TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island Takes The American Dream on a Wild Ride

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, if the media decided to take hold of this topic, it would be a fairly intense series to follow. I don't think CF is the only company out there taking advantage of the international worker program. I have heard complaints from workers at Universal, SF, and even a KOA campground.

Once a company accepts the responsibility of hiring international students it should be a top priority to make sure they have as positive of an experience as possible while in OUR country. These are college students..the future leaders and corporate personnel of countries we need to be able to work with in years to come. It is highly insulting to me as an US citizen to see how ignorant our own corporations are when dealing with these students. They already have to deal with obnoxious Americans visiting their country, but to be treated in this manner when they come to work/experience life here is too much.

So, KI had to punt and set up accommodations at the last minute. I can understand that, but why was there not one person assigned to these students to communicate with them. Tell them all as they arrive at the very beginning about the situation. And if they were truly working on the situation, keep them apprised of the actions being taken to rectify the problem...with a timeline as it became available.

Communication is again a major part of the problem. If CF and KI had just attempted to explain and work with the students, the crisis tone may have been able to be averted. It can't be assumed that any meetings with the students were held, because the KI person would surely have pointed out the fact that they have been in communication with the students and are working on the problem. They would also have some form of documented record to show their efforts.

I understand red tape...I understand middle management issues, but you can't blame this all on middle management either. Middle management gets stifled from those higher up as well. No steps were shown to be in process until AFTER the media coverage. That is too late to show that they were taking any responsibility for not meeting their contract obligation.

I hope that other organizations benefitting from work programs such as this take notice...or they may be on notice as well. You think a $3.00 coke is high now. Wait until programs get shut down and they have to actually pay their employees the rate local college students will expect.

Off soapbox...for now...

^The capital argument doesn't even address why the students couldn't get a meeting with their HR rep...

Going back to the capital thing, seeing how quickly the park acted once hit with negative PR naturally begs the question of why wasn't that done right away in the first place?

This is the most important point of all.

Thom25, I'm sorry, but your view on this matter is bordering on old-world management ignorance. The real matter is that of not having an efficient open door policy for its employees, and specifically for its internationals, who aren't expected to be well versed on American employment proceedures.

All I am saying is that 6 weeks is not an unreasonable timeframe to solve a problem

Thom, consider yourself lucky. Boston has a pretty good public transportation system, which eliminates the transportation issue they encountered. But still, I'd say how 'bout we come up there and take away your car, your comfy bed, your dining room table, and half of your salary for 6 weeks and see how long you can go without mentioning it to your superiors. Sound reasonable?

While some of the story does seem disturbing, the first thing it reminded me of is living in a college dorm for the first 2 years before I got an apartment.

Don Helbig says he'd never heard any of these complaints until the I-Team brought them to his attention.

This is the part that got me. If these kids had it so bad, and I'm not saying they don't, then how could they not speak up and say something? What would be the worst that happened? They get fired and have to go back home? All things considered, that may have been their best choice.

The employees also stated that they were surprised that there was no furniture supplied to them and that there was no internet access.

Yet, they were not to be supplied furniture and they do have internet access.

So how can the students try and claim that they tried so hard to contact an HR person when other issues they brought up are false?

I also find it hard to believe that these students, from another country, were able to get in touch with the local media so easily, but found difficulty in speaking with an HR representative that is located on the same property that they work.

If I was in their position, and I felt slighted with my living conditions, I would have been beating doors down until the issues were resolved.

If $300/ month includes all utilities (water, electric, garbage, maintenence, internet, cable, phone, fridge) they are getting a DEAL! I am going to guess that KI signed the lease for these students, since they are from another country. I am also going to guess that things like cable and phone were also taken care of by the park for the same reason.

And after listening to the area that they are living, it does sound like it is not the nicest of areas. But according to these links it does not sound too bad:

http://www.apartmentcities.com/Ohio/d/woodbridge_on_the_lake_OH.asp

http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1031895.php

http://www.rentalguideapartments.com/Apartments/OH/City/West_Chester/ListingId/165809.html

Read into the story a little bit. KI did admit that housing for these 50 internationals did fall through at the last minute, and they found these apartments at the last minute. From that link I found, it does not sound like that bad of a place to live. I'm not saying that it is a good place, but from the link, it does not sound bad.

So is it really KI that should be investigated, or should it be the management group that operates the apartments? Because from the way it looks, if it is as bad as described, the management group is as guilty, or even more guilty, than what KI was blamed for.

Is it's KI's fault that the apartments are like that, considering the glowing specs given through apartment search sites that I found; or is it the apartment managements' fault for letting people live like this and giving false descriptions of the living conditions?

If you think about it, the amount of KI workers living there is a very small percentage to all the residents there. Why did the TV station make it look like a KI issue, and do an "I" team investigation, when it really was not a KI issue. What about the other internationals that are living somewhere else, do they have the same issues?

From the WISE site provided on the TV station website:

College students from around the world can work in seasonal positions, live in and learn about the United States, travel, and make friends during their summer break from school.
The average participant receives a wage of $6.50 per hour depending on the location chosen. Some positions may pay more, some less. Frequently, the positions that pay less have better benefits such as lower cost housing, meals, transportation, etc.

They were supposed to get only the basics, and were well aware of that.

Almost 100% of WISE arrange placements already include housing. If you are placed by WISE in a site that provides housing you will probably be required to use this housing as the employer may have made a financial commitment to the housing site transportation logistics, etc. Without the employer making this type of commitment it is likely that they would not participate in the program at all. Applicants should expect the basics: You will normally have a shared bedroom, a shared bathroom and sometimes a shared kitchen. WISE will provide you with detailed information about your housing for WISE arranged placements at the time you receive your offer from an employer. In this information we will detail what you need to bring, housing costs, deposits if any, etc.

And everything that I found, took just a couple of clicks of a mouse button, KI had nothing to do with it. So far, it seems that what these kids have is what they were supposed to get according to the WISE website. It's just that, they expected more. And if they were one of the 50 where housing fell through, and got stuck in a place that was not as nice as where the other internationals are staying, they are feeling slighted and feel the need to go to the media and complain about it, instead of doing the stand-up thing and dealing with KI directly.

Now if KI did not meet the standards for shuttling these kids back and forth to the park, then shame on them. But at this point, that appears to be KI's only fault, and they have since rectified the situation.

This is the part I find very intresting:

WISE Services for you include:

Guaranteed Job Placement prior to arrival

Experienced, Friendly Staff

Thorough review of WISE placements to ensure suitable opportunities and accessibility to housing and transportation.

Affordable Housing arrangements for all WISE arranged placements

Documentation and support for obtaining your J-1 visa (DS-2019 form)

Assistance with Your Visa Application

Comprehensive Health Insurance – Affordable, no deductible

Pre-Departure Orientation

Advice on or assistance in obtaining Social Security Card

An Emergency, Toll Free 24-hour Assistance telephone number : 1-888-242-7456

Support from your WISE partner organization before your arrival, and support from WISE Offices and Staff while you are in the U.S.

Upon arrival, logistical support, including complete travel directions to job site.

Detailed participant handbook including travel tips to enjoy your free time

Post-Arrival Orientation through your host site

Tax Referral Services which will assist the participant in reclaiming a good portion of taxes paid in the U.S.

- So WISE also had to approve where these kids were living and what they are paying for, not just KI. Something the "I" team failed to mention.

- They get affordable health insurance, with no deductable. Now I can see where some of the $3000 is being spent.

- They have use of a Emergency, Toll Free 24-hour Assistance telephone number. But called the media instead? That is intresting.

- They get full support from WISE, and just do not rely on KI. So did WISE just forget about these kids? Or did these kids just expect too much? Because, at this point, that is the direction it appears to be going.

- They get a detailed handbook of things to do in the area. And according to the apartment description, there is public transportation for the complex.

I really don't know who called the media. I *assume* it was one of the internationals since they were so forthcoming with other details.

But from the report that they tried to contact the KI HR representantive with no luck, I find it intresting that they could have called WISE themselves.

The "I" team failed to report that.

^To put it in perspective: lets say your company was responsible for a mssive outbreak of food poisining thanks to a vendors fault. Is your company completely free of blame for not having the proper checks in place and just assuming everything is good?

browntggrr: I think it is important to remember that these kids are from a completely different culture. I suspect a whistleblower gave the story to the I-team and the kids just don't know any better than to avoid being quoted by the media. Either that, or a co-worker encouraged them. I also suspect that the cultural differences was the reason they had no idea what to do besides contact the one person at the park they had already known.

However, I do agree that they were probably expecting too much. That comes with being "brain washed" by only seeing America through media outlets. But even when I think of the "basics," I think of college dorm style accomodations. Crappy furniture, but furniture none-the-less. And certainly none of the other issues the article speaks about.

But it's still hard for me to blame anyone but Kings Island. WISE was working on behalf of Kings Island. All theme parks have 3rd party companies working inside them selling crap (like on-ride photos, where I believe only Disney does it themselves), but you wouldn't go asking for their boss is something went wrong. You'd go to Kings Islands guest relations and Kings Island would be the ones who have to fix it. This is no different to me.

Furthermore, If we run with your assumption that Kings Island signed the leases for the kids, that makes it even more disturbing they ignored the horrible conditions. Sure it's not Kings Islands fault things got that way, but it *IS* Kings Island's responsibility as the company on the lease to make sure things are in good condition and to notify management of any problems. Sure, the students probably could have gone to the apartment managers themselves, but again...the cultural difference makes that a lot easier said than done.

^ I like your food poisoning example, and would like to call out how negative you come across. In your example, the outbreak is massive - why? ANY food poisoning is a MAJOR problem - even small outbreaks.

More importantly to your point. It is NOT the restaurants fault if FDA approved beef caused the problem, OR an unsanitary warehouse. It IS the restaurants fault if it wasn't cooked enough OR an employee did not wash their hands.

Would you expect a restaurant to have testing labs to double check someone elses work?

WISE is the organization who coordinates students with parks and I would bet dollars to donuts they get a fee for the service.

So let's blame the firm paying the fee, and not the firm accepting the fee.

I can't speak for KI, but for Cedar Point, it's no secret, housing/employee morale at the park can be pretty low. However, it is nothing like this article has stated. During the 2 seasons I worked there we had an employee bus that would take those without cars into town for errands. There was also an entire department dedicated to employee events such as trips, ride nights, etc... The one sore spot was housing... The living conditions in either of my years were not ideal... Beds breaking and not getting fixed, lack of good AC in most dorms, small, cramped, and overcrowded, and let's just say the wages didn't make up for it much...

I met some lifelong friends working at the park, but the job/housing left much to be desired. It sounds like things are starting to turn around at KI... I only hope this continues.

The students are living for three or more months in an apartment complex under extreme renovation. To get to their apartments they have to walk past missing ceilings, dangling doors, exposed wires, and sticky sub-floors.

Some of the apartments have mold, bugs, and sliding doors that won't lock. Miguel walks down a hallway with exposed ceilings and ripped-up carpeting and mutters: "In my country we don't live like this."

The only furniture in the bare apartments: air mattresses on the floor.

Some of the students have improvised. A cardboard box becomes a dining room table. A shoebox makes a nightstand. And then there are the sofas or mattresses some have been lucky enough to scrounge from a dumpster.

Some people are under the impression that these kids are being picky. By the description above...that doesnt sound like a place I would like to stay.

The students signed job offers with Kings Island's Human Resources manager. The offer required them to sign a housing agreement with a hostel, "less than a mile", "within walking distance" to the Park, near public transportation. There would be "free bicycles available to borrow" and "assistance with finding second jobs" to help pay back their expenses for coming here.

Some people on this board think its okay for kids to sign a contract stating that they will work in KI for a cheaper rate then American KI employees in exchange KI will provide a suitable roof over there head and transportation. It was KI's contract with the students, not WISE.

Somebody mentioned that they don't have to pay a deductible for there medical insurance (and that they should be so lucky to even get insurance). Yes they do have to pay a deductible, it’s in the handbook that is on the site...and at 50 bucks a doctors visit, sounds like a real bargain!! Anyway, I could imagine that there is some law stating that companies sponsoring oversees employees have to provide some sort of emergency medical coverage.

I do think it's a bit much to expect kids coming to the US for a summer to work at a park for less than minimum wage to be able to bring their own furniture. Or buy it. The conditions of those apartments are, um, not good.

I'd lay the blame on both CF and the outsourcing company. And I fully suspect that KI would have done nothing about this had the news report not aired. And I also suspect that if local news stations looked into these practices at other parks, they'd find similar stories.

dt

^ I like your food poisoning example, and would like to call out how negative you come across. In your example, the outbreak is massive - why? ANY food poisoning is a MAJOR problem - even small outbreaks.

Ok, I'll rephrase it to better fit the situation: Your company has to switch suppliers at the last moment due to "unforeseen" issues. The company claims to have all the approvals/inspections and everything is good on your visit to the plant, so you just go ahead and assume everything is OK. No follow up. No communication between your company and the plant. Then 30% of a small sample gets sick. And it was caused by the vendor.

Good luck convincing people it was all the vendors fault and you assume no liability.

^^^ I don't know where you got your information about the insurance deductable, but it is wrong.

This is the WISE site, as well as what they provide:

http://wise.wisefoundation.com/index.php?sect=1a#5

Not only did KI approve the apartments, but WISE did as well, as you can see with the WISE website

Honestly, this should not have been an "I" team investigation into KI, but, an investigation into a slum lord. All those apartment finder sites make the facilities sound top notch. According to the information the apartment management has provided to apartment websites they have:

Amenities

• Air Conditioning• Business Center Onsite• Cable or Satellite

• Carpet• Cats Allowed• Club House

• Courtyard• Dishwasher• Efficiency

• Extra Storage• Freeway Access• Gas Utilities Included

• Internet Access• Laundry Facility• Patio or Balcony

• Pets Allowed• Playground• Pool

• Public Transportation• Short Term Lease• Studio

• Tennis Court• Walk In Closets• Window Covering

It does not sound like that bad of a place with those amenities. And for $300/ month, which includes all utilities, that is not bad at all. Now if the management is misleading their tenants with all this stuff, and it's not true, then that should have been the focus of the investigation, and not KI. You have to remember that the KI internationals are not the only ones living there in these conditions, but a whole lot of people.

Now, if some of the internationals housing fell through at the last minute, we really don't know what kind of hoops KI and WISE had to jump through to find adequate housing. Perhaps when reps from both KI and WISE went to see the West Chester apartments, the management showed them the nice ones, and then provided less than adequate housing for the kids. At this point, that is what it sounds like.

Sure these kids are from a different country, and may have a difficult time adjusting to things. But WISE is an internet driven program as can be seen when you click on the link, and these kids have to be in some sort of schooling program. So it's not like they can't get around if necessary.

While KI should shoulder some of the blame for not having closer contact with the 50 misplaced students, there is no way they are the only ones at fault. Both WISE, who agreed to the living conditions along with KI, and the apartment managers, who obviously have provided a ton of fluff about their amenities, should have been investigated and mentioned as much as KI. But that is what you get from an "I" team investigation that prides itself on sensualizing things.

browntggr....I am not wrong...you obviously didn't do any further research.

Click on your link, then look on the bar to the left. See the WISE Participant Insurance button.

Click on that.

Then you will see an icon for ISIS Brochure.

Click on that.

Or just look at this link.

wise.wisefoundation.com/pdf/Handbook-Insurance-WISE.pdf

Maybe you should do some research before you start telling people that they are wrong. Otherwise, you loose credibility.

browntggr....I am not wrong...you obviously didn't do any further research.

Click on your link, then look on the bar to the left. See the WISE Participant Insurance button.

Click on that.

Then you will see an icon for ISIS Brochure.

Click on that.

Or just look at this link.

wise.wisefoundation.com/pdf/Handbook-Insurance-WISE.pdf

Maybe you should do some research before you start telling people that they are wrong. Otherwise, you loose credibility.

If you look here (again): http://wise.wisefoundation.com/index.php?sect=1a#5

Self - Placed Program

Our Self-Placement Option gives you freedom and flexibility. If you would rather determine the specific type of job and location on your own, you are a good candidate for our Self -Placed Program. This program is ideal if you wish to arrange your own job independently or have family or friends in the USA who can help connect you with an employer. If you're looking for an internship in your career field, find the company and we can arrange your visa. The level of responsibility and rules and regulations of the program are the same for WISE Placements and Self-Placed candidates.

Services Provided to self-placed candidates by WISE include:

Placement Confirmation by WISE Staff to ensure the site offers suitable opportunities with the opportunity to have access to affordable and safe housing and transportation.

Experienced, Friendly Staff

Documentation and support for obtaining your J-1 visa (DS-2019 form)

Assistance with Your Visa Application

Comprehensive Health Insurance - Affordable, no deductible

Pre-Departure Orientation

Advice on or assistance in obtaining Social Security Card

An Emergency, Toll Free 24-hour Assistance telephone number : 1-888-242-7456

Support from your WISE partner organization before your arrival, and support from WISE Offices and Staff while you are in the U.S.

Upon arrival, logistical support, including complete travel directions to job site.

Detailed participant handbook including travel tips to enjoy your free time

Post-Arrival Orientation through your host site

Tax Referral Services which will assist the participant in reclaiming a good portion of taxes paid in the U.S.

Now that $50 has already been paid for, through the WISEprogram as you can see here:

$ 50 DEDUCTIBLE

A deductible of $50 applies to each benefit given

under this policy. The deductible applies per

case, which means that the first $50 of any claim

filed is always for the account of the

WISEprogram participant

Notice it says for the account of the WISEprogram, and not by the participant.

The description of some of the programs offered on the WISE website seem like nothing more than window dressing on a (near) slave labor operation. In particular, the farm and ranchstay program description sounds less than inviting:

"Experience rural life in the wide open spaces of American Farms and Ranches. A perfect opportunity for the participant looking to broaden their perspective on the heritage of the US. From small hobby farms with a few horses and crops, organic farms and large ranches with hundreds or thousands of animals, the chance to participate in the daily activities of farm or ranch life will be a life long memory."

That translates to me as: "Come shovel ranch animal crap all summer."

I'm sure there are some well-intentioned hosts involved in programs like these, but the overall vibe I get from this WISE outfit isn't a good one.

The description of some of the programs offered on the WISE website seem like nothing more than window dressing on a (near) slave labor operation. In particular, the farm and ranchstay program description sounds less than inviting:

"Experience rural life in the wide open spaces of American Farms and Ranches. A perfect opportunity for the participant looking to broaden their perspective on the heritage of the US. From small hobby farms with a few horses and crops, organic farms and large ranches with hundreds or thousands of animals, the chance to participate in the daily activities of farm or ranch life will be a life long memory."

That translates to me as: "Come shovel ranch animal crap all summer."

I'm sure there are some well-intentioned hosts involved in programs like these, but the overall vibe I get from this WISE outfit isn't a good one.

I'm with you on that one. Hmmm, maybe I need to contact WISE for some cheap labor the rest of the summer.

"Experience suburban life in the lush mountain landscapes of North Georgia. A perfect opportunity for the participant looking to broaden their perspective on the heritage of the US. From a midsize backyard with wooded areas to be "groomed", a quaint house in need of some simple TLC, and a front yard in need of mowing, the chance to participate in the daily activities of the Scott and Shannon household will be a life long memory."

There, that oughta do it.

"Experience suburban life in the lush mountain landscapes of North Georgia. A perfect opportunity for the participant looking to broaden their perspective on the heritage of the US. From a midsize backyard with wooded areas to be "groomed", a quaint house in need of some simple TLC, and a front yard in need of mowing, the chance to participate in the daily activities of the Scott and Shannon household will be a life long memory."

There, that oughta do it.

Why do I get the strange feeling there are people on this board who would take you up on said offer and gleefully bring the air mattress?