TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Storm watch for the west coast.

Thought this might be a good idea. Right now in the SF Bay Area there are about 500,000+ people without power. and a number of Freeways and bridges and tunnels are closed because of landslide danger and high winds. All flights out of the airports have been delayed or canceled. The wind at my house has split a 40 year old tree down the middle and my pool is overflowing with water and deck furniture. I'm just thankful that my power outage lasted only three hours.

I read that in San Rafael a 18 wheeler was just blown over.

I'll try to include links for bay area TPR members on traffic conditions.

But the real reason why I've started this thread is concern over the wellbeing of the LA and San Diego TPR members. The huge fires that happened a couple of months ago have significantly increased the landslide danger so I thought a thread might be useful to exchange info.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats good news at least.

Here is a link talking about the storm and all of the San Francisco and other Bay Area Closures and accidents:

http://www.sfgate.com/flat/archive/2008/01/04/chronicle/archive/2008/01/04/MN87U9ERT.html

I was wrong about the airports, apparently only SFO is closed, both the San Jose and Oakland airports are still operating.

Up to the minute traffic reports: http://www.sfgate.com/traffic/

Reno is getting all sorts of weather. Right now, it is pouring rain, as it has been doing since I got up this morning. That is supposed to turn into snow tonight, with up to 10 inches of accumulation on the valley floor (which, by the way, is TONS of snow for the actual city of Reno). It seems the worst of it will be tonight. Afterwards, the snow won't be as heavy. However, in the Sierra Nevadas, there could be up to 10 feet of snow! Mt. Rose, here I come...can't wait to ski in all that powder. My only worry is for a friend who is supposed to fly in at 8 tonight. Please keep your fingers crossed that his plane makes it in without incident. Hang in there, it'll be one wild weekend (though we certainly could use the water in our collective neck of the woods).

-Doug

Well, no rain has fallen here yet, but in the past few minutes the wind has really picked up. I've been monitering these storms ever since they hit California and they look pretty nasty. But watch, we all prepare for this huge storm, and we're gonna end up getting less than a quarter of an inch here. Meterologists overexaggerate everything.

---Brent

I went with my dad to traffic court on the Peninsula, and I was listening to the radio station KCBS. Here's the (estimated) traffic and weather report:

Yeah, the entire west coast is a mess right now. At SFO Airport, it is open, but with flight delays and cancellations. Highway 101 at 580 is closed due to construction pieces falling on the road, it might be closed until 10 or 11 tonight. The Richmond-San Rafael Bridge is closed in both directions due to high winds and some overturned big rigs. Here's the weather: rain, and wind.

If you live here in the Bay Area, and you're commuting or just driving, be careful out there. There are a lot more accidents today, so I hope everyone is safe. If you get a power outage, try to stay calm. I'm sure everything will be fine.

EDIT: The Richmond bridge and Highway 101 are back open, unexpectedly soon. But still, be cautious out on the road, you never know what's out there.

Sacramento is getting killed, half the area hasn't power since 8am. We had winds this morning at 70mph. There is flooding all around, tree limbs have scattered the roads, all the major freeways have been closed off. I can't get out of my house because of the water is so high. Good thing I bought sandbags three days ago.

I feel sorry for my neighbor, a tree branch just fell on top of his brand new BMW Z4 Roadster. It doesn't look good.

Nothing really happened yet in Hayward to my knowledge fortunately. The past few hours have been quite calm but has just started raining again without the wind. I left for work this morning and the wind was almost insane, but nothing too crazy. The rain, on the other hand was a different story. I had to walk to the building next door to my work (which is part of my work) to fix a computer and the whole 40 secnds I was outside, my pants got a bit wet and my jacket was almost soaked through. I hear that tomorrow we may get thunderstorms...if so, prepare for some pictures if I can get some.

Well our city has just gone to crap. My sister and her friend came back from her house because the power was out. The police were everywhere, they had to close of the street because it was a mess. My friend who lives down the street says there is lightning. It's raining steadily here and it's gonna get worse. All is well

---Brent

Well, last night was certainly dramatic here in Reno. Unfortunately, my friend's flight was cancelled. What's up with that?! I thought I asked you guys to keep your fingers crossed But, he's coming in today at 5. Just in time for the steak and seafood buffet at the Atlantis (mmmm, crab legs...). We got about 6 inches of snow here on the ground, with 4 feet up in the mountains (Mt. Rose is offering some exceptional skiing now). The weather is partly cloudy down here in the valley, with 2-4 inches of snow expected today. Again, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my friend's flight is not cancelled again. I hope everyone else is faring well during this wild series of storms. I will leave you with a picture of the winter wonderland I woke up to this morning.

-Doug

1854413911_IMG_0841(Medium).JPG.e67c242a584399a80ea04fd4c2d2bc47.JPG

Time to shovel the sidewalk!

Yea, I totally missed the light show...but I want some night time lightning anyway to photograph. (I like to try to get pictures of unusual natural things that never come around, or rarely come around.) I did hear plenty of thunder today at work even through all 32 humming computers and insulated roof. It sounded like something heavy was being dragged on the roof.