TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Lake Winnie

DerekRx

When we knew we were going to SFOG for Spring Fling, I also looked into other parks in the area we could include. Since neither of us had ever been to Lake Winnie, that was the obvious choice. I didn't know what to prepare for, I was thinking it'd be something like Del Grosso's with a woodie, and that's pretty much what it was. Luckily for us, traffic wasn't bad and we managed to get there in about 1:30, spend 1:30 in the park, and got back to Atlanta with plenty of time to eat. The park wasn't very crowded, but it wasn't exactly empty either. We did 3 rides on the Cannon Ball, 1 on the mouse, 1 on the Wacky Worm, and a ride on the Boat Chute, Orbitor, Castle dark ride, Oh Zone, and took some pics. Cute little park with some nice rides. Sadly I guess the Fly O Plane was removed.

SFOG0406055.jpg.af2dd810031df09f473f40d82afdf3f2.jpg

Lake Winnie is worth the stop if you're taking a trip from Dollywood to SFOG or vice versa. Its a cute old-school amusement park with a mildly thrilling old woodie

SFOG0406063.jpg.70876d65d617ee7067a82b37f924fe60.jpg

And they got antique cars and other usual rides too

SFOG0406062.jpg.db0d2394a0735d0864e213571619767c.jpg

Don't forget the Wacky Worm, hidden behind the carrousel and dark ride

SFOG0406064.jpg.3aa61abcd2f5b4bb23a02f19c5a99610.jpg

The parts of the park not over water are tucked away in the trees

SFOG0406085.jpg.804ef0775382ffa9c423511ee11da322.jpg

You don't get too wet though, and its old and historical or something, so its worth checking out if you're at the park

SFOG0406082.jpg.b845a2983ed4a5c6c292634cbafab835.jpg

Its pretty much a ride through a giant tin tunnel with no scenery, and then a splashdown into the lake

SFOG0406079.jpg.36e81dc43000d78ff00c5fad8fad8094.jpg

I didn't know what to expect from the Boat Chute

SFOG0406081.jpg.742c6efd881a4df1beb13447790f328c.jpg

Lake Winnie's chairlift goes right over the water for the entire ride

SFOG0406073.jpg.1925542198945519c71bc6b3f1088cde.jpg

"I know I have a pizza on my head, I'm saving it for later!"

SFOG0406072.jpg.a69df38c2480e7a7207fed679f948cd4.jpg

A trainload of riders get ready for the Cannon Ball, which is a nice little woodie

SFOG0406068.jpg.ee62e3eaebfc179d4f78836537a90135.jpg

The Orbiter was running really good!

SFOG0406060.jpg.73037320967ff29edd7d95c0b01b5445.jpg

The Carrousel is over water

SFOG0406051.jpg.453d124f2c7c0a4bdce31805ef2f5273.jpg

Hello Hersheypark's old Conestoga. I see you are closed, just like at Hershey

SFOG0406059.jpg.2ebf41e02f5a84816ef0ee6ecf1c480f.jpg

I really like this brand of drop towers, it was a big hit with the park too, even though it doesn't have a queue yet

SFOG0406054.jpg.e7b86da7c6ac0ee39059cdd769a651ff.jpg

Cannon Ball and the new Oh Zone drop tower

SFOG0406048.jpg.f8238f7501fb83438d9c521618d27cbb.jpg

Wild Lightnin' got its queue straight out of RCT

SFOG0406047.jpg.035be09fc7b768836aa7bd0205c631c4.jpg

This ride must have been the inspiration for Dinosaur. Lots of darkness and a random sound of something not working right in the blacklights.

SFOG0406046.jpg.14548751a3897df07e673a7ab5bb210f.jpg

The pirate ship is right over the lake

SFOG0406045.jpg.e886cef32853e6c205fb330618aa5416.jpg

The round up looked pretty good

SFOG0406043.jpg.87a762aab8e9b5449a72d2d6ac246b68.jpg

Well, looks like we won't be staying long!

SFOG0406042.jpg.14d0f5b9efd15589c1e542d1bd280449.jpg

Awesome! Apparently Jesus is here today, I can't wait to meet him

SFOG0406044.jpg.1d067cedefb350d4bc485da9d1760968.jpg

So, here's Lake Winnie

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers Derek. I'm thinking of hitting this place up if I get out to Georgia again before the year is out. How did you cope without a drink?

Lake Winnie looks like a very nice little park to stop by at. I noticed they don't open till 12 on Sundays so everyone can get out of church!

I was wondering where Connestoga went. Although I only went on it twice while it was at Hershey, I thought it was a fun ride (and now with Joker at Dorney gone as well, those type of rides seem to be gone from the area)

^Yeah, it ran pretty good at Hershey back in the day. In its later years I think it had maint. problems. Joker left Dorney because of Hydra, but you can still get a similar experience on the Huss Rainbow, I think SFA has one, or the 1001 Nachts/Magic Carpet at Knoebels or Kennywood.

I was at Lake Winnie the day before. Orbiter was fantastic, especially compared to BGE's. It felt like my face was getting ripped off! Also, there was no one there, so we just stayed on rides like Orbiter and Oh-Zone....even Wacky Worm. The ride-op even ENCOURAGED us (without our asking) to take pictures from the Oh-Zone tower. Lake Winnie is definitely a one-of-a-kind place and I had a lot of fun there.

Looks like you had fun. When I was there last July, the security NAZI almost made me stop taking pictures of...the rides. I never did get a reason out of him, and even after complaining to the park management, they still did not see a problem with accosting guests and asking them why they were taking pictures.

Oh well, I got my credit and will never go back!

^Yeah, it ran pretty good at Hershey back in the day. In its later years I think it had maint. problems. Joker left Dorney because of Hydra, but you can still get a similar experience on the Huss Rainbow, I think SFA has one, or the 1001 Nachts/Magic Carpet at Knoebels or Kennywood.

Thanks for the TRs, Derek. Both Lake Winnie and Dollywood have escaped my travels somehow. Maybe later this year.

BTW, I'm fairly sure Lake Winnie's Wave Swinger was bought out of Miracle Strip.

-Mark

^ I don't get that either, I've heard of similar issues at Cedar Point.

But I actually REALLY LIKED the people I encountered in security, they were persistent in their jobs yet understanding and polite to me. Tales of two stories I guess.

Bummer you skipped the bumper cars Derek because they are some pretty good bumper cars even though they look totally lame!

I had heard similar accounts of people going on Friday and having the ops suggest they ride over and over and in different seats for nice photos.

Im glad yall had fun at my home park but I really wish they would put in some REAL amusing rides instead of the milder ones cause they tend to get old kind of quick, but it's ok I guess when your bored and have nothing better to to.

Thats very odd about the photo nazis. Maybe they're native American and think you're trying to steal a part of their soul. Wish I could have known/asked permission to film on the Oh Zone, I had a really nice view of the entire layout of Cannon Ball.

The park may have mild thrills, but its more of a classic feel, made for kids before they graduate onto the Six Flags and such. I know the op on Cannon Ball was talking to one patron about how she thought it was odd that the park didn't have any looping coaster and that they should get one. I know I wouldn't mind seeing an old Schwarzkopf show up there...maybe even Thriller!

^^I'm not big into bumper cars. The only park where I will religiously ride them is Knoebels, because they are so hard hitting and heavy. Even Rye Playland's cars left me disappointed, but then again I am usually the one driving, and riding the bumper cars and then leaving for the next destination is never a good idea!

Looks like you had fun. When I was there last July, the security NAZI almost made me stop taking pictures of...the rides. I never did get a reason out of him, and even after complaining to the park management, they still did not see a problem with accosting guests and asking them why they were taking pictures.

Oh well, I got my credit and will never go back!

He thought you were a child molester. I remember that story...lol.

So that is where you went Derek. Nice pics. They have a CP Huntington train also, was it running?

Bummer you skipped the bumper cars Derek because they are some pretty good bumper cars even though they look totally lame!

I had heard similar accounts of people going on Friday and having the ops suggest they ride over and over and in different seats for nice photos.

Joe, when Shannon and I went back to get that last pic of the new Pipeline Plunge sign, I decided to get a pic from Oh Zone. The op had no problem with it, which made me wish I had thought to take more earlier.

JoeBumperCarSmaller.jpg.3d6d8f8424fe8602a16be23c32bda013.jpg

Here's Joe about to get owned by me and that little kid.......or is he?

CBfromOhZone4.jpg.992f3bb43272dbd55b4b14094e9e459d.jpg

Not too bad, but it's unfortunate I couldn't time it with the train in view.

^ Durrr... with the kid ever-so-slightly behind me, had you not been a wimp and ducked out of the way, any impact between you and I would have broguth the kid into the equation and produced a hit that would have sent you into the sky ride's station and resulted in incessant laughter on my behalf

Collision Dynamics, baby!!

Nice report Derek. Too bad you missed the Fly-O-Plane. It's definitley one of the craziest and painful (in a good way) flats I've ridden. I guess they removed it to make room for the Oh Zone but they are supposed to bring it back next year.

^ Durrr... with the kid ever-so-slightly behind me, had you not been a wimp and ducked out of the way, any impact between you and I would have broguth the kid into the equation and produced a hit that would have sent you into the sky ride's station and resulted in incessant laughter on my behalf

Collision Dynamics, baby!!

Yeah, I think me and the camera both realized that at the last moment!

About how far of a drive is it between Lake Winnie and SFoG? (I think I'm gonig a bit overboard in the amount of parks I'm trying to hit this season, but oh well)

I live 15 minutes south of Lake Winnie, and it takes me about 1 1/2- 2 hours (depending on traffic) to get to SFOG.

So that is where you went Derek. Nice pics. They have a CP Huntington train also, was it running?

Yeah, they had the train running, but since the station was on the other side of the parkat the entrance, both times we walked by the train was doing its circuit. I didn't know how long it would take, and we really didn't have much time, not knowing the traffic situation back to Atlanta. Otherwise I would have done that and the skyride.