TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Smooth on-ride Footage

hybridcoaster

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When he doesnt use the "lipstick" camera. He uses a basic MiniDV camera (sony) with an image stabilizer. On the camera he has a wide angle lense which curves the picture a bit so it isnt so shaky. With the lense, you get more in the picture so you can see the track more. That way when the camera moves, the track always is in the picture.

I think the good handheld onride videos are better than the one with the lipstick camera because you get a better feeling of what the coaster is like IMO. The POV of Goliath @ Walibi world is a perfect example.

I'm always torn between which videos I like better. The lipstick ones REALLY look GREAT and "professional" IMO, but I do agree that the hand held ones actually show off a coasters "personality."

Personally, I actually prefer handheld videos from the back seat.

--Robb

Wait, tell me if i'm understanding this right...

He has an add-on that he tapes to the front with duct tape.

He holds on to the camera while that addon is taped????

Why don't you just go *LOOK* at the photo which was linked to at the start of this thead.

Seriously, does anyone else get annoyed when people keep asking questions that are already answered within the discussion and all someone has to do is actually *READ* the topic to find the answer?

--Robb

Hey Robb. You should look into getting a roll of Gaffer's Tape to tape down your lipstick cam.

A bit more expensive than your run-of-the-mill duct tape, but has a greater tensile strength and leaves little to no adhesive residue behind. (I'm sure the park's cleaning crew would thank you for that)

-Rob

^ The problem with the rolls of gaffers tape (used that at first) is that most of the rolls you get are too big to "squash down" into the small amount of equipment I like to carry around parks.

Basically everything I have fits into my belt pack and a cargo shorts pocket.

So I get the smaller rolls of duct tape that I can squish down. So far, none of the rides have left any residue because the duct tape just isn't on the ride for long enough.

We normally get the shots we need in one or two rides.

--Robb

We should sticky a thread entitled "THE SECRET TO SMOOTH ON RIDE POV SHOTS: WIDE ANGLE LENSES!!!"

The lipstick is pretty cool, but it does give off those color gradation shifts. The technology isn't around to the point where you can get a cheap one that delivers "good" quality video you, I suppose.

So basically, I prefer the tradition POV's better. Robb and Elissa both have really steady hands anyway, so it's not like they're in dire need of strapping cameras onto stationary things to get them smooth.

• 2 weeks later...
I was just wondering if anyone has tried to use like a spy cam or a small pinhole camera that you can mount to yourself?

The lipstick cameras we use range at around $600. They are pretty high quality stuff and are comperable to the cameras used on shows like Fear Factor.

--Robb