Photo TR: 22 Days in China with TPR

UPDATE--Chap. 22: Hong Kong Disneyland
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Photo TR: 22 Days in China with TPR

Postby larrygator » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:06 am

I finally found a picture of our lunch at Jin Jiang. Amazing thing was this was the only meal on the whole trip that looked exactly like it did in the picture.
PICT1174.JPG
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:35 am

Chapter 12: Still More Shanghai Credit Whoring--or How to Fix a Golden Horse Spinning Coaster with a Big Stick
This was another marathon day for hitting coasters in Shanghai's city parks. As you've probably gathered by now, nearly every city park in China seems to have some sort of amusement park with either a Spinning Coaster, a Jungle Mouse, or a Sliding Dragon, or perhaps all three.

This day really is a bit of a blur for me--we just hit so many parks! But it does stand out for one amusing moment: "The Curious Incident of the Coaster with a Wedgie." Yes, our last park of the day, Century Park, was home to a Golden Horse spinner dubbed "Rotating Pulley." One of the cars on this ride didn't always reset itself properly after completing a circuit, which caused it to get wedged in place just before making the turn into the station. In a amazing show of Chinese technical prowess, two park workers freed the car by 1) poking at it with a very large stick from below and 2) pulling on it from above.

It was easy to tell that this was a common occurrence on the Rotating Pulley--the stick was already in position when the car became stuck. I imagine the two guys running the coaster took turns in this procedure, too: "OK, I'm the stick man today. You get up on the track!"

Never in America (or most other countries).

Well, there were two other memorable high spots to this day: a hallucinogenic trip under the river via the Bund Sightseeing Tunnel and dinner at Elissa's favorite dumpling place. (And damn good dumplings they were, too--thanks, Elissa!)

Off we go.
01.jpg
You know, I'd really like to buy a kite. Anyone around here sell kites?
02.jpg
Welcome to Gongqing Forest Park--looked like a nice place.
03.jpg
Well, I don't know if I'd go as far as "luxurious," but it was a pleasant park.
04.jpg
This ride, the Inertia Roller Coaster, had strange effects on people.
05.jpg
Some were simply overwhelmed by the experience.
06.jpg
Bill was transformed into a many-armed god!
07.jpg
As for Brian and Robb, well, . . .
08.jpg
. . . they're just having way too much fun.
09.jpg
I think you can guess the effects that the Loop and Spiral Coaster had on people.
10.jpg
We've all experienced that moment where one realizes, all too late, that a fatal mistake has been made: Robert E. Lee when he ordered Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg, us when this train left the station.
11.jpg
I hate it when a lawn pretends to be something it's not! Stupid, specious lawn!
12.jpg
Oh, China, you're just asking for it now! Remember what happened to Golden Horse at IAAPA!
13.jpg
Now you may think this is a powered Sliding Dragon.
14.jpg
But the Golden Dragon Roller Coaster is, in fact, Big Worm Inertia Train in disguise! One might say that it is a "Specious Sliding Dragon."
15.jpg
This is Peace Park at Heping Park. Or was that Heping Park at Peace Park? Or maybe it was neither. Hmm . . .
16.jpg
Whatever its name, the park did have the Outer Space Flying Car! Eat your heart out, Space Mountain!
17.jpg
Yes! A dark ride!
18.jpg
Larry can scarcely contain his excitement!
19.jpg
My god! It's a Chinese lamp! And it's red--like blood!
20.jpg
The whole ride was worth it just for this. More to come.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:01 am

Do you think you can handle more Shanghai madness? Are you prepared for what may be the trippiest attraction since Nights in White Satin: The Ride? If not, look away now!

You have been warned.
21.jpg
Welcome to Luxun Park.
22.jpg
One of my biggest fans was there. (Ha! I am on fire! Or maybe I should just be set on fire for that one. Sorry.)
23.jpg
I think the guy who was doing the gymnastics on the bar here has strong kung fu. Or maybe he's about to fall on his head.
24.jpg
There was some sort of "festival of lights" going on at the park. Of course, it's a bit hard to appreciate in broad daylight.
25.jpg
"Rub mah belly, yankee dog!"
26.jpg
Lucha libre! (Actually, they're masks from Chinese opera, which probably doesn't involve body slamming people or ramming them into turnbuckles.)
27.jpg
This is part of a very long sculpture of a dragon made entirely out of dinner plates. How long to you think such a sculpture would last in the U.S.?
28.jpg
Behold the splendor of the Gliding Dragon--which is not made out of dinner plates.
29.jpg
We went to yet another Peoples Park. I think.
30.jpg
Another park, another Gliding Dragon.
31.jpg
There was an enormous mall across the street--and it had a Carl's Jr.! Western Bacon Cheeseburger! Hot damn!
32.jpg
And now, our last park of the day.
33.jpg
Hmm--I guess an inactive bike could be said to be "fallow." Or perhaps, in China, bikes grow like weeds in fallow fields?
34.jpg
I don't see any bikes sprouting out here. Nice flowers, though.
35.jpg
And now, "The Curious Incident of the Coaster with a Wedgie." Cheryl and Divv were spared the horror of this occurrence. But others were not so lucky.
36.jpg
"Aw, crap! It's happened again. Best get to pokin', pushin', and pullin'!"
37.jpg
I'm pretty sure that this procedure is in the Golden Horse operator's manual for this attraction.
38.jpg
Good luck, folks--looks like you're gonna need it.
39.jpg
Divv is evidently shocked by something at this tea house. I have no idea what it could be.
40.jpg
No thanks--maybe some other time.
41.jpg
And now, the Chinese version of Nights in White Satin: The Ride. This conveyance goes through a tunnel at the bottom of the river.
42.jpg
Marijuana smoke and vaporized LSD are pumped into this capsule while you ride.
43.jpg
"Nights in white satin/Never reaching the end."
44.jpg
"Letters I've written . . . never meaning to send . . ."
45.jpg
"Beauty I've always missed . . ." Oh, wow . . .
46.jpg
Aghh! Bad trip! Must have dumplings! That's all for now.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:38 pm.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:44 pm

Nice report so far Chuck. With the number of parks you have visited on the trip I can imagine it becoming a blur. Unless there is something to make a ride or park stand out everything starts to blend.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:20 pm

The credit-whoring days are a lot of fun, but all those Jungle Mouse and Sliding Dragon coasters tend to run together once the trip is over. Again, my thanks to Larry for his list of Chinese parks and coasters.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:15 pm

gisco wrote:With the number of parks you have visited on the trip I can imagine it becoming a blur. Unless there is something to make a ride or park stand out everything starts to blend.

Bob - that was certaining the case as all the public parks had similar ride selections. There were quirks at many public parks that made some stand out but without my notes I can't tell you which parks had the following curiosities: homemade games of chances, the sleeping ticket seller, the spinning coaster that got stuck, the powered coaster where we had to line up in size order.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:52 pm

The number of rides and places you visited were insane! Great update! Love seeing all the strange stuff you can't find in the US.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:13 pm

Chapter 13: "Innovative" and "Delightful"--Happy Valley Shanghai with a Side of Giant Wheel Park

Apparently, Happy Valley Shanghai is both "innovative" and "delightful." It must be--they painted it on a wall!

Well, if you define "innovative" as the ability to clone rides from other parks, I guess you could use that word to describe the park. (And, hey, I was simply delighted that our guide, Tom, could find the place.) Yes, this park features Chinese versions of a Disney ride and a Universal ride: Soarin' Over California and Spider-man. Only you're soarin' over China and riding around inside a super storm, both while watching somewhat blurry computer graphics.

But although these rides were a bit "interesting," they were hardly the best that Happy Valley Shanghai had to offer. In fact, this park has a pretty damn solid selection of coasters. Wooden Coaster Fireball had received rave reviews when it opened in 2009 as an insane, airtime-filled ride--but had it aged well? Fortunately, the ride had undergone some extensive re-tracking (new wood all over the place), and it was running very well. Was it as good as a few years ago? I'll leave that to others, but I liked it a lot.

The park had an excellent Mega-Lite (Or is it redundant to use "excellent" in the same sentence as "Mega-Lite"?); a B&M dive machine, with the catchy name of Diving Coaster; a Zamperla Spinning Coaster (surprising, I know); and Lele's Chariot (a kiddie coaster). But, in a bit of a twist, the park had an Intamin Mine Train. (I guess they must've outbid Golden Horse and Vekoma for a change.)

Top it off with the North Pole Adventure shooting dark ride, Desperadoes, and some solid theming (particularly "Goldmine Town,") and you have a pretty nice park--I enjoyed it.

We hit another park that evening. More on that later. For now, let's have a look at Happy Valley Shanghai. (It was another gray day, so my pictures aren't exactly top quality. Sorry about that.)
01.jpg
Welcome to Happy Valley Shanghai, a park that is both . . .
Innovative Creative.jpg
You see? I told you!
02.jpg
Look! It's Mario's brother, Luigi, and he's holding a horn! So innovative!
03.jpg
Or how about a Transformer that looks like he's just waking up after downing boilermakers at Applebee's all night? Isn't that delightful?
04.jpg
Must've Been Chinese Flag Day, or something.
05.jpg
Wooden Coaster Fireball! (You know, this park could use some help with names.)
06.jpg
Fireball is located in a section called "Happy Hour." Does this guy look happy to you? My guess is that his orthopedist and chiropractor will be very happy to see him.
07.jpg
This looks one of Lewis Carroll's rejected concepts for "Alice in Wonderland." Old Lewis probably awoke from an opium-induced haze and wondered, "What the hell was I thinking?"
08.jpg
Yes, it's another filming session.
09.jpg
Action!
10.jpg
Like I said earlier, I really liked this ride.
11.jpg
This shot is pretty blurry, but Cheryl's "hairtime" should give you a pretty good idea of why I liked it.
12.jpg
Everyone looks delighted--and relieved!
13.jpg
See all that new wood? Nice work, Happy Valley!
14.jpg
Nice shirts, too.
15.jpg
Next stop, Diving Coaster! They actually drove us from ride to ride for filming. The park's staff was very nice.
16.jpg
Hmm--I don't recall ever encountering a "pre-gnant" woman. I wonder if I've been around "post-gnant" women?
17.jpg
Robb and Hanno at work.
18.jpg
I had no idea that Robb and Mike were so "close."
19.jpg
Diving Coaster is Sheikra without the theming.
20.jpg
And that's OK--I really like B&M Dive Machines.
21.jpg
I especially like them when they're floorless.
22.jpg
Just in case you forgot where we were.
23.jpg
Next stop, Mega-Lite--another ride with a catchy name.
24.jpg
But a Mega-Lite by any other name . . .
25.jpg
. . . would still be an amazing . . .
26.jpg
. . . airtime-filled machine!
27.jpg
Yeah, you could name this ride "Frank" or "Little Big Steel Coaster" or "Melvin," and it would still be great. (You know, let's go with "Melvin"--what the hell.) More to come from Happy Valley Shanghai!
Last edited by cfc on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:08 am.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Still more innovation and delight from Happy Valley Shanghai!
28.jpg
Welcome to "Goldmine Town." Again, this park should hire a naming consultant. Why not "Gold Gulch" or "Desperado Canyon"?
29.jpg
Still, I guess "Goldmine Town" is better than "Mine Train Coaster."
30.jpg
Hmm--I think I see a flaw in their approach to mining here. Might want to rethink that.
31.jpg
The world needs more Intamin Mine Trains, and TPR was happy to provide footage of this one.
32.jpg
It has a rather impressive mountain, too.
33.jpg
My god! It appears that we must brave the terrifying "Ant Kingdom"!
34.jpg
What horrors will we encounter here?
34a.jpg
Look! A reject flying dragon from the Main Street Electrical Parade! I thought it was "glowing away forever"!
35.jpg
Our worst nightmare is realized!
36.jpg
Yes, the true spirit of Yuletide is stripped, revealing its essence.
38.jpg
And that essence is the terrific greed of children!
37.jpg
I guess elves think that vertical-striped pants are "slimming." What do you think?
39.jpg
Disney has the "backside of water." Happy Valley has the "backside of Christmas."
40.jpg
Oversized pick = theming. (Sorry--that's all I got here.)
41.jpg
Desperadoes! Yes! Larry is a very happy man now!
42.jpg
"You strangers best take care. I hear that Divv Walsh feller is in town!"
43.jpg
"They say he's the fastest gun in Glasgow!"
44.jpg
Sheesh! We're always bumping into Piers at Happy Valley parks.
45.jpg
Uh oh! I see the potential for shenanigans here!
46.jpg
Potential realized.
47.jpg
Yay! The Flying Island works!
57.jpg
I rode this for spite, which apparently was a violation of park rules.
48.jpg
This was some sort of theatre--we missed the show.
49.jpg
I'd rather get up close and personal with Fireball, anyway.
50.jpg
This should give you an idea of just how crazy this coaster is.
51.jpg
We had great luck with woodies during this trip.
52.jpg
Here's a "Fire Academy" knockoff. I think the crashed plane is a nice touch.
53.jpg
Yep--Mine Train Coaster is pretty durn twisty. One more set of photos to come.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:04 pm

Too bad they didn't have any burning bodies hanging out of the plane...

To put out, of course. :p *I - am - kidding*
But it wouldn't surprise me if they did that, at the park.

Great continuing TR as always Chuck. And it's fantastic getting those other smaller parks
in order. They are a blur to me at this time, and I don't think my brain is going to
sort them out, even with time, heh heh.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive