TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

There was also mention of adding expansion teams to even out the conferences.

The owners would love that and the big fat cash bonus that comes with it.

I'm a little late quoting this, but that'd be a turrible idea. You already have a few existing teams struggling...the Coyotes are losing money by the second, the Panthers are too (but are saved by a sweet lease deal), and the Islanders arena proposals are getting shot down left and right. It would solve the problem of DET/CBJ/NSH/WPG being in the "wrong" conference, but I'm not sure there's enough markets out there that could handle it. Plus the player pool would be diluted even more. Pretty much every potential market has a flaw:

-Quebec (best situation out of them all, but arena deal not official yet)

-Hamilton (old arena, territorial rights issues with Leafs and Sabres)

-Toronto II (no chance the Leafs share the ACC...bigger hassle than Hamilton would be)

-Saskatoon (I'm sure they'd get great support but a city with a 233k metro population does not deserve a pro team)

-Kansas City (already had the Scouts who left)

-Seattle (no arena...they should focus on getting the Sonics back first anyway)

-Houston (wouldn't be able to play at Toyota Center unless the Rockets/Aeros owner was the one who was behind it)

-Portland (same as Houston)

-Atlanta (Thrashers ownership really did screw them, but that was their "second chance" team after the Flames)

-Hartford (arena outdated and on the small side...bigger than Winnipeg's but still tiny)

-Cleveland (had the Barons and the area seems to be in a decline)

-Vegas (I'm putting the odds at 20 to 1 for Vegas to have any pro team because of the gambling)

Quebec is the only city they could move to now and almost guarantee profit/success. Everywhere else is a crapshoot at best.

With Rogers and Bell now owning the majorit share of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainmenet, I have higher hopes for a second Toronto team.

Why wouldn't two of the biggest media outlets in Canada bring another team into the city? Especially if they owned the team or only allowed the team if they get exclusive broadcast and advertising rights? A second team in Toronto would be a huge cash draw.

Quebec will get their team as soon as they get it together and get their new arena built.

I never thought about Saskatchewan being able to handle a team, but I'm sure either Regina or Saskatoon would be on the same level of support as Winnipeg.

A team in Vegas would just be bad. I doubt very many locals would go to see a game, so there goes your season ticket holder market, and with so much other stuff to do in Vegas that you can't find anywhere else, why would you take time out of your short visit there to see a sports game you can see back home? The past few times I've been there I keep telling myself I want to go see a 51's game (AAA team of the Blue Jays), but everytime I get to Vegas I never end up making the time because I'm enjoying myself too much with other things.

With Rogers and Bell now owning the majorit share of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainmenet, I have higher hopes for a second Toronto team.

Why wouldn't two of the biggest media outlets in Canada bring another team into the city? Especially if they owned the team or only allowed the team if they get exclusive broadcast and advertising rights? A second team in Toronto would be a huge cash draw.

Quebec will get their team as soon as they get it together and get their new arena built.

I never thought about Saskatchewan being able to handle a team, but I'm sure either Regina or Saskatoon would be on the same level of support as Winnipeg.

A team in Vegas would just be bad. I doubt very many locals would go to see a game, so there goes your season ticket holder market, and with so much other stuff to do in Vegas that you can't find anywhere else, why would you take time out of your short visit there to see a sports game you can see back home? The past few times I've been there I keep telling myself I want to go see a 51's game (AAA team of the Blue Jays), but everytime I get to Vegas I never end up making the time because I'm enjoying myself too much with other things.

MLSE wouldn't be allowed to own the team. I'm pretty positive there's a rule against owners having shares of more than one franchise. I just can't imagine them being willing to share the ACC with another team owned by someone else. A second team absolutely would succeed there though. From what I hear you have a better chance of winning the lottery than scoring Leafs tickets. Why someone would subject themselves to a Leafs game I have no idea, but what do I know, I'm just a lowly Flyers fan.

Saskatoon and Regina are just too small...should they have AHL teams? Absolutely. NHL? No. It'd be really hard for them to make money. They're dwarfed in comparison to Winnipeg (690k), Hamilton (690k), and Quebec City (710k), and those are even small by NHL market standards.

Quebec City, Hamilton, or a second Toronto team are the only viable NHL markets left in Canada IMO.

So who watched the sharks vs flames game with the four blind officials that didnt see the "goaltender interference" in OT was his own team mate pushing him? (I realize that's a massive run on sentence). Its bullshit that none saw and that it's not reviewable. Drew reymenda made the case that NFL uses it to review every touchdown. Another thing would be useful in hockey would let a coach challenge one goal.

^ I know, the Caps have been screwed out of a ton of games because of bad calls on what should be goals. I remember one game either last year or the year before that, one of our goals got washed out when we didn't even make contact with the goalie. Our guy didn't even go into the crease. I remember we lost the game because of that because it would have been a tying goal. I also remember last year in Dallas we got a goal washed out that was the exact same circumstances you said, and again it would have been a tying goal. And it 2010 against Montreal in the playoffs we scored a goal, but made contact with the goalie AFTER the puck crossed the line. It went to review (which I don't even know why because the puck was clearly in the net before the goalie was touched, and it's also not reviewable) and it got washed out! They didn't explain why it was washed out, they just washed it out. And it would have won the series for us because we had a 3 games to 2 lead if memory serves correctly. I seriously hate the incidental contact policy and I agree with you, the coach should be able to challenge it like in football.

Or just do away with it? I've always disliked that rule anyway.

I don't think they can completely do away with it, but it definately needs some reworking. I think the idea of a crossbar camera is a good one, but how would you do it effectively? My idea was to take one of those super-slim cameras like the ones they use for those professional helmet-cams, drill a hole dead center in the crossbar, and stick it in there. It would need to have a wide-angle lens though to get a shot of all the places guys can score from around the crease. That's the best way I can think to do it.

MLSE wouldn't be allowed to own the team. I'm pretty positive there's a rule against owners having shares of more than one franchise. I just can't imagine them being willing to share the ACC with another team owned by someone else.

Not sure what the rule is on that, but it's not a hard rule seeing as Bell owns half of MLSE and a portion of the Canadiens.

MLSE wouldn't be allowed to own the team. I'm pretty positive there's a rule against owners having shares of more than one franchise. I just can't imagine them being willing to share the ACC with another team owned by someone else.

Not sure what the rule is on that, but it's not a hard rule seeing as Bell owns half of MLSE and a portion of the Canadiens.

Apparently the NHL will be making a ruling on this soon. From the Toronto Sun:

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/09/nhl-will-deal-with-bells-ownership-of-leafs-habs

It is against the rules in the NBA, NFL, and MLB. Apparently there's some loopholes in the NHL's version of the rule.

My idea was to take one of those super-slim cameras like the ones they use for those professional helmet-cams, drill a hole dead center in the crossbar, and stick it in there. It would need to have a wide-angle lens though to get a shot of all the places guys can score from around the crease. That's the best way I can think to do it.

And when the goalie's blocking your camera view....?

There could be a much simpler way to fix the high stick goal rule. Change it from cross bar height, to shoulder height. The current rule for playing a puck is shoulder height, so making the goal height the same would make sense.

Plus, it would remove the challenge of getting an angle to determine stick height versus crossbar height. It's easy to tell if the stick is above the shoulders.

Better idea is to use the tech behind super imposing advertisements on the glass and use that to super impose a grid or plain across the ice that is exactly 4ft from the ice surface. And when you view replays, you can more easily see exactly how high the puck/stick were when they made contact.

Considering that they couldn't get the goal verification line to work, which was just a line painted in the crease, that idea probably wouldn't work.

There could be a much simpler way to fix the high stick goal rule. Change it from cross bar height, to shoulder height. The current rule for playing a puck is shoulder height, so making the goal height the same would make sense.

Plus, it would remove the challenge of getting an angle to determine stick height versus crossbar height. It's easy to tell if the stick is above the shoulders.

That's probably the best idea so far. It makes a lot of sense too. The rule about high sticks should be the same with goals as it is for just playing the puck.

I don't think this season could get much worse for a Sabres fan. First, Time Warner gets in a contract dispute and yanks MSG off the air which shows the Sabres, Knicks, Rangers, Islanders and Devils on New Years Eve - so I haven't seen a Sabres game since New Years.

We have no option here in Lakewood but to go Direct TV to get MSG, but I can't do that because I have pine trees in my back yard that would block any signal. Buffalo viewers at least have Fios as an option, but not here.

To top that off, the Sabres have been free-falling in the standings while losing the last eleven games on the road, with the red-hot Blues on the slate for tonight (another loss, I'm sure). Injuries have been huge and Miller is acting like a baby because he's having a crappy year. All of our big free agent signings either can't defend or can't fricking score.

This has gotten bad....really bad. Not sure how long this charade is going to last before some type of change is made?

I like how it's titled "Shocking Collapse of Hockey Rink Roof." Let's be honest, the most shocking part of it was the idiot who stood there and continued to film it.

Pro Tip: If a building's roof is collapsing right in front of you...........RUN.

Have you ever heard of the term "frozen with fear"? Just because someone doesn't run when something like that happens doesn't mean they're an idiot, it could just mean they were too scared to react. Either that or he was just trying to get that one awesome shot, in which case he would have been an idiot.

Have you ever heard of the term "frozen with fear"?

Psst, "frozen with fear" doesn't involve panning around the room with your camera while the building is falling apart.

Just because someone doesn't run when something like that happens doesn't mean they're an idiot

It does in my book.

So... he's broken the record three years in a row, and he's broken HIS OWN record three times in the last two years. BTW, I thought it was funny when Alfie was bowing down to him.

It seems like the creativity in the Breakaway Challenge was a lot higher this year than it has been. For instance: Kane's Superman, the shattering puck, and Perry's mini-stick. Also the goalies were awesome in that event, like Price turning his back to the Coturier (I think), and Tebowing, and Elliot spinning around. They were having a blast, which is what this weekend is for.