Lionsgate to bring attractions to Times Square in 2019

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Lionsgate to bring attractions to Times Square in 2019

Postby larrygator » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:01 pm

This article flew under my radar. Although it will not take up a huge footprint it sounds intriguing.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lionsgate-bring-hunger-games-twilight-attractions-new-yorks-times-square-1043940

Lionsgate to Bring 'Hunger Games,' 'Divergent' Attractions to New York's Times Square
9:00 AM PDT 9/28/2017 by Etan Vlessing

The Hollywood studio will also introduce a 'Mad Men' dining experience and a 'John Wick: Chapter Two' shooting ride to 42nd Street, starting in 2019.

Lionsgate is offering its first indoor entertainment center in New York's Times Square in 2019, it was announced Thursday.

The studio is teaming with Spain's Parques Reunidos, a global leisure-park operator, to launch Lionsgate Entertainment City at 11 Times Square. The planned attractions include a Hunger Games-inspired Peeta's Bakery and The Capitol Confectionery; a flying-simulator attraction; a Divergent-themed obstacle course; and a John Wick: Chapter Two shooting ride where fans go head-to-head with a series of assailants.

The flagship Lionsgate indoor attraction also plans a Mad Men-themed dining experience, a theater for 4D film, live show experiences and virtual reality entertainment. Lionsgate film and TV property-themed attractions are also planned in the U.S. and elsewhere internationally as the Hollywood studio eyes movie and TV tie-ins to drive new revenue opportunities.

"We're delighted to kick off our partnership with Parques Reunidos in midtown Manhattan, and we look forward to extending our alliance to other major U.S. and European cities as we continue to grow our location-based entertainment business around the world," Lionsgate senior vp global live and location-based entertainment Jenefer Brown said in a statement.

Lionsgate's location-based entertainment business includes separate planned attractions in the U.S., Europe, the Middle East and Asia. The studio earlier announced the launch of the outdoor theme park Lionsgate Movie World at Jeju Island, South Korea.

Elsewhere, the indoor theme park Lionsgate Entertainment World is currently under development in Hengqin, China, and the Lionsgate Zone of the Motiongate theme park is slated to open in Dubai later this fall.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Lionsgate to bring attractions to Times Square in 2019

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:18 am

Oh cool. Seems like a lot of simulators. Won't get me to come to New York, but certainly something I'd make time for once I'm there.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:53 pm

I think I even saw a sign for this when we were in Times Square last month?

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:33 pm

This sounds like an updated-upteched Joypolis (in Japan) being put into Time Square.
Good for them, if it works out. And if it doesn't.....? :?r
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby ericthewanderer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:48 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:This sounds like an updated-upteched Joypolis (in Japan) being put into Time Square.
Good for them, if it works out. And if it doesn't.....? :?r

It'll be renamed to Six Flags Power Plant.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:00 pm

^ :lol: Good idea.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:22 am

I'm hoping this fares better than some of the other recent attempts at family attractions in Times Square... The NFL Experience died out pretty quickly (we looked at going a few months ago just to check it out but the price was insanely high for the experience).
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:44 pm

They had me at John Wick!

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!