TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College!

Scaparri

^^That list says that my college at the moment (Dartmouth College) is ranked number 10 in the nation. Wow, my international program back home didn't lie when they said they would put us in good schools! For those still applying, I highly recommend Dartmouth.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with those rankings is that they are so subjective. A great school for one person might not be a great school for the next person. There simply is a lot that you must look at, beyond rankings, when you chose a school.

I actually sutdy in Colombia in a high school called Liceo de los Andes. I'm senior and I'm graduate this summer. I'm goign to Santa Barbara city college for 6 mothns this year. The I comeback here to Colombia. Today was the photo shoot of the seniros was so cool. Here in Colombia most of the schools have eleven grade we don't have 12 grade in here. The schools are made by groups and you always seee clases with the same classmates cause you all form a group. The groups are named like Eleven 1, elven 2 or Elven A and Eleven B. In my school by letters.

celulas.jpg.c75781aa7a5f52a9f4f8ee1773c581c1.jpg

Seniors. Class A and Class B

todos.jpg.126f52afdf7c538bfe1efd7f0b73af54.jpg

Seniors Class A & B.

112469500_promchaketas.jpg.76df7fc44734fdbe85ac1386f231a4e6.jpg

Seniors Class A

muchos2.jpg.a76941aacd014c55e54803893d33f18a.jpg

1637343564_Diadelamoryalamistad.jpg.0ed0cf815a2729a2b9a57a8f77012377.jpg

Seniors A & B

toga2.jpg.96ad1373f784e0e39a9377cbf16f1f0d.jpg

Senoirs Class A

For what its worth, Forbes recently composed a list called "How to Choose A College."Alabama was ranked #7 among Public Universities. That school to the south, #46.

Just finishing up my second year at Alabama. I still haven't decided on a major.

It depends on what you go for.

I majored in Math - Auburn has a really good Math program, I would totally go there over Bama! of course, there are programs at Bama that are better than those at Auburn..

There is no universal naswer which school is better

edit: that list put UGA in the top 10 and GaTech at #39. WTF.

pseudo-edit: they compiled data from ratemyprofessors... um, no.

^I think all kids feel that if they are being challenged by a teacher, then that teacher is too hard which really is a joke because the kids are just being lazy. But really, there is a thing as too hard. My economics teacher, one of my classes tests average for just 4th period(I'm in honors, not regulars), was a 43, the highest grade was in the 60's and he did not drop the test.

On the good note, I just found out UCF has an excellent med school so I talked to my parents and that is where I might be going. I'm either getting a ph'd in Biomed or I want to be an ER doctor, haven't decided.

--David

• 2 weeks later...

Not in college yet, but I plan to go. I would like to go to:

University of Georgia (major in Music Business)

Savannah College of Art and Design (major in film production)

Pratt Institute NY (major in Media Arts)

I would like to go to Pratt over the other two, but I don't know if I could pay that much. Maybe a few scholarhips would help...

Besides, I've got a few years left before I make my decision. But I am definitely applying to all three of these schools.

CPfan, don't worry about deciding what path you want to go down just yet... I was planning on medical school, but completely changed my mind when I became involved in research. Now I plan on getting a PhD in molecular biology.

Besides, the classes you need to take for PhD programs and medical school are identical, with the exception of physics (PhD programs do not necessarily require it). Just major in a science, make sure you take all of the required classes, and from there do whatever interests you (research, hospital volunteering, EMT work, etc). Entering college with a narrow view of what you will do afterwards may prevent you from discovering what motivates you, which is truly what college is all about.

I hope my advice doesn't come off as condescending. I just want to make sure you get the most out of college.

Mine is still down to either University of Memphis or University of Mississippi (Ole Miss). I thought it was fairly clear that I would go to Memphis but today I got an invitation to be in Ole Miss' honor program.

Just making it harder.... haha. But I've got some time to look at the two some more.

Yeah, I started out with Graphics, but then switched to Accounting. I decided I hated Accounting, so then did Marketing which had a lot of the same lower-level courses that Accounting did, so my classes barely changed. I'm a huge politics nerd, so I finally just decided to do Political Science, although writing essays about politics barely seems like work to me because I enjoy arguing about that sort of stuff so much. Since I got far enough into the business curriculum I am still getting a business degree, although I have downgraded to a minor in Business Administration to allow for my Poli-Sci major.

I want to be a college professor in Political Science eventually, so I'll probably go to grad school after my undergrad.

I currently go to Clemson on an athletic scholarship. I REALLY like the school, but I am so tired of swimming 500's, 1000's, and miles, waking up at 5am every day, and just generally being restricted in my social life. I can't stay at Clemson without my scholarship, so I may transfer somewhere else for the fall. I want to stay in the Southeast, so I've applied to Auburn and Alabama, and the option to go to school in Florida is always there since I would get in state tuition.

Who knows, I might stay at Clemson, it's such a great place when swimming isn't in season.

Sick dude you swim?? Haha so do I, I am a breaststroker. I currently go to a small engineering school near Albany NY...RPI

^I shuddered when I read your events. I don't know how you do it. I've never had the stamina to be competitive on anything longer than a 200. I loved the sprint events, especially the 50. The competition is so close. You can be a hair slower than the winner and finish last. There was nothing better than killing my body for 20 seconds in an all out racing frenzy. I miss the excitement of that.

I wish I had never taken a break from swimming. I would have loved to have swam competitively in college like most of my family.

I would have loved to have swam competitively in college

I'll trade you. Right now.

No but seriously, I don't think I'm going back to Clemson in the fall for so many reasons that can't really be explained in a post like this. Basically, being a college athlete isn't all it's cracked up to be, I'd rather put my energy into something that I enjoy more. I may end up at Alabama, Auburn, or UCF next year. If I go to Alabama or Auburn then I'll probably go in the fall, but if I decide to go with UCF then I'll probably take a semester off to work. I'm happy with however that situation works out, I just wish I had a better idea of where I'll be living when August rolls around.

That's awesome that you used to swim btw.

^Wow, so how many people here want to go to UCF and are swimmers including myself? lol

Good to hear about UCF. My twin is Premed and once I start teaching to Orlando, he may share an apartment with me if he does go to the UCF med school. He wants to be a Pediatrician.

What year are you all in college? I will not make it to UCF for 5 years due to the current track I am on for graduating. IT is a program where in 5 years you graduate with a Bachelor's in biology and a Master's in Biomedical Engineering. The problem though is that years 3 and 4 are year-round schooling.

I would really love to make it out to UCF one day. I am hoping that if I can maintain my GPA freshman year then maybe I can transfer out since I was already accepted once there. I believe they have a swim team there which is good for me. My current (University of Texas at Arlington) does not have a swim team so I am joing a Master's team up there to *hopefully* stay in shape to swim competitively again.

--David

I believe they have a swim team there which is good for me.

Nope.

Plus, UCF is kind of an athletic joke anyways. That's one of the biggest drawbacks of that school to me, I want a football team that I can take seriously. I grew up in an SEC town and I've competed for two years in the ACC, so I have a hard time taking UCF athletics seriously.

^oops, my mistake. Ah well, I'd rather go to UCF then swim competitively anyways. I am more of good academics come first, then sports second person. As long as I stay in shape then I am perfectly content. All I need is to be able to at least swim on my own in a pool for a while.