TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

Reports are saying the NHL is going to expand the number of outdoor games for Hockey Weekend in America next season to include Kings/Ducks at Dodger Stadium and Rangers vs someone at Yankee Stadium.

I'll definitely be there at Dodger stadium if this is true!

Got tickets for the 4/21 Kings/Stars game for me and my Son. It will be his first Hockey game. I know, I'm a terrible father, waiting until my son is 15 to show him the awesomeness that is Hockey. I was about the same age and it began my love affair with the game. Hope he has the same experience.

^But you have to admit that when you were that age, tickets were probably about $10 for nosebleed! I can certainly understand why going to an NHL game now is a pretty big deal.

When I started watching the Sabres, tickets in the nosebleed in the old Aud were about $10-13 and even when they moved to the (now) First Niagara Center, I remember getting seats to a playoff game against Ottawa in the 9th row off the ice for $90 - and that was less than ten years ago. Now you can barely get in the cramped nosebleed 300 section shoot-once end in the regular season for less than $60 a pop unless you go on a value weeknight or something.

Guess those days are long gone. You either have to have to have some big bucks or know someone "in the know" in order to get good hockey seats at a reasonable rate.

I can't even imagine what it is in places like NY or LA, because Buffalo has some of the "cheaper" seats in the league. I still think it's ridiculous that you can hardly afford to take a family of four to a pro game anymore unless you break the bank or make a six figure salary.

And then players wonder why fans get upset & boo the home team when they get hemmed in their own zone for close to a minute and they can't even clear the puck out of the zone...and the other team isn't even on the power play?

Uhhhhh....maybe because seasoned hockey fans aren't stupid and they know that it actually takes hard work, brutal shifts, and sheer determination in order to beat the other team?

^And yet we had a lockout because of the "horrible" financial situation of many teams (when really all they do is hide the money by having separate corporations for things like the arena and merchandising)...

Edited by Jew

I don't know how other teams and venues work, but there's a ticket exchange for Caps games where season ticket holders can sell their seats for games they aren't attending. So long as they aren't gold games (Penguins, Rangers, etc.), you can usually get nosebleeds for less than $30 a piece, sometimes even $15-$20!

I don't know how other teams and venues work, but there's a ticket exchange for Caps games where season ticket holders can sell their seats for games they aren't attending. So long as they aren't gold games (Penguins, Rangers, etc.), you can usually get nosebleeds for less than $30 a piece, sometimes even $15-$20!

Um... When we were looking at tickets last March the nosebleeds were listed on stubhub at around $80 each. I do know that the Caps have 170-something consecutive sellouts and one of the loudest arenas in hockey.

^^ No question. Kings Forum tickets were CHEAP ... until Gretzky got there (apparently). My first game was during the Gretzky area.

And as I'm typing this, Kings are getting whupped by Dallas. It's only 3-1 but it's not even that close.

And the Sabres got whipped by Winnipeg 4-1 last night in a game I had to turn off in the 2nd. It is nice that the players keep telling the media that they have not given up on the playoffs, but if you look at it from a realistic approach - they're screwed!

Um... When we were looking at tickets last March the nosebleeds were listed on stubhub at around $80 each. I do know that the Caps have 170-something consecutive sellouts and one of the loudest arenas in hockey.

I'm aware that tickets run that expensive on StubHub. That's why I said the ticket exchange. Here's the link:

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=42437

For example, there are $14 tickets on sale for tonight's 'Canes game. Bruins tickets for the 27th start at $62, but I'll be at the Winnipeg game in two weeks (my family has season tickets), and for that game tickets on the exchange start at $18. These are all season ticket holders selling the games they can't attend, and they do it at a cheap price unless the game is against a division rival!

Yeah, I've used the Kings Ticket Exchange before. The last game I used eBay and for the game on the 21st I used that Scorebig.com website because I had $30 to spend. I saved about 10% on tickets so nothing great but my tickets did come FedEx today and I just bought them on Tuesday.

I actually think Scorebig would work better for baseball games than Kings games. At least this year. LOL

Yesterday's Kings game reminded why I hate replay in all sports: needs to be all or nothing. If you are going to review every goal, unless the ref blows the play dead before the goal, you have to review everything. Not just certain circumstances.

Not going to happen; CN Tower has already said they'll do Blue and White for Leafs playoff games but that's it.

Those will be the only times I'm happy my new apartment doesn't face the CN Tower. I'd be sick any time it's Blue and White.

Also, I don't see the point in making it a giant goal light; who is going to see it?

If you're watching the game (either at the arena, at home, in a bar, etc) how do you plan on looking at the tower? Unless your TV is in front of a window that faces the CN Tower or you're fast enough to run out of your house and look at the tower after each goal, you're not going to see it.

On another topic; what do others think of the stadium series for next year?

Personally, I'm not a fan of it. It's ruins the allure of the Winter Classic being THE outdoor game, now it's just one outdoor game. Although, I am interested to see how the game at Dodgers Stadium works.

I'm excited that Yankee Stadium is finally going to be involved. I think this is a positive and a negative. A positive because it allows teams like the Devils (who are my team), Isles snd Ducks to be involved in outdoor games when we all know those teams would NEVER be in the Winter Classic. It's a negative because it does hurt the uniqueness and specialty of the Winter Classic though. Like I said, I support this mainly because Yankee Stadium can never have the Winter Classic so I'm excited we can finally be involved and my Devils can play in an outdoor game .

Last night's Caps game was the loudest I've ever been to! Great game, Winnipeg put up a real good fight. Sounds like they're out of the playoffs actually, unless the Rangers and Sens lose their last two (and the Jets win their last one on Thursday).

Did anyone doubt that Ovi would score the goal that clinched the playoff spot, though?

On another topic; what do others think of the stadium series for next year?

Personally, I'm not a fan of it. It's ruins the allure of the Winter Classic being THE outdoor game, now it's just one outdoor game. Although, I am interested to see how the game at Dodgers Stadium works.

I love it. I don't think it takes away from the Winter Classic because it's not really part of the Winter Classic. The games are far enough removed from the Winter Classic to not interfere, this gives more fans the chance to see an outdoor game and will be a great media opportunity for the league. Having two outdoor games in NYC the week the Super Bowl is there is going to be huge.