TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Travel Channel Best of 2006

I seriously think we should make a "top theme parks" type show. Call it the Donkey awards with categories such as "best food", "best place to get credits", "best place with rodents", "best ghetto park", "best park to make fun of", "best death machine"

How about Top 10 Mistakes and mis-information from a Travel Channel show! A few years back they had a special where they had this young girl spend 5 minutes explaining how she alters her height so she can ride coasters that she is way too short for! "First I wear my really big boots and then I put all of my hair up so I am 5 inches taller!"

Btw the reason these ratings are so incredibly stale is how they are judged. People are sent ballots, they fill them out, and send them back. There is really no requirement that they have ridden more than 1 coaster that given year- or any at all for that matter. I know people who are on that judging list that have never been anywhere except Disney & Cedar Point!

They just fill in Magnum as their favorite coaster thinking, "Well it was grat when I rode it 10 years ago and I haven't been on anything better since," is quite often because they have not been on ANYTHING since.

In order to have an actual FAIR vote for these things people would have to actually go experience each of these coasters and then vote- when instead it is a matter of there are more voters in the East-Midwest and therefore CP wins everything!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afeter seeing Magnum as the #3 steel coaster of the year. I had to call Bull S*** on the whole golden tickets thing. Whatever happened to expedition Geforce. Travel channel needs to make a show based on the results from the Rollercoaster poll most of us took back at teh end of last year. Micth hawkers i believe was the name of it. I found that poll to be more credible.

I just think that more people go to Cedar Point than wherever S:ROS is. More publicity, more people to vote for a ride. Besides, this is a vote on the public's favorite coaster, not TPR's preference. People can just think that MF gives a better ride than S:ROS.

Everyone has their own views, and the public has its own, TPR has its own, like I have mine.

I just wanted to say that. I personally don't care what gets said, I just like to see rollercoasters on TV.

I uploaded the show to yousendit for our non-US and cable-less friends. It is only available for a limited number of downloads, so please don't download it if you are in the US and can watch one of the many reruns (for example, it is showing again today, Sunday the 26th, at 1pm EST).

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=380C1ED0FF3ZH1F9MEEM2XUGJQ

I thought the show was terrible. During the Hades segment, they showed clips from Noah's Ark, Timber Falls and Riverview into their description of Mt. Olympus. I thought that was really crappy, and I'm sure the officials at Mt. Olympus didn't appreciate it.

Also, they didn't go into any real description of why Mt. O is a great place to drive Go Karts. They have some really unique tracks, and they showed a few clips of them, but didn't explain any of the cool tracks (like Medusa's Drop, Posideon and Trojan Horse comes to mind).

Also, I hated the graphics for the #3, #2 rides/parks, and especially the winner graphics where they kept flashing the Golden Ticket across the screen. It almost gave me a seizure...Not really, but my head did explode...

All in all, I thought it was the worst amusement park-related show I've seen. I was sorely disappointed in the Travel Channel's poor effort. The only good thing was getting to see some love for Hades and Holiday World's awesome friendliness.

I though it was dumb how they announced the winners. They showed clips of the first place winner and talked about it for like 5 minutes. Then the go in 3rd place is... da da da and in second place is... da da da and the winner of the golden ticket is... drumroll... da da da. And we are supposed to be surprised that it's number one? They pretty much announced it before they even said the winners.

Another thing that bugged me was the waterparks. I live in Phoenix. It gets to be over 100 degrees pretty much every day in the summer here. Now let's look at Splashin' Safari in Santa Claus, Indiana. The average temperature there during the summer months only gets into the high 80's. In Phoenix the summer average is 20 degrees higher, if not more, than that of Santa Claus, Indiana. I just don't get why they have a cool water park while us people in Phoenix a stuck with our crappy excuse for a waterpark. That just gets on my nerves a little bit.

But I thought it was an okay show. Probably about as good as themepark shows can ever get.

I think many of your ideas are worth mentioning to Discovery networks, parent of the Travel Channel. I had already sent a comment to this affect to their page, and encouraged many of my friends to do so here:

http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations

but be aware, they took the "Best of Amusement Parks 2006" show out of their list for shows, so I'm searching for another way to contact them. You could aways just put a different show in there and if enough people keep sending them correspondence, maybe we'll see a show that includes more coasters from other countries as well as different steel coasters. The other problem with this show is it's based on the golden ticket awards, so if many enthusiasts express disagreements with the golden tickets to amusement today, maybe they will change their voting practices. It's a long shot, but some companies listen, so why shouldn't we try it?

-James

I uploaded the show to yousendit for our non-US and cable-less friends. It is only available for a limited number of downloads, so please don't download it if you are in the US and can watch one of the many reruns (for example, it is showing again today, Sunday the 26th, at 1pm EST).

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=380C1ED0FF3ZH1F9MEEM2XUGJQ

Thank you so so so much for it .