TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New themepark for West Virginia?

Jul. 23rd, 2006 -- A theme park bigger than Kennywood could be slated for development near Wheeling, W.Va.

Sources close to the Ohio County Development Authority say that plans are in place with a major theme park operator to develop part of The Highlands, a 1000-acre area just outside of the Wheeling area.

Source-link (rest of report): http://www.news-register.net/News/articles.asp?articleID=8723

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I am just curious about the economy of the state. Isn't the unemployment rate for WV fairly high? Perhaps the park can help create some good jobs for the area (in general) and perk-up the surrounding businesses and hotel markets.

It sounds really dumb, but the location is actually perfect for a LARGE park. If a park was built close to the Cabelas with enough drawing power there are lots of populated areas to pull from.

Pittsburgh - 1hr

Columbus - 2hrs 30mins

Cleveland - 3hrs

Although it really would take a lot for it to draw heavily from the Cleveland area, considering almost every Clevelander is nuts for Cedar Point.

Actualy in this part of the United States, the location of a park doesn't matter so much because it can take me as long to get to Kennywood as is to get to Conneaut Lake Park. The reason is traffic and with the terrain, it's hard for major highways to be built, but now that this new Mon Valley Expressway is being built to link up the sourthern portion of Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh (one of the exits is going to be right next to Kennywood); access going to and from Pittsburgh will be much easier for extreme southwest Pennsylvania. As for this new park, I'm actualy pretty excited because new competition might give Kennywood a reason to put in a B&M Invert.

It sounds really dumb, but the location is actually perfect for a LARGE park. If a park was built close to the Cabelas with enough drawing power there are lots of populated areas to pull from.

Pittsburgh - 1hr

Columbus - 2hrs 30mins

Cleveland - 3hrs

I can't see a park bigger than Kennywood. I can't see enough people from Pittsburgh going there. It's not like many people from Pittsburgh or Cleveland are currently going to Geauga Lake, a park with 10 coasters. Cedar Point is the draw in Cleveland and Kings Island is the draw in Columbus. The rumor I heard was a year round indoor park and I'd rather see something like that to compliment the existing parks.

why west virginia! isnt that like one of the least densly populated states!

A) It isn't even in the bottom 10 in total population

B) Wheeling is sandwiched in between PA and OH

C) This area could draw from a few metro areas

D) WV needs a theme park and this would be probably one of the better locations

That is why WV. Not to mention that as far as size goes, WV is comperable and even surpasses many other larger states. While we're not one of the most populated, that doesn't affect how 'dense' our population is, which is population compared to size.

I am watching TV and a little "preview of the 11 O'clock news came on and said New Theme Park in Pittsburgh area bigger then Kennywood! Now, its 9:47 PM I will post as soon as I hear more from the news "people" at 11! Coastin Katie are you watching this? More Soon!

-Zack

It's not like many people from Pittsburgh or Cleveland are currently going to Geauga Lake, a park with 10 coasters. Cedar Point is the draw in Cleveland and Kings Island is the draw in Columbus.

I go to Geauga Lake every year and so do a LOT of other people I know...so yes a lot of people DO go to GL from Pitt. As for CP Its not only the draw in Cleveland, I go there every year also and just about every person I know has been to CP at least once. Now Kings Island you are right about, I was there in '98 and '99 only because my cousin lives there...if he had never gone to UC and moved there, I probably wouldn't have went.

I cannot wait to see what this park is gonna look like. I hope "bigger then Kennywood" is meaning more coasters, and not just land-wise.

well in both links posted it says that the wheeling park will be about 1000 acres...so if someone can find out how big kennywood is, we can see.