New Park in Houston Area (Grand Texas Theme Park)

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: New Park in Houston Area (Grand Texas Theme Park)

Postby Mrlittle » Mon May 08, 2017 4:42 pm

I have heard from people who worked on the project that it will happen one day but not anytime in the next few years. But hey, Adventure Pointe is being built right now as I type this down the road. Go support them because I know they have big plans.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Boxguy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:38 pm

So Grand Texas updated their proposed map of their district
It's refreshing to see that they still somewhat care about their theme park and water park. And someone else said they're having power issues with neighborhoods and they still have to build some tunnels and a power substation which does explain a lot that's been happening recently. Although I'm still losing hope in this park I still have some faith that hopefully they'll give us an update on the theme park and water park and if they're right, Big Rivers will hopefully open in 2018 and Grand Texas will hopefully open in 2020.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Shavethewhales » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Has anyone been by this lately? Has anything of substance actually been started on yet? I went looking for news today and all I could find was the last big article that said the water park would open this summer...

I know I was just there a bit over three months ago and I was impressed by all the clearing and landwork/infrastructure, but lately I've been wondering about it more and more. Infrastructure and re-design issues can certainly cause a hold up, but if it takes this many years you are doing something wrong or it was never really your intention in the first place. Unless they have started construction or are truly about to start, this thing is really starting to smell. I noticed all along that there was an emphasis in selling off real estate parcels, but I thought that was just a piece of the big picture.

According to their site, they have sold off a fair number of parcels without any of the amusements being built besides a third party super go-kart track. That should have given them the infusion and backing needed to get, at minimum, the water park off the ground. They've also had several years to get the infrastructure and redesign issues sorted, and we know that the main pieces of the expanded water, sewer, and electrical infrastructure are already in place. So what now? Not many excuses left...

Seems like there is a chance they will come out within the next year or so and say "oops, our theme/water park plans fell through, but here's even more real estate for sale!". Somehow I could see there being a scheme behind the scenes where they rip off investors and tax payers who paid for the infrastructure improvements and make a huge windfall profit by appearing to throw in the towel and coming out with a typical neighborhood/shopping center area.

Who knows, maybe I'm reading it wrong like a lot of people, but I've tried to be supportive for years now and it's getting harder to keep the faith. When you start trying to peek under the mask, the fact that they threw together an RV park and spent so much time bragging about a go kart track built by someone else really starts to look more suspicious than hopeful, like they have tried to string along just enough news to make it look like they are working towards something. And why clear off all the land way in advance if you aren't even going to start on the other parts for several more years? If you were truly focused on building this complex one piece at a time you'd surely want to focus on the next piece at hand, but clearing everything off would raise the property value if you were really just planning on selling it off at some point.

Someone tell me that they are actually working on the water park as we speak and shut me up.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Location: Houston TX Former Astroworld since 1999, then Kemah Boardwalk

Postby historyfreak92 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Last thing I heard they opened the speed racing park which is just fine but i am hoping for the amusement park!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Boxguy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:56 pm

I have no idea what's happening. It'll be a miracle if they can FINALLY tell us what's going on over there instead of stalling on it.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby bgtlover » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:32 pm

This should answer some of the questions being asked:

Grand Texas Theme Park on Facebook
grandtexasfbpost20170617.JPG

https://communityimpact.com/houston/lake-houston-humble-kingwood/arts-entertainment/2017/06/16/grand-texas-theme-park-updates-construction-timeline/
Grand Texas Theme Park updates construction timeline
Work to begin on Big Rivers water park in August
Construction on Big Rivers—the water park planned at the Grand Texas Theme Park—will begin in August, Grand Texas CEO Monty Galland said. It could be completed as early as spring 2018, he said.

The updated timeline for Big Rivers comes after another round of delays. In January, Grand Texas officials projected the park to open this summer.

Delays were caused after the water park’s initial lender backed out; the oil and gas downturn scared lenders from making large investments in Houston, Galland said. Construction delays on infrastructure projects also pushed the project back, he said.

Now, the $9 million in infrastructure projects surrounding Big Rivers are complete and lending for the water park has been secured. Despite the delays and setbacks, Galland said he is confident the project is on track.

“My whole adult life I’ve been in real estate and real estate development, and it was always transactional,” he said. “People ask me ‘Well what’s my exit strategy?’ I always say ‘A pine box.’ I will be here for the next 30 years. We bought this land for one purpose, and that was to build a theme park.”

Once construction is completed next spring, the developer will shift its focus to the Grand Texas Theme Park, a sportsplex and a factory outlet mall similar in size and style to Tanger Outlets in Texas City.

Construction on the factory outlet mall will begin as soon as Grand Texas is able to lease 60 percent of the property, Galland said.

“The water park creates another attraction, in addition to SpeedSportz,” Galland said. “The factory outlets creates a destination as well as a tax base and all of that contributes to the infrastructure being completed.”

Park elements
The Grand Texas Theme Park will feature five roller coasters, dozens of rides and an emphasis on live entertainment, Galland said. The park’s theme is based on the history of Texas, which includes Spanish, Mexican and German influences. At its opening, Grand Texas will be about the same size as Six Flags AstroWorld—the 57-acre Houston theme park that closed in 2005, he said.

Big Rivers will be a 40-acre water park inspired by Texas rivers. In addition to the theme park, water park and Speedsportz Racing Park, Grand Texas will feature several other retail and entertainment elements, such as four hotels and 450,000 square feet of retail and dining in the park’s Downtown Texas section.

Completed projects
Construction has concluded on the first two elements of the 632-acre entertainment venue, including Grand Texas RV Park and Speedsportz Racing Park, which opened in 2016.

The kart-racing park features two European-style kart racing tracks. One of the tracks hosts professional kart races and international events, while the other services patrons for everyday use.

Grand Texas also finished construction of Speed Street—a quarter-mile road that created an entrance to Speedsportz Racing Park—in late November.

The $1.2 million project is the first phase of more than 2 miles of public roads that will be a part of Grand Texas at build-out, Grand Texas Communications Manager Jessica Marquez said.

UPDATED TIMELINES
• Big Rivers completion—spring 2018

• Grand Texas Sportsplex completion—winter 2018

• Grove Factory outlet mall completion—spring 2019

• Grand Texas Theme Park completion—spring 2020
Current Coaster Count: 86
Top 10:
1-Fury 325...2-Mako...3-Kraken...4-Montu... 5-Afterburn...6-Cheetah Hunt...7-Thunderhead...8-Manta...9-Volcano...10-Alpengeist

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Shavethewhales » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:15 am

OK, that really does answer a lot of it. So they were in fact having major investment trouble with a main backer having to leave - that is understandable and I can understand why they were being quiet about it. It sounds like everything is back in order once again and they can truly get down to business in two months. I will be watching with much anticipation.

Can't believe how much the design seems to have changed again though. I know it's always been conceptual, but the rendering shown emphasizes much more retail for the actual theme park than they initially alluded to. With the outlet mall taking up the entire east side, that's a lot of retail in an age where stores are drying up exponentially.
I love city-walk style developments though, so I'm sure it will be a hit.

The theme park area is just a placeholder I suppose. Hope they haven't lost sight of all the great theming they talked about earlier. Weren't they also hinting at an RMC like Outlaw Run?

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:48 am

Everything changes when the funding is not secured in time and the cash flow doesn't start as quickly as projected.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Boxguy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:28 am

I think it's a just prototype layout of the district. I really hope they stick to the design of both the water park and the theme park. One thing I have a question about is when is Gator Bayou and Downtown Texas opening? I'm guessing they probably got pushed back a year too. I really can't stand the amount of ungrateful people about this project that are complaining about the fact that they're building the water park first and that they're building a water park and outlet mall even though
A. They've planned on building the water park first since 2013.
B. Once the water park opens they'll work on the theme park.
C. Almost every theme park has a water park in conjunction with it. Heck, some theme parks a located right next to outlet malls, even Adventure Pointe is getting built right by Tangiers Outlet.
There's also some more ungrateful people complaining and nitpicking about other aspects of the project.
Other than that I can't wait.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:01 pm

Well hopefully now they can stay on track. 2020 really isn't that far away.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!