TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

Fair enough LOL. But the maze was literally in the same spot as the gokart track across from it this time last year. It was an actual maze that took a good while to get out of. At one point (when it was on Surfside if I recall) it was two floors. Anyways that gokart track wasnt done til well after Memorial Day this year. They probably had that fencing, facade and some shipping containers sitting around, an empty spot and said "screw it lets throw together a bullsh*t maze right here". Its hilarious that they are charging for it tho.

$4 million worth of track being replaced. I've also heard new trains, paint, name, station getting revamped. These articles both posted here both touch on it. Trying to get more info from a family friend who knows the PR chick Maggie that does all their announcements.

http://www.shorenewstoday.com/wildwood/morey-s-nor-easter-coaster-getting-makeover-for/article_1aa03ed6-cc54-11e5-a07e-1b719a37abb3.html?mode=jqm

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/business/morey-s-caters-to-changing-tastes/article_76941bf0-a5f2-11e5-8009-e7c26f4a3893.html

With that price I would hope they really are actually ripping out whats there and replacing it. I would have assumed some of the supports would have to be taken out/replaced as well but maybe not. I'm no engineer. From that article I reposted on the last page:

“Ninety percent of the track is being completely moved and replaced with the newest bending technologies that will make it very smooth,” said Jack Morey, co-owner of Morey’s Pier. “It’s being made right now in Holland as we speak.”

I will certainly be visiting WW all winter and will make it a point to get photos of any work being done. I won't be able to get on the pier but they can't keep me off the beach right next to the ride!

Edited by boldikus

With that price I would hope there were ripping out whats there and replacing it. I would have assumed some of the supports would have to be taken out/replaced as well but maybe not. I'm no engineer. From that article I reposted on the last page:

“Ninety percent of the track is being completely moved and replaced with the newest bending technologies that will make it very smooth,” said Jack Morey, co-owner of Morey’s Pier. “It’s being made right now in Holland as we speak.”

I will certainly be visiting WW all winter and will make it a point to get photos of any work being done. I won't be able to get on the pier but they can't keep me off the beach right next to the ride!

Thats encouraging.

I will certainly check it out in that case.

I don't post much here, but I follow along with Morey's have been there about 20 times in my life so I'm excited to follow GNE's transformation. Obviously I don't know insider specifics about the project but If I had to guess, I'd bet they might keep the brake run, station, and lift hill. Can't wait to see progress pics!

Those pictures posted before in this thread of the support power washing disappeared from Baynum Painting's Facebook and the Morey's Connoisseurs page too. I wonder if Morey's doesn't want those pictures up, but like you said, you can stand 3 feet from it on the beach

Really strange they would have an issue with those photos. Not only can you walk literally right next to the thing (Moreys dont own the beach contrary to the common joke that they own all of Wildwood). Not only that its a simply photo of someone powerwashing the thing.

We also tried Morey's new Starlux Mini Golf this summer and we thought it was awesome. The beach and ocean courses on the ground level had awesome themeing and props. All the water features were cool too. If was definitely one of the more challenging courses I've played on because the ball constantly rolled in the water but at the same time it was fun trying to keep it on the green. It was also enjoyable fishing the balls out with the nets LOL.

We tried the Boardwalk course on the upper level too and it sort of sucked compared to the bottom level. It had cool props like a tram car and a model of the Great White, but it was pretty blah to us. It just seemed like it didn't have much thought put into it like the bottom did. But then again, there's only so much you can do on a raised platform like that, that isn't huge.

I am actually excited to see the difference that the new track will make, The new style trains already made this by far the smoothest (well its really not that much smoother but the restraint design eliminates most of the headbanging) SLC I have been on, thou I have heard Thunderhawk at MA is the best SLC out there. I don't think I'm alone in saying that SLC's actually have a pretty fun compact layout with some good inversions and some fun close calls with the supports that add to the thrill. I've learned how to ride the one at SFNE without banging my head and ever since they refurbished there trains I've actually been able to ride it multiple times in a day. At Morey's I was able to ride re-ride it multiple times in a row and had no discomfort whatsoever. Unfortunately two weeks after Morey's I was at Darien Lake and there slc is a whole different story, the one train they do have left in operation looks to be in terrible condition and I was only able to ride it once due to the headbanging and roughness. It felt like a completely different ride then the one at Morey's two weeks prior and the Morey's one is actually older then Darien Lake's so the new trains definitely made a big difference thou I heard the new trains on T3 at KK didn't help as much as some had hoped. Hopefully if Morey's get's new trian's Darien would smarten up and buy the old Morey's one's as they only have one train as the other is now a parts donor for the other train.

You can have the best track work in the world,but if your rolling stock sucks, well, it won't mean anything. Unless the trains are vastly different, they will shuffle around the new "smoother" track the same as before. I'm very skeptical of this.

I'm okay with no GCI. Give me an RMC with a zero g stall over the beach from pier to pier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can have the best track work in the world,but if your rolling stock sucks, well, it won't mean anything. Unless the trains are vastly different, they will shuffle around the new "smoother" track the same as before. I'm very skeptical of this.

I'm okay with no GCI. Give me an RMC with a zero g stall over the beach from pier to pier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right, the shuffling is the biggest downside of the SLC trains. Although I am curious if Vekoma re-resigned the "new" trains since Morey's got them back in 2008.

FYI to anyone thinking of heading down for this Oktoberfest thing:

Since I'll be down this weekend and probably on the boards most of Saturday I just snagged a $25 Oktoberfest ride wristband (that comes with a $5 food/beverage credit) so I can more or less marathon Great White as much as possible all day. I just confirmed with the piers the wristband is valid on both Mariners and Adventure Pier. A steal considering if I were to buy tickets Id get three laps for that cost. Not to mention that while Surfside is closed and I'll be missing out on IT, Atmosfear, KONG, Zoom Phloom and Flitzer, there are plenty of things I could get into on Mariners besides the beer and live bands. Riptide is awesome, as is Waveswinger, I also see a few laps on Sea Serpent in my future (its great in the back). Maybe I'll ride the freaking Pinfari lolz. The upcharges on Adventure are discounted with the wristband (Screaming Swing is $5).

Don't forget: Oktoberfest runs the next three weekends, but this is the last weekend Adventure is open. Last rides on Great White for the season! Also note the piers close @ 10pm Saturday, 12-5pm on Sunday. :/

MOREYSOKTOBER.jpg.1974d87a3a19e934366194bfbe1d10f2.jpg

Having a nice sloshy day at the pier. Oktoberfest thing is solid. Had some food and a flight. Just doing some solo riding now. Just had a good ride back seat of the boomerang, and a fantastic buzzy spin on the waveswinger. Grey day but fairly busy. Off to the Great White for an afternoon marathon.

IMG_20160924_145002.thumb.jpg.e09fe374a11be7b258910221715fffce.jpg

IMG_20160924_130526.thumb.jpg.d5c5a112df696355223a60fba4e4a638.jpg

IMAG2237.thumb.jpg.66f87793b9ae12c3af69d505fe0d8f69.jpg

IMAG2232.thumb.jpg.4582a8f41f5bf7b1d7244e27c88524c8.jpg

IMAG2230.thumb.jpg.673de992bac53542bafc9c426486aa5c.jpg

IMAG2228.thumb.jpg.7cded45bc17c10dc9cc48c46fdae43e8.jpg

IMAG2225.thumb.jpg.b225b1e684edefe98ac5715df60ff7e9.jpg

IMAG2217.thumb.jpg.c05d5c06cddc0d53971e4e756130d65d.jpg

IMAG2215.thumb.jpg.55c1ee4b6eb0709ce9a03f7b1d867d85.jpg

IMG_20160923_220031.thumb.jpg.9691d6018b4d45585053636e486f4bd3.jpg

Mack's last night as soon as I arrived

Looks like a great event...with plenty of good food and beer!

While I am not much into the pumpkin beers, my sister and brother in law in Allentown love the Dogfish Head pumpkin beer. Also nice to see my local beer get their wares out to the East Coast! (Southern Tier Pumking)