Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure

P. 6: Disney Magic - Final Sea Day & the Voyage into NYC!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu May 16, 2019 1:38 pm

Wow, thanks for all of the awesome photos! As someone who's never done a cruise this paints a pretty vivid picture about what all there is to do, see, eat, and drink. Now I'm just overflowing with positive vibes from reading this TR, haha. Can't wait for the next chapter Adam!
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure SJ

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:01 am

The next morning we woke up early to get our long day in Saint John, New Brunswick started. This was the only day on our Transatlantic Cruise where we planned two Port Adventures, so we needed to maximize our time in port as much as possible. Of the three Canadian ports we would visit on this cruise, this was my most anticipated, specifically for what we had planned.

First up was a land and sea tour of the Bay of Fundy. I'd grown up learning about this natural phenomenon through O, Canada at Epcot so I was eager to see the rising tides for myself. The tour was really fantastic in that it took us around the Bay by bus, stopping us off at a few viewing locations where we could see Reversing Falls, the place where the Bay of Fundy and the Saint John River meet. Following our bus ride, we circled back to the harbor to hop on a cruiser to see Reversing Falls up close. From the boat we could see a variety of local wildlife including bald eagles and seals. We spent about 30 minutes circling Reversing Falls, circling the natural whirlpool caused by the joining of two bodies of water. At the time we did this Port Adventure, it was low tide.

We returned to the ship for lunch and a viewing of John Carter (on demand) in our stateroom before heading back out to catch our next Port Adventure... The Moosehead Brewery tour! As a fan of Moosehead, I was excited to get the chance to tour the brewery firsthand. As it turns out, all Moosehead beer distributed internationally is produced from this, the one and only brewery to the label's name. As with most brewery tours we had the chance to learn every step in the brewing process, but what I found most exciting about this one was that we could enjoy unlimited samples during the tour and had the chance to try some Moosehead Lager straight from the brewing barrel without all of the preservatives that allow it to hold past bottling. Following the tour we were able to purchase more samples (which we did) before heading back to the ship...

Our cruise was nearing its end, with one more day at sea before we'd pull into port in New York City...
1.JPG
Ain't she a beaut?
2.JPG
If you'd believe it, this was low tide.
3.JPG
The Bay of Fundy is something you could watch churn for an extended period of time and be charmed consistently.
4.JPG
The natural whirlpools caused by the mixing of waters from the Saint John River are mesmerizing.
5.JPG
Our driver shared with us a unique legend about beavers of Saint John that used to be this big creating a dam... I don't remember much else but the sculptural tribute was neat.
6.JPG
Can't go far without seeing the Bay of Fundy.
7.JPG
No shortage of good views of our ship.
8.JPG
Like the Hollywood sign... But less recognizable.
9.JPG
Oo-ee, oo-ee baby
Oo-ee, oo-ee baby
Oo-ee, oo-ee baby
Won't ya let me take you on a sea cruise?
10.JPG
Seals!
11.JPG
High tide versus low tide on the Bay of Fundy...
12.JPG
Time and tides, love.
13.JPG
Crazy to thing that the tides rise high enough to have a boat at the top of that dock.
14.JPG
We spotted several bald eagles during our sea portion of the Fundy by Land and Sea tour.
15.JPG
The Skywalk allows you the chance to step out over the Bay of Fundy... Having seen it from here, it was far less enticing.
16.JPG
Quite pretty.
17.JPG
LEVIATHAN!!!
18.JPG
Look closely and you can see the meeting waters churn.
19.JPG
Have I mentioned how much I love this ship?
20.JPG
A look the ship's emblem...
21.JPG
The AquaDunk really is awesome!
22.JPG
Another AquaDunk angle.
23.JPG
How you know you're in Canada...
24.JPG
I don't have an explanation for this one... But sadly, it isn't named Boaty McBoatface.
25.JPG
What do I do during down time on a Disney Cruise? Watch John Carter, obviously.
26.JPG
It's a moose's head... Which means...
27.JPG
I'm at the Moosehead Brewery!
28.JPG
Classic Moosehead bottles over the years...
29.JPG
This is where they test new beer consistencies like the Moosehead Fizzy Lifting Drink.
30.JPG
Time for unlimited samples!
31.JPG
BEER!
32.JPG
While it looks like something out of Star Trek: The Original Series, this fancy do-dad controls the brewing process throughout.
33.JPG
Fresh from the barrel--this was an incredible tasting experience unlike any I'd had before!
34.JPG
Delicious AND refreshing!
35.JPG
The tour concludes with a walk through the bottle/canning factory...
36.JPG
Which naturally gives way to the tasting room.
37.JPG
I couldn't resist!
38.JPG
When we returned to our stateroom, we found this beauty, complements of the Disney Magic.
39.JPG
What an awesome souvenir!
40.JPG
How often do you get the chance to see Max out and about?
41.JPG
Oysters Rockefeller at dinner!
42.JPG
Lobster night!
43.JPG
I might've had three lobster tails... I might've.
44.JPG
Just hanging with the boys...
45.JPG
Best chipmunks are best!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon May 27, 2019 12:45 pm

Such an awesome cruise! Good food,good excursions, all the little details you'd expect from Disney. Glad you had fun!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon May 27, 2019 2:16 pm

An amazing trans-Atlantic cruise, to be sure! And the Maritime Provinces are a whole section of Canada I have, sadly, yet to visit. Glad you enjoyed your adventures there, ashore. And Moosehead! How could you go wrong with that? :smile:

Thanks for sharing (nearly) all of your trip.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Wed May 29, 2019 5:50 am

I think it's a reference to a British kids show called Tugs. Imagine somebody who made Thomas the Tank Engine said 'Let's do the same... but with boat's,' Don't think it did well, I remember having a VHS of 4 episodes from a 2 pound bargain bin when I was really young.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu May 30, 2019 4:14 pm

You are correct. It's called Theodore Tugboat.

Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure DMFDay

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:32 am

As our cruise was winding down (and the last stop on our Grand European Adventure was winding up), it was time to enjoy one final day at sea aboard the Disney Magic... Which meant more food, more fun and an unforgettable end to our 11 night Transatlantic Cruise!
1.JPG
Mimosas and bellinis to start our report? Where must we be?
2.JPG
Palo Brunch of course!
3.JPG
All the cheese. I cried happy tears.
4.JPG
Serious folks, there are few finer experiences at sea than Palo Brunch.
5.JPG
All you care to enjoy Iberico Ham. Dig in.
6.JPG
A seafood lover's paradise... As it was mine.
7.JPG
The dessert options are equally amazing.
8.JPG
I started with a modest set of selections from the buffet...
9.JPG
Palo Brunch also includes a selection of all-you-care-to-enjoy made-to-order entrees.

The Chicken Parmigiana is easily the best I've had anywhere.
10.JPG
I like cheese.
11.JPG
Magic in every sip!
12.JPG
The calzones are incredible!
13.JPG
Dessert is always my favorite portion of the experience... Particularly the champagne jello with fresh berries.
14.JPG
I've now seen this statue in two locations... More clarification on that to follow in a future trip report.
15.JPG
Near Rapunzel's Royal Table is a hallway with these sketches... They were kept as a nod to the rotational dining venue that came before, Parrot Cay.
16.JPG
I love this space on the ship.
17.JPG
Quite an atrium!
18.JPG
There were plenty of merchandise options for our cruise!
19.JPG
I might've brought a lot of this stuff home with me... I might've.
20.JPG
Also new was a series of 20th anniversary merchandise for Disney Cruise Line.
21.JPG
I could never get tired of this view!
22.JPG
I love the way the loading platform for Twist 'n' Spout is hidden in the ship's funnel.
23.JPG
Schwarma!
24.JPG
So cool!
25.JPG
Build a bowls were also a hit for our trip!
26.JPG
Taking in the sea for one more day!
27.JPG
Mesmerizing...
28.JPG
Such a fun family slide!
29.JPG
And something a little more thrilling.
30.JPG
Homeward bound!
31.JPG
These two are the best!
32.JPG
Animation Magic at Animator's Palate is the most incredible dining experience Disney Cruise Line has dreamed up for their rotational dining venues. You create your own character (this was my poor attempt at an Oswald the Lucky Rabbit drawing) and later in the meal you see your character come to life like magic.
33.JPG
Animator's Palate really transforms for the experience!
34.JPG
Hey, I recognize that poorly drawn rabbit!
35.JPG
Seeing your art dance with the Disney characters is seriously amazing.
36.JPG
Hanging out with the Captain!
37.JPG
Time to say farewell to our friends...
38.JPG
It isn't so long... It's just a "See ya real soon!"
39.JPG
Early the next morning (4:00 AM) I huddled towards the bow of the ship to brave the bracing wind for a unique view...
40.JPG
New York City greeted us with a warm glow... My first time seeing the Freedom Tower in person.
41.JPG
And Lady Liberty greets us in the harbor like she has for so many travelers before.
42.JPG
The experience of sailing into New York City is worth the cruise alone. There's something moving about the experience that I simply cannot describe.
43.JPG
It happened so fast, but I will never forget this experience.
44.JPG
To give you an idea of how close you get...
45.JPG
This was a view I could dream to for a few more hours...
46.JPG
After a quick breakfast, it was time to disembark.
47.JPG
It was genuinely strange to disembark the ship for the last time... For two and a half weeks we had been in Europe and sailing... The longest vacation we'd ever taken together (and when it was over, the longest I'd ever taken, topping the TPR East Coast/Behemoth Bash tour combo by two days) and the ship had been our home for a good portion of the adventure. The Cast and Crew went out of their way to make this the most incredible voyage I'd taken. The food, the entertainment, the ports, the unexpected surprises. It was hard to believe there was still more vacation ahead, knowing how incredible everything that had come before had been.
48.JPG
We dropped our stuff off and proceeded to explore the city, trying first to see if we could squeeze in tickets for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, having tried and failed for the lotteries for the London and New York versions of the show on the same trip.
49.JPG
Needless to say, we didn't get in. Tickets are outrageously priced, even for last minute availability. We really wanted to see this show but for the money we didn't spend to see it in London or New York, we managed to see two shows in London and two in New York...

I'm just going to blame our luck on the Pepsi truck out front.
50.JPG
We've arrived...

The final installment of this Grand Adventure is coming soon!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!