TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

The site for Halloween Haunt is up now! LINK

New Maze for 2012:

MADAME MARIE’S MASSACRE MANOR:

Money does not always buy happiness. For Madame Marie, this could not be more true. As Louisiana’s wealthiest heiress, Madame Marie has perfected the art of Voodooism. Enter her Manor with caution as there is nothing richer in her eyes than blood. Your visit in her lavish home will leave you breathless.

New Shows for 2012:

CULTURE POP:Someone is messing with the Overlord’s minions, and he is angry. For those who enter his theater, be prepared to suffer his side-splitting wrath as he unleashes the most heinous monsters around…and we’re not talking about the cast of GLEE!

GHOSTLY GLOW PARTY:Ghouls just wanna have fun. Come take a break from the madness and swing by the party while our spell casting DJ puts you in a trance and Ghostly Dancers awake your soul. Wear neon clothing to attract the spirits in this all new atmosphere.

map.thumb.jpg.705a6f059a3ee426dfcf72068b3daed4.jpg

New map for 2012!

Edited by robman

So the new maze...Madame Marie's Massacre Manor! I'm curious as to how this maze will be. Also, I'm curious to see how that glow party thing's going to pan out...Seems like they're extending what was going on in the Sports Bar as I recall seeing a bunch of party lights inside that building, like a mini rave.

The site itself feels a tad...generic compared to the past Haunt sites, and the roll-over is a tad annoying...just giving my critique

Another thing I found interesting about the URL for Madame Marie's Massacre Manor (Otherwise just known as MMMM or M^4)...

While all the other haunt mazes all have their names in the URL, MMMM is known as "Test Ride." Which leads me wonder if maybe they're testing the waters with this? Who knows.

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.cagreatamerica.com/haunt2012/ride/Test-Ride

Compared to even this:

http://www.cagreatamerica.com/haunt2012/ride/Club-Blood-ReVampd

http://www.cagreatamerica.com/haunt2012/ride/toy-factory

Then again, probably the same web developer (or developers) that did the Haunt page also would name an image of Vortex with the Paramount logo photoshopped out of it as "ga_cleanvortex_sld.jpg"

Yea, I'm just nitpicking at the things that most other people would not see.

It's just a file name. It was probably the first page they setup and didn't rename it, and then just left it because links pointed to it.

I don't understand whats wrong about the photo, other than that they didn't do a clean job taking the logo out.

Those haunt pages kinda fail. The background images aren't tall enough, the red content isn't perfectly centered horizontally, and it should center vertically as well.

It's just a file name. It was probably the first page they setup and didn't rename it, and then just left it because links pointed to it.

I don't understand whats wrong about the photo, other than that they didn't do a clean job taking the logo out.

Those haunt pages kinda fail. The background images aren't tall enough, the red content isn't perfectly centered horizontally, and it should center vertically as well.

I just thought that it was a bit funny that they named it 'clean vortex' rather than just leaving 'clean' out of it... Not something I would do for naming a file for a web page.

Also, (yet another critique) it isn't very mobile friendly, navigation-wise due to the whole rollover they could have probably completely without. I think I'm now done picking at the site layout now

Looking forward to the new maze's theme song!

For some reason, I can't find Black Widow's Cavern on the new site. CGA teased over Twitter a while back that there was going to be more to it.

I'm a little disappointed that they still haven't gotten a replacement scare zone for Witch Doctor's Trail.

So I went to the park today and was prepared for a busy Saturday, and man was I wrong! Today was one of the quietest days I had at the park, and it was a nice change for once! To give you an idea, a little after 2pm almost all of Flight Deck's rows were a walk on! Also on a random note, I'm thinking Vortex will get repainted next year since Gold Striker is opening up. Plus if you ride in the front row you can see some areas were they put "test" paint at.

So now a fun story time, I was on Grizzly having a smooth yet good ride then I noticed a squirrel on the side of the track! As the train was making it's way past it ran incredibly ! I had never seen a squirrel run so fast in my life! Luckily he was ok and didn't get ran over.

*EDIT* If you view this on an iPhone or some other smartphone device, the pictures may appear upside down. This is because I took the pictures the wrong way and had to turn them right side up. Yet for whatever reason they still show upside down on these devices.

IMG_0937.thumb.jpg.a58626a962a2de990646ef5e53f1a61e.jpg

Walking into the park I saw this, yay Haunt is almost here!

IMG_0938.thumb.jpg.5b4073f7f8374b30af86b7f8b25859c1.jpg

Some Halloween ribbon up in Celebration Plaza.

IMG_0939.thumb.jpg.1fcf2d3e1de7ae26b3b71999e851e88e.jpg

Making my way to Flight Deck I noticed the Gauntlet is being set up!

IMG_0941.thumb.jpg.93b45a7035f89e4524ac7ceb5a554be7.jpg

Skeletons are hanging out.

IMG_0942.thumb.jpg.409392473b0089f0ef91da0cc06edf97.jpg

Flying Eagles has yet to transform into Ghost Gliders but there is some coffins on the grass area!

IMG_0943.thumb.jpg.b717a2976933cf49a66ac074ada29d8c.jpg

Yay Werewolf Canyon sign! The maze I will be in this year. More pictures of the maze later on.

IMG_0944.thumb.jpg.b729f7374f59758c5ba1f6abb8c10b42.jpg

Pirate Island is back again this year, which ironically isn't close to Dead Man's Cove.

IMG_0945.thumb.jpg.c48d0ccbf4e898cc45c80aec1a680254.jpg

Spiderwebs near Black Widows Cavern, which has some new props this year. (I think )

IMG_0946.thumb.jpg.e7a30eb5f1333d49913289a04811d153.jpg

News on Drop Tower, both cabins 1&2 are down so avoid the right side.

IMG_0947.thumb.jpg.72dfe507562b8d0acc8411baf1392dfd.jpg

Cornstalkers getting set up

IMG_0949.thumb.jpg.6fee436b4dc4293bbbfb36931e7c056c.jpg

Gold Striker looking awesome!

IMG_0950.thumb.jpg.feee6538d797dc40f3ce75b9f56e225d.jpg

This is were the entrance for Madame Marie's: Massacre Manor will be.

IMG_0952.thumb.jpg.a044363c3b2e202f72c91999e2f52ef2.jpg

Some more Gold Striker, but we will get to that in a bit.

IMG_0953.thumb.jpg.82667d0a5e98b064b9abdd3fca25f515.jpg

This was around 1:15, an empty Vortex station!

IMG_0954.thumb.jpg.a94d560e0c4a492085d6317c16e52232.jpg

Making my way towards to Star Tower, I see you hiding new vertical construction.

IMG_0955.thumb.jpg.930513298503d79b4afc74d0f2381b89.jpg

Some markings on the ground, the coaster will eventually go in this area.

IMG_0956.thumb.jpg.3c59504a73a9c3e0e4330f647d650125.jpg

Ground level look at construction from a secret area! ;)

IMG_0957.thumb.jpg.73c1c5312778d18a3010912585763a32.jpg

On Star Tower now, more green markings.

IMG_0958.thumb.jpg.5662d04eead549181e18a32e8308679d.jpg

More footers!

IMG_0959.thumb.jpg.842d3237681c5966e5621ec350a98398.jpg

More wood has gone up!

IMG_0961.thumb.jpg.22eba08f3ca720ed59ad105567f08a5d.jpg

IMG_0962.thumb.jpg.0a2e526ceb27013bac101ac4a602b9a2.jpg

Now on Delta Flyer taking a look at "my maze"/ Werewolf Canyon!

IMG_0963.thumb.jpg.44a9f144dcc98e1552686e58899f3ea8.jpg

IMG_0964.thumb.jpg.015845dae649b787febe137973483331.jpg

To end the TR, demon has these new signs up showing which rows you are in.

iPad....yeah, that's weird.

Ok that's good to know. When I took my pictures on my phone I shot them wrong so when I put them on my computer they are upside down. So I changed them to right side up and I was worried that you were on a computer and they were upside down, since on my end they are good.

Minus having to hold my phone upside down, pretty cool update! (not sure how that happened and why, I've never had inverted photos from my iPhone). They seem to be moving pretty quick with everything, haunt and Gold Striker-wise. Can't wait for next sat, I'm kind of done with crowds for now, at least until haunt.

Great update Rob! Gold Striker is looking awesome. Regarding the pictures, they are coming up just fine on all my Android Devices, GSIII & GTab10.1 using both the Chrome browser & the stock browser. For you Apple folks, there is a Chrome browser app..

Regarding Vortex and it's paint scheme, when we rode Vortex in the front last month I mentioned to AngryGumball how every section had a neon green mark on the tracks, it'd be cool if they painted it back to the original or close to it...

I dont know what causes that exactly except that it has something to do with the orientation sensor in the phone and it encodes that information into the image. When you took the photos it thought they were upside down so it's attempting to "fix" them for you. They view fine on PCs cause they arent reading that data. The only way I've found to remove it is to open it in photoshop, rotate it one way or another, rotate it back, and then save it. That overwrites the orientation data.

So I went to the park today and was prepared for a busy Saturday, and man was I wrong! Today was one of the quietest days I had at the park, and it was a nice change for once! To give you an idea, a little after 2pm almost all of Flight Deck's rows were a walk on! Also on a random note, I'm thinking Vortex will get repainted next year since Gold Striker is opening up. Plus if you ride in the front row you can see some areas were they put "test" paint at.

So now a fun story time, I was on Grizzly having a smooth yet good ride then I noticed a squirrel on the side of the track! As the train was making it's way past it ran incredibly ! I had never seen a squirrel run so fast in my life! Luckily he was ok and didn't get ran over.

Nice update! I visited the park today as well, didn't realize you were there at all! As you said, the crowds were nice and light today, which made for a good amount of riding time. As for your squirrel encounter on Grizzly, all I have to say is I'm glad the squirrel lived too, it must have been a bit scary! Where in the ride did this happen?

They seem to be moving pretty quick with everything, haunt and Gold Striker-wise. Can't wait for next sat, I'm kind of done with crowds for now, at least until haunt.

Yep, those pics definitely show how fast they're putting stuff together, and I'm still hoping for an early-season opening day for Gold Striker. I'm down for a Saturday meet-up, and I'm very happy that I finally processed my 2013 gold pass today!

CGA2013A0001.jpg.6e9bfede19c08b0821bc5b415367c86b.jpg

Where in the ride did this happen?

He was just before the break run, (It was on the right side.) Everyone had a sigh of relief that it got out of the way.

Congrats on your new Gold Pass! Im surprised we didn't run into each other, I also wasn't wearing a TPR shirt so you may have not have noticed me either.