TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

X:\\ No Way Out

It's becomming abundantly clear that as Thorpe Park continues to grow and expand, that this painful reminder of the park's previous management is becomming more and more irrelevant. So what does the future have in store for this multi-colored Pyramid?

I remember hearing a while back that they were going to completely re-theme the inside. Anyone here know if there's any weight to that rumor?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, it looks like a re-theme will be in the works. Perhaps this means that they'll take out those unneccesary stops in the ride all over the place.

The idea behind X:\ No Way Out was an interesting one at the time, but it's clearly one that doesn't work too well.

The stops, which are infact blck breaks, won't be going anywhere. Without those it would go down from 5 trains ruining at once to two trains. It would impact capacity way to much to ever become a good change.

And X could have been good, it's just it's budget got cut a hell of a lot so they had to do the best they could with what they had.

Its quite clear that XNWO is a ride that trying to be something that it quite clearly isn't (due to the budget constraints back then). But in my opinion, thats all part of the fun. The ride is so bad that its good!

I'm not ashamed to admit that I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread when it opened in 1996. But then again, my coaster count was in single figures back then, and I wasnt really a true enthusiast so was easily pleased! Plus the south east UK was lacking in decent coasters anyway.

At least there were more effects working at that time though, and it had a maze like extended queue line (complete with revolving tunnel) that was so long, people mistook this for the ride, and in its first few seasons, you would enter a 'lift' (fake obviously, but it added to the fun) before arriving at the station platform. What you didn't see what the train entering the station, so when it went backwards instead of forwards, you can guess the reactions from some people. Fantastic stuff. That queueline is now used for the Fright Nights Hellgate horror maze.

One thing the ride has always been lacking is visuals on the block sections. Over the years we've had plenty of sound effects including helicopter noises, voices, mist getting sprayed in your face, robotic noises and more recently a rave soundtrack. They've also add extra quirks over the years as well, like an X logo inteli light in the queue line, strobe lighting in the middle of the pyramid and a rather pathetic disco ball on the lift hill (all now gone). And now whilst ascending the lift hill there is the random sound of a choir of angels....Shame the audio is so choppy! I think its the randomness that keeps drawing people back!

Will be interesting to see how this 're-theme' pans out. It's been a long time coming. I'm 'guessing' the budget will be fairly low. But who knows. Until then, I shall continue enjoying the randomness of X:\ No Way Out.

^^Block brakes after every drop?

Thorpe rarely run 2 trains on Colossus, so why would they run 5 on this piece of sh*te!

I'd like to see the Black Hole replacing it! WOO HOO!!!!

The Black Hole won't be going anywhere. It needs some very costly repairs to bring it up to new Health & Safety regulations in the Uk. Alton + Tussauds decided it was not worth it.

Still, they could re-theme the whole deal to resemble Black Hole in some fashion. Have some outer space effects in there, and theme the whole queue around a space station.

Both the Space station, and lost mine theme are popular for indoor coasters, but the lost mine theme has been done an awful lot lately. Let's see some balance returned.