TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Both of these new options have piqued my interest...

Gourmet Popcorn isn't new to the park. It's been there for quite a few years now.

Do they have curry popcorn, or have you never visited the store?

I seriously need to find a group of people to go to the park with... my wife gets motion sick just driving on the highway, ergo my efforts to get her on a coaster have not borne fruit, and I got my hands on a season's pass for cheap this season and I want to take advantage of it. Any ideas of where I can fine like-minded folk?

Asking here is definitely a great start! I frequent the park every two weeks or so. Maybe we could create some sort of Canada's Wonderland group this summer!

A Canada's wonderland group sounds like a great idea. I occasionally find it hard to find people to head to the park with as well.

On this day back in 1986, Thunder Run made it's debut as it thundered through Wonder Mountain. But, it wasn't always known as Thunder Run. When the park first opened on May 23rd, 1981, Thunder Run started it's life as a Mack Rides Blauer Enzian which when translated from German into English, means "Blue Gentian", which is a type of flower. The Blauer Enzian was a tight and twisted track where the train powered along at high speeds.

1016975_523484611054861_2005796700_n.jpg?oh=def8a7b5c153bde9bac4fde70b6d185f&oe=579EE45EPhoto Credit: City of Toronto Archives via Vintage Toronto

After the 1985 season, Blauer Enzian was relocated, incorporated, and extended into Wonder Mountain for the 1986 season and was renamed Thunder Run. Blauer Enzian's former spot sat relatively empty for many years until 1999, when The Fly, a Mack Rides large park model Wild Mouse occupied the spot and continues to do so until this day. Now, going back to 1986, Thunder Run was advertised on TV through this awesome commercial that aired on many stations in Ontario.

While riding Thunder Run, one can expect the coolness and darkness of Wonder Mountain's interior along with strobe lights and an encounter with a dragon, nicknamed Herman. Riders can experience Thunder Run's course twice as it is programmed for two circuits.

New for this year on Thunder Run is an up-charge attraction of Virtual Reality. Riders can experience Thunder Run in a whole new dimension by strapping on Virtual Reality goggles. This was tested out last Fall and has become a permanent attraction for visitors to experience. For the 2014 season, Thunder Run's lead car was re-painted blue to pay homage to Thunder Run's previous life as Blauer Enzian.

As Thunder Run celebrates 30 years (or 35 years depending on how you look at it), it has always been a favourite that families have flocked to within International Festival for years and will continue to do so for hopefully many years to come.

I remember Blauer Enzian, but always loved Thunder Run. I wish it would get some love to bring it back to original operating condition. The waterfalls, much of the lighting, fog, and heartbeat subwoofer have been gone for ages.

IIRC, there was a Blauer Enzian thet Conklin brought to the CNE as well - with above-ground swimming pools acting as the 'anchors' between one or more of the helices.

Thanks for posting that...memories...

I remember Blauer Enzian, but always loved Thunder Run. I wish it would get some love to bring it back to original operating condition. The waterfalls, much of the lighting, fog, and heartbeat subwoofer have been gone for ages.

IIRC, there was a Blauer Enzian thet Conklin brought to the CNE as well - with above-ground swimming pools acting as the 'anchors' between one or more of the helices.

Thanks for posting that...memories...

No problem! I enjoy sharing and learning about the history of Canada's Wonderland! I'm glad you enjoyed it! It was quite common for Blauer Enzian coasters to be anchored down by huge water tubs since they couldn't be bolted down as they were originally designed to be a portable coaster as many built had lattice designed support structures. Below is a photo of a Mack Blauer Enzian that travels as "Feuer and Eis" (Fire and Ice) throughout Germany. You can see that the support structure is significantly different compared to an permanent-park Blauer Enzian model.

Photo Credit: on-ride.de

Here is another one of my trip reports from today which includes more photos of Skyhawk and Flying Eagles! It was a beautiful day at the park! I was able to get two rides on Skyhawk and one ride on Flying Eagles, along with many rides on the other rides within the park!

13151705_501889953330313_8069958914355202516_n.jpg?oh=a7286e1198488b10b617a522afd6e901&oe=57E41D0C

Here I am on the all-new Flying Eagles!

Right now I think that canada's wonderland will either recieve a rmc or a dive or an invert. But I am really thinking a rmc retrack of mine buster because of all the work around there. A dive would be good because it's good in small places to interact with the elements of the park. an invert would be ok but they already have flight deck. all they need to do is give flight deck those shoulder restrains to make it a decent coaster.

Right now I think that canada's wonderland will either recieve a rmc or a dive or an invert. But I am really thinking a rmc retrack of mine buster because of all the work around there. A dive would be good because it's good in small places to interact with the elements of the park. an invert would be ok but they already have flight deck. all they need to do is give flight deck those shoulder restrains to make it a decent coaster.

My friend and I just went last weekend.

MINEBUSTER NEEDS TO BE RMCd

There is about 1 noticeable airtime hill right after the drop, other than that the ride is uneventful. Wild beast is better than it in every way. an RMC could also interact with the water park like minebuster does as well. Imagine a RMC zero g stall going over one of the other water slides, that would be awesome.

There is about 1 noticeable airtime hill right after the drop, other than that the ride is uneventful. Wild beast is better than it in every way. an RMC could also interact with the water park like minebuster does as well. Imagine a RMC zero g stall going over one of the other water slides, that would be awesome.

I was at Canada's Wonderland on Friday and found Mighty Canadian Minebuster to be quite enjoyable as usual. I don't fully believe we're going to see Mighty Canadian Minebuster RMC'd anytime soon. We're more than likely going to see it just get re-tracked with new lumber. I think all the work that is going near Mighty Canadian Minebuster's first drop is for a new Splashworks addition next year. It could possibly be for a drop slide complex like the other water parks in the chain have been receiving over the past few years.

^probably a new coaster, no more splash works expansion already has a good enough water park.

I disagree that it's good enough. Yes, the Typhoon and Splash Station additions were great last year, but Splashworks isn't complete yet. I believe it's going to be a Splashworks addition because Wild Water Kingdom in Brampton is going to be closed yet again for another year which causes many people to flock to Splashworks as it's the only water park in the area at the moment.

I was at Canada's Wonderland on Friday and found Mighty Canadian Minebuster to be quite enjoyable as usual. I don't fully believe we're going to see Mighty Canadian Minebuster RMC'd anytime soon. We're more than likely going to see it just get re-tracked with new lumber. I think all the work that is going near Mighty Canadian Minebuster's first drop is for a new Splashworks addition next year. It could possibly be for a drop slide complex like the other water parks in the chain have been receiving over the past few years.

Have you ridden the new Wild Beast with the new retrack for that portion of the track? I swear that makes it run past that point so much faster, I felt like I was getting LOTS of lateral Gs on that turn right after it and the airtime hills after that was MUCH more potent

Does anyone know why they removed skyrider so early? If we were getting a new ride in place this year it would make sense to remove it last year but its gonna be 2 years of empty land. I am really sad that I didn't get to ride sky rider this year and last year, I loved that ride, had some great airtime and never had a line. Too bad it had to go.

Have you ridden the new Wild Beast with the new retrack for that portion of the track? I swear that makes it run past that point so much faster, I felt like I was getting LOTS of lateral Gs on that turn right after it and the airtime hills after that was MUCH more potent

No, not yet. I haven't been on Wild Beast since my first and only traumatizing ride on it back in 2010. But, I do enjoy the other wooden coasters in the park. During last year's off-season, the park re-tracked the first drop and during this off season they re-track even more. If more people claim it to be more enjoyable now than it was six years ago, then I may try Wild Beast again. But, that fan curve over the station looks quite painful. Hopefully they'll re-track it during the next off-season. But, I am more of a fan of out-and-back coasters as there's very little side-to-side movement.

Does anyone know why they removed skyrider so early? If we were getting a new ride in place this year it would make sense to remove it last year but its gonna be 2 years of empty land. I am really sad that I didn't get to ride sky rider this year and last year, I loved that ride, had some great airtime and never had a line. Too bad it had to go.

I'm not too sure as to why they removed SkyRider at the end of the 2014 season. But, it sure was a fun and exciting stand-up coaster! I still miss it to this day but I'm glad to see that it is operating nicely at Cavallino Matto Park in Italy as Freestyle since last June! Currently, all that has been done with SkyRider's land this year is the park has added some in-ground speakers so that section of the park isn't too quiet. This time last year, I had filmed a video of some work being done to the land but all they did in the end was plant grass seed. I don't see a new coaster going in where SkyRider was for a few more years at the least.

Edited by Johnlloyd

No, not yet. I haven't been on Wild Beast since my first and only traumatizing ride on it back in 2010. But, I do enjoy the other wooden coasters in the park. During last year's off-season, the park re-tracked the first drop and during this off season they re-track even more. If more people claim it to be more enjoyable now than it was six years ago, then I may try Wild Beast again. But, that fan curve over the station looks quite painful. Hopefully they'll re-track it during the next off-season. But, I am more of a fan of out-and-back coasters as there's very little side-to-side movement.

I think that minebuster is a bit smoother just cause its going straight, but the part where it does that massive helix at the end is worse than any part on wild beast. I prefer wild beast much more to minebuster but yes its a bit more bumpy for the overall ride.

I think that minebuster is a bit smoother just cause its going straight, but the part where it does that massive helix at the end is worse than any part on wild beast. I prefer wild beast much more to minebuster but yes its a bit more bumpy for the overall ride.

I quite enjoy the final helix on Mighty Canadian Minebuster. I don't find it rough at all. But, we all tolerate various levels of roughness differently.

^probably a new coaster, no more splash works expansion already has a good enough water park.

I disagree that it's good enough. Yes, the Typhoon and Splash Station additions were great last year, but Splashworks isn't complete yet. I believe it's going to be a Splashworks addition because Wild Water Kingdom in Brampton is going to be closed yet again for another year which causes many people to flock to Splashworks as it's the only water park in the area at the moment.

I agree. With Calypsobpark opening up in Ottawa a few years back, everyone else is scrambling to improve and match the new standard for the region.

Personally think we'll see a splash works expansion near Minebuster or as well as a new coaster in skyrider's plot either next year or for 2018.

^traumatizing, even worse than time warp and flight deck

Well, it was to me at the time, six years ago. But, all three of those coasters fit under the traumatizing category. I will have to admit that I have had some decent rides on Flight Deck in the past especially during the 2014 season near the back of the train as for some strange reason I did hardly any head banging. I also find Time Warp not to be all that bad as I've learned how to survive it's banked turns. The best part of Time Warp would have to be the barrel rolls as they’re the least painful part of the ride!

Plus we need an rmc to piss off all the cp fans for having the first rmc in the cedar fair chain.