TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I just want to say this. Six Flags America could be one of the most popular parks in the chain, but the problem is investing.

Here's the deal: for people in the region, complaints about the clientele consistently come up and have been coming up for as long as I've been connected to the rest of the hobby or people living in the DC/Baltimore area. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that these complaints are really down-low racism, but confronting that fact doesn't change the reality that there's a lot of people there with a lot of alternate options who are basically afraid of a theme park with a greater than 15% African American or Hispanic customer base. Six Flags can do two things then:

-Shrug, put lots of money into infrastructure that was ignored during the initial flagging process from Adventure World to Six Flags America

-Do bare minimum to keep numbers where they are in a highly competitive market place

The current management has never chosen for #1 for any park, so it shouldn't surprise you they've gone with #2. That park needs to spend millions on things like plumbing before they spend it on rides.

This. The "clientele" thing really grinds my gears about this park. Leading up to the first time I visited SFA that is all I would hear about. When I finally visited the park I said to myself "what the hell are they talking about?" They were speaking about the place as if there was drug dealers slinging dope on ride exits and people were getting knifed on the midways. Man people are sheltered sometimes.

I completely agree with you. The people saying that should just go to valley fair or michigans adventure instead.

Neither of those parks are remotely close to SFA. Maybe KD and BGW instead.

I know that but I was trying to say that if they don't want to be around black people and latinos they should go somewhere where they aren't.

Okay, that makes more sense.

Neither of those parks are remotely close to SFA. Maybe KD and BGW instead.

I know that but I was trying to say that if they don't want to be around black people and latinos they should go somewhere where they aren't.

Muskegon ain't that place either. LOL. No Prince George County, but not Salt Lake City/Couer D'Alene.

To be fair, I've actually never had an issue with the clientele or the staff at this park and I always thought they had some of the friendlier staff in the chain. My biggest gripe with the park is how unbelievably ugly it is, how poor the operations are and how mediocre the rides are.

I think their strategy of focusing on the water park and continuing to provide mediocre additions is probably the right move because there are really too many problems to fix without blowing a ton of money on things that will never get you a return on an investment anyway (like putting a bathroom somewhere in the back half of that god foresaken Gotham City area, planting a ridiculous amount of trees and painting pretty much everything).

These things would provide a much nicer experience but they wouldn't draw any gate.

Edited by coasterbill

To be fair, I've actually never had an issue with the clientele or the staff at this park and I always thought they had some of the friendlier staff in the chain. My biggest gripe with the park is how unbelievably ugly it is, how poor the operations are and how mediocre the rides are.

I think their strategy of focusing on the water park and continuing to provide mediocre additions is probably the right move because there are really too many problems to fix without blowing a ton of money on things that will never get you a return on an investment anyway (like putting a bathroom somewhere in the back half of that god foresaken Gotham City area, planting a ridiculous amount of trees and painting pretty much everything).

These things would provide a much nicer experience but they wouldn't draw any gate.

Yeah, I don't want to get it twisted like "Six Flags America is actually good" because it is so, so not good. Six Flags doesn't invest in basic infrastructure like Cedar Fair has been, and even if it did, there's this perception strike about who goes to SFA which will probably justify not making basic improvements to the park.

Yeah, I don't want to get it twisted like "Six Flags America is actually good" because it is so, so not good. Six Flags doesn't invest in basic infrastructure like Cedar Fair has been, and even if it did, there's this perception strike about who goes to SFA which will probably justify not making basic improvements to the park.

The funny thing is most people who dislike six flags America because of the clientele and staff often promote kings dominion. When in all reality it's the same types of people.

I just want to say this. Six Flags America could be one of the most popular parks in the chain, but the problem is investing.

Here's the deal: for people in the region, complaints about the clientele consistently come up and have been coming up for as long as I've been connected to the rest of the hobby or people living in the DC/Baltimore area. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that these complaints are really down-low racism, but confronting that fact doesn't change the reality that there's a lot of people there with a lot of alternate options who are basically afraid of a theme park with a greater than 15% African American or Hispanic customer base. Six Flags can do two things then:

-Shrug, put lots of money into infrastructure that was ignored during the initial flagging process from Adventure World to Six Flags America

-Do bare minimum to keep numbers where they are in a highly competitive market place

The current management has never chosen for #1 for any park, so it shouldn't surprise you they've gone with #2. That park needs to spend millions on things like plumbing before they spend it on rides.

This. The "clientele" thing really grinds my gears about this park. Leading up to the first time I visited SFA that is all I would hear about. When I finally visited the park I said to myself "what the hell are they talking about?" They were speaking about the place as if there was drug dealers slinging dope on ride exits and people were getting knifed on the midways. Man people are sheltered sometimes.

100% agree.

Lol, u r right, but they have painted about 80-90 percent this year.

In my opinion they need to expand the coyote creek and Mardi Gras sections of the park with coyote creek getting another coaster in that area and Mardi Gras adding 1-2 more flats. They should also look into getting some more kid friendly thrills like a Zierer tivoli.

In my opinion they need to expand the coyote creek and Mardi Gras sections of the park with coyote creek getting another coaster in that area and Mardi Gras adding 1-2 more flats. They should also look into getting some more kid friendly thrills like a Zierer tivoli.

I think an expansion of any area of the park would be welcomed.

Having one of those would really compete with Kd, Bgw, and Hershey Park.

Oh yeah I bet the corporate higher-ups are literally sh*tting their pants just thinking about the prospect of having to compete with a new free spin at a power house destination park like Six Flags America.

Oh yeah I bet the corporate higher-ups are literally sh*tting their pants just thinking about the prospect of having to compete with a new free spin at a power house destination park like Six Flags America.

One of those could really improve the park and it'll be unique in SFA's market unless you include great adventure as part of their market.

One of those could really improve the park and it'll be unique in SFA's market unless you include great adventure as part of their market.

Screamscape said that they would be getting an RMC I-Box conversion on Roar. So I can think we can all agree, Screamscape is wrong again...

It's about the same distance as BGW is actually, but that's besides the point. I don't disagree that it would be a great addition. I personally don't see them investing that type of money into SFA but I won't argue that it would be a solid move that would draw some gate.

My comment was in reference to the claim that it would help them compete with KD, BGW and Hershey. Those parks are lightyears ahead of SFA and a Free Spin wouldn't change that. And to put some icing on the cake, BGW is getting a new coaster of their own next year.

Screamscape said that they would be getting an RMC I-Box conversion on Roar. So I can think we can all agree, Screamscape is wrong again...

Not completely. It's still very possible but considering they have been working on it this season, It would be very impractical for them to do that just to have it close and be converted. Abd it would leave them with one Woodie. What would be better if they decided to go with rmc to redo roar but instead use the topper track like they did to create Goliath. That would keep it classified as a wooden coaster. And it would give them a great collection of wooden coasters competing with the likes of knoebels. In the Mid-Atlantic.

It's about the same distance as BGW is actually, but that's besides the point. I don't disagree that it would be a great addition. I personally don't see them investing that type of money into SFA but I won't argue that it would be a solid move that would draw some gate.

My comment was in reference to the claim that it would help them compete with KD, BGW and Hershey. Those parks are lightyears ahead of SFA and a Free Spin wouldn't change that. And to put some icing on the cake, BGW is getting a new coaster of their own next year.

I hear you, and agree. If SFA really wants to draw some gate, put a water coaster in there. Of course that's what I want..lol.. I'm a water park guy too.

Not completely. It's still very possible but considering they have been working on it this season, It would be very impractical for them to do that just to have it close and be converted. Abd it would leave them with one Woodie. What would be better if they decided to go with rmc to redo roar but instead use the topper track like they did to create Goliath. That would keep it classified as a wooden coaster. And it would give them a great collection of wooden coasters competing with the likes of knoebels. In the Mid-Atlantic.

Practical? We're talking about Six Flags here. Wouldn't be the first time they put some big loot into a ride just to change it, etc. Did the same for Roar West if I remember correctly; new tracking, etc, then did RMC.

Not completely. It's still very possible but considering they have been working on it this season, It would be very impractical for them to do that just to have it close and be converted.

I am literally SO TIRED of people who say this without doing their research. Remember Medusa at Six Flags Mexico? Remember how Rocky Mountain came in and put topper track on it for the 2012 season? Remember how the very next year Six Flags announced that it would be closed to be converted? No? Shocker.

Seriously. There's absolutely precedent for doing work on a ride before you convert it. Just because it could get RMC'ed in 2017 doesn't mean that they're going to let it fall to pieces up until then. You all know literally nothing about what Six Flags is planning, stop pretending like you're wiretapping eight conference calls a day.

Now, back to ignoring the forums until speculation season is over...

Not completely. It's still very possible but considering they have been working on it this season, It would be very impractical for them to do that just to have it close and be converted.

I am literally SO TIRED of people who say this without doing their research. Remember Medusa at Six Flags Mexico? Remember how Rocky Mountain came in and put topper track on it for the 2012 season? Remember how the very next year Six Flags announced that it would be closed to be converted? No? Shocker.

Seriously. There's absolutely precedent for doing work on a ride before you convert it. Just because it could get RMC'ed in 2017 doesn't mean that they're going to let it fall to pieces up until then. You all know literally nothing about what Six Flags is planning, stop pretending like you're wiretapping eight conference calls a day.

Well then.

To piggyback a little, Cyclone at SFNE had a ton of topper track installed before the conversion also. Almost the entire first half was topper track by the time it was finally converted.