TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Drachen Fire Pics

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got tons from all up and down the east coast and midwest and some from soCal (But you have that area pretty much covered ) Let me know if there is anything you need that you do not have pics of. I sent you an e-mail with some of myrtle beach. Would you prefer we post them or send them to you via e-mail?

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22652&highlight=

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22123&highlight=

there are links to other pics I have posted

JEFF

Great stuff! When I get to updating PKD I'll make sure I include some of them.

For the moment, I'm looking for pics for any of the "updated" pages. They are pretty easy to tell apart on the photo gallery page:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/photos/index.htm

If there is just a link to the park, that will take you to the "updated" photo galley page. If there is a list of update links underneath it, I have not updated it yet.

We're getting there. It's a long process and thankfully we've got some help!

--Robb

I hope it's alright to stretch the topic a little, since I have a question..

They removed the first corkscrew, right? But does anyone know why?

I mean, looking at those photos it seems like the least offensive element in the whole circuit!

Surely if pain was the issue, the dreaded "cutback" would have been swiped away before a simple corkscrew?

Especially since the added speed from NOT having that first corkscrew would mean the train would navigate the cutback even faster?!

I don't understand

It was the transition from the 1st Corkscrew to the Cutback that was the problem. they removed the Corkscrew and added an exit ramp so they could bank the turn more but IMO it did not help at all. But then again it was not that rough to me. Every time I went I rode at least 5 times and I did not phase me but the GP that goes to that park expects butter smooth rides. Which is why I believe you will never see wooden coasters there. (that and the noise factor)

JEFF

I have lots of pictures from the following parks:

Liseberg

Tusenfryd

Vidampark

Wiener Prater

Erlebnispark Strasswalchen

Gardaland

Mirabilandia

Let me know if youre interested in any of these, either by sending me a mail or a PM.

• 10 years later...

This coaster looks like the turning point of thrill rides. Although it is rough, the new elements involved within this coaster have inspired modern coasters that we love today (bares resemblance to Colossus). I whish I could have ridden this.

I can remember riding Drachen Fire and leaving that ride nearly beaten up. I wonder if they replaced the horse collar restraints with lap restraints the ride would have been smoother? I'm also thinking about the restraints they use for Tempesto - if that newfangled technology was available back in 1992 would the Drachen Fire be in operation today?

I guess we'll never know.

BTW - Thanks for bringing back another lost, old post.

I can remember riding Drachen Fire and leaving that ride nearly beaten up. I wonder if they replaced the horse collar restraints with lap restraints the ride would have been smoother? I'm also thinking about the restraints they use for Tempesto - if that newfangled technology was available back in 1992 would the Drachen Fire be in operation today?

I guess we'll never know.

BTW - Thanks for bringing back another lost, old post.

I've been saying this for years. Flight of Fear used to have OTSRs, and was (IMHO) even worse to ride than Drachen Fire. The lap restraints turned FoF into an absolutely amazing ride. I really think a similar restraint device on DF would have saved the ride. I actually believe the park looked into that as an option, but decided against it. Cindy Sarko is on the record for that in a few press releases, but all she said was "we looked at modifying the trains, but ultimately decided that wouldn't work out."

If I were a betting man, I would bet the lap bar trains would have made the clearance envelope for the ride a no-go, so they would have needed to rework supports in certain areas (like the helix under the batwing) and just decided that Alpengeist and AC filled the same niche as DF, and cut the ride loose

Almost any change to the restraints would have been an improvement. The horse collars were tall enough to catch your jaw on and lever your neck, but not tall enough to provide support higher on your head, and were about 1 mm of hard rubber over steel. It was a miracle there wasn't many serious injuries. I usually avoided touching the restraints but once they got me and I was concerned my neck was permanently damaged. I rode it many times, not only was it good, it was like a private coaster back there most of the time.

According to a netnews post which appears to have been removed from all archives, the park took X-rays of the structure and saw stress cracks that would have soon required serious work. Both Arrow and the company that did extra structural work (the small tube reinforcements of the inversions) were out of business. In view of low popularity, it was closed.