honestly think that the NEA will support merit pay and holding teachers accountable. I read all of my wife's goofy NEA newsletters and I don't see anything resembling praise for that concept. He might say he is going to do the merit and accountability route, but I wouldn't hold my breath. That is as likely to happen as Bill Clinton's middle class tax cut was

Yes, the government can screw up schools more than they are now.

Trust me, I would love to see merit pay and accountability. I have two kids in public schools. Also, my wife, as well as many other teachers would benefit greatly by taking advantage of merit incentives. It will not happen in the public schools though.