TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nicolas Cage begs Disney to build 'National Treasure' ride.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Why stop there? I'd include the whole cast, the crew, the extras, the agents, the movie theater owners, and even the caterer.

But hey, Larry's right. Disney struck gold and they're riding it until it runs its course. Success is measured in dollars.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to check the line in Vegas on which HSM star ends up in rehab first.

I didn't find the last National Treasure flick to be all that "family unfriendly," unless you're counting brain damage to kids because of its fairly dumb (if somewhat entertaining) story.

I hate when people use the "Disney is supposed to be something THE WHOLE FAMILY CAN ENJOY" crutch, as if something as innocuous and inoffensive as High School Music doesn't follow the Disney standards because a certain segmentation of the market enjoys it more than others. By that logic, let's trash Cars because it appeals more to young boys, Cinderella and every princess movie because it appeals to girls, Pirates because it's for older kids and adults, etc. etc.

Besides RIP Psyclone, shouldn't you love HSM...I mean it has girls in high school, dood.

To Larry: The Black Hole & Tron

Okay, Toy Story, definately. I'd say POTC but you're probably going to argue that it's not 100% family friendly.

You do have a point about High School Musical, I just think it's un-Disney that older viewers, like myself, would rather watch paint dry. Even the very subject of high school does alienate some people.

To Wes: Yet, I don't. Go figure! Just like you don't like CSI: NY.

Again, I don't think Disney is directly marketing to 20-30 year old unmarried males with HSM. I'm sure there's a segment of adults who likes HSM, and probably quite a few parents enjoy it. With how sterile and inoffensive it is, yet still being popular to the tween/teen market, that's pretty much the definition of a GREAT family franchise. Popular with a hard to reach teen demographic while still maintaining a squeeky clean aura that absolutely can't be seen as offensive to the parents, who are the actual buyers of all the merchandise? Do you even realize how rare that is?

Sure, some people may hate the high school subject, or the ridiculously lame songs, but some people probably hate pirates and talking toys that come to life, too.

The real test here is how well the sequel performs. The first film, although successful, was not quite the mega blockbuster that should be required to be the basis of a ride. It didn't even break $200 million domestically. So...how well will the sequel do? I have felt just about zero buzz for this film. And what are the critics saying? Over on rottentomatoes.com it has a 31% rating, which is "rotten." 69% of critics did not like it. The ones who did didn't give it glowing reviews, either.

Looks like Mr. Cage is going to have to go hide in embarrassment, and pretend he never put forth the proposition in the first place.

^^I guess it depends on what your definition of "buzz" is. It's been all over TV since Thanksgiving, that includes the TV guide channel, Disney channel, and the trailers on every other channel.

As for the performance of the movie, I won't make any predictions, but I can tell you that the theatres down here were packed today. ...even more than 'I am Legend' last week. I couldn't believe how many seniors went to see it today, but it is Florida after all.

The real test here is how well the sequel performs. The first film, although successful, was not quite the mega blockbuster that should be required to be the basis of a ride. It didn't even break $200 million domestically. So...how well will the sequel do? I have felt just about zero buzz for this film.

Here are the box office reports from DHD, which is a very reputable site...

FRIDAY PM: I have very early box office numbers for the top two movies of this overcrowded pre-Christmas weekend. Sources tell me that Disney / Buena Vista's mystery thriller National Treasure 2 opened to at least $15.5 million (and possibly as much as $17 million) at Friday's box office from 3,832 theaters. That's right in line with predictions for this sequel Book Of Secrets to jump into the No. 1 spot with over $50 million for the weekend. It's a much bigger haul than the $35.1 mil debut of the 2004 original National Treasure (which went on to make $173M domestic gross and $347M worldwide total and snag Oren Aviv his promotion to president of production for the Walt Disney Pictures Group).

The real test here is how well the sequel performs. The first film, although successful, was not quite the mega blockbuster that should be required to be the basis of a ride. It didn't even break $200 million domestically. So...how well will the sequel do? I have felt just about zero buzz for this film. And what are the critics saying? Over on rottentomatoes.com it has a 31% rating, which is "rotten." 69% of critics did not like it. The ones who did didn't give it glowing reviews, either.

Looks like Mr. Cage is going to have to go hide in embarrassment, and pretend he never put forth the proposition in the first place.

I never listen to what critics say. They're pretty much morons when it comes to what the general public likes. What you need to look at is how the users rate it. And they rate it at 71% rating, which is quite good or "fresh" as they say.

^ I don't see how it would be that strange. All a National Treasure ride would be is a tweaked version of Indiana Jones. Especially seeing the most recent one this weekend, the movie would work very well as a temple excursion type ride, similar to the Indy temples. I could definitely see it working, especially if Disney wants to keep to their own licenses and not go out to Lucas.

Well folks, I may have to stand corrected. On its 2nd weekend of release, NT:BoS took in $35,632,000 bringing its grand total in North America to $124,035,000. It brought in $44,783,772 its opening weekend, meaning the drop in business from 1st to 2nd weekend is a mere 20.2%. Many films, even popular, successful ones often have a 50% 2nd weekend drop in ticket sales. Add the foreign box office as it continues to be released internationally, Mr. Cage may end up with a good case for a ride.