TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

^I've always wanted to coincide with a band organ rally. Let us know how it was!

it was WONDERFUL. . and most of the carts were selling CDs of the music they were playing.

Some of them were a bit too close to each other, resulting in some bleed (but I loved they used the empty PowerSurge pad for one of em. . of COURSE I got a pic, right next to the sign saying Power Surge was out ).

the place was PACKED. . I mean. . really, really, really packed. It poured last night, but luckily we were able to squeeze in a few of the big things (Phoenix, Black Diamond, Haunted House before it got so bad. . so the only real "wait" we had today was Flying Turns. . and we knocked that out early, so the wait was only from opening, until they got it up and running at around 11:30 am.

when we left, it still had a 2 hour plus line. . not worth 2 hours, but I enjoyed it as the first thing we rode today.

all in all, a great park, and i loved almost all of the food we tried!

^I've always wanted to coincide with a band organ rally. Let us know how it was!

it was WONDERFUL. . and most of the carts were selling CDs of the music they were playing.

Good stuff! I have some albums, myself, though I don't think it's something I'd care to invest much more in. Having the whole authentic experience is more fun, with the records just bringing back some of the memories.

I absolutely adore carousel organs, I wish I could have been there even for that.

They always have one at GroveFest where I live and since it's a travelling one, the condition isn't great, but it still makes great music.

Just got back from the COAA rally and the park was the busiest I have seen it in June. Cars were parked in the overflow parking lots.

A word of warning to anyone wanting to ride the flying turns, or try to get a night ride on the flying turns. Apparently the park as taken the policy of if the line is too long to close the line down before the park closes. They closed the line at 9 PM because it was apparently still an hour wait even though the park was advertised open till 10 PM. This isn't posted anywhere at the park at all. So just be aware you may not be able to get on the ride if you do not get in line early.

I mentioned my disappointment to the PR staff with nothing more then a "meh, that is the policy on this ride".

Right, many smaller parks have these policies due to having less resources. Keeping rides open an hour past closing will require the park to have maintenance staff, ride operators, and managers in addition to many other park workers at the park when many of them have already been at work since the odd hours of the morning. Many of those same people need to be back to the park the next day at odd hours of the morning, so demanding them an extra hour of work has quite the impact on their energy and effectiveness as team members. It may sound selfish, but in reality many of those people needed to keep the park/rides open longer need some time to rest and have some life when they put 15 hours into each day at work. Simply adding more people and resources is not always cost-effective for a smaller park like Knoebels.

Going to be at knoebels a week from Tuesday(27th) for my first time ever and if anyone is going to be in the area and wants to show a rookie around feel free to pm me.

Get their early. As a non-gated park, you can take a relaxing stroll around the park while it's still quiet before things start to open. It's a great way to see the park without feeling like you're missing out on ride time. Ride the coasters either in the morning or afternoon/evening. The park typically only adds second trains if the line gets to a certain point and typically they don't hit that point until mid afternoon. Once they hit that point, with two trains, the lines fly, but if you get their at the awkward time just before they hit that point (usually around lunch), you might find yourself waiting a bit with only one train running. Hit the log flume... I think it's one of the better non-Orlando ones out there...

Great advice. I'll be there on 7/2, down from NH. We'll be leaving PGH in the morning and heading there, so that's a bit of a haul. Any suggestions on hotels in the area? We are kind of Omni, Hyatt, W, or Westin kind of people...best thing I could find was the "Pine Barn Inn"...had some of the best Tripadvisor reviews. Also, anywhere to grab some cocktails mid-day in the area? Nothing worse than a dry park.

Right, many smaller parks have these policies due to having less resources. Keeping rides open an hour past closing will require the park to have maintenance staff, ride operators, and managers in addition to many other park workers at the park when many of them have already been at work since the odd hours of the morning. Many of those same people need to be back to the park the next day at odd hours of the morning, so demanding them an extra hour of work has quite the impact on their energy and effectiveness as team members. It may sound selfish, but in reality many of those people needed to keep the park/rides open longer need some time to rest and have some life when they put 15 hours into each day at work. Simply adding more people and resources is not always cost-effective for a smaller park like Knoebels.

I certainly understand. The biggest problem is that this policy is not listed on the website, or on any signs at the park. I just wanted to give people a heads up.

We usually go 6 or 8 times a year so for me it isn't a big deal. Unfortunately my 6 year old left the park crying because he couldn't ride his new favorite ride. Had I known this policy we might of planned the day differently.

Right, many smaller parks have these policies due to having less resources. Keeping rides open an hour past closing will require the park to have maintenance staff, ride operators, and managers in addition to many other park workers at the park when many of them have already been at work since the odd hours of the morning.

They may not stay open an extra hour, but from my experience Knoebels always lets people already in the queue lines stay there when the park (or ride if said ride closes early) closes. More times than not, the people waiting in the queue lines have already paid for their rides, as the ticket-takers are usually stationed at the entrance to the rides' queues.

Right, many smaller parks have these policies due to having less resources. Keeping rides open an hour past closing will require the park to have maintenance staff, ride operators, and managers in addition to many other park workers at the park when many of them have already been at work since the odd hours of the morning.

They may not stay open an extra hour, but from my experience Knoebels always lets people already in the queue lines stay there when the park closes. More times than not, the people waiting in the queue lines have already paid for their rides, as the ticket-takers are usually stationed at the entrance to the rides' queues.

Yea I had not experienced that before. They had the line closed an hour before the park closed. Considering it a ticket only day (no all day ride bands) it took me by surprise. They usually keep the rides open late on ticket days if there are still crowds.

Hopefully they're just waiting on a sign. I can't think of any reason they wouldn't eventually put up signs in visible locations warning about this like other policies. Most parks seem to post visible warnings, so it's annoying when they don't (or arbitarily close earlier than a posted time). I guess they're expecting mostly locals who are used to it.

I had a similar, but more absurd experience last fall. It was roughly half an hour before closing, so we figured we would ride Phoenix one more time, then do the haunted antique cars to close out the night. When we went to get on Phoenix with 20 minutes 'til closing, both rides were still open. We get off Phoenix with 10 minutes to spare, only to find that they had closed the line for the cars early. Now, I completely understand closing an hour early to keep the staff from having to stay late, but 10 minutes is insane, especially when 4-5 groups MAX would have shown up in that time. We talked to management and got a similar "out of luck" sentiment, so we expressed our disappointment and politely pointed out that closing 10 minutes early with no notice is unheard of and gives negligible benefit to anybody. They've always been pretty good about customer service, but they've been knocked down a few notches in my book. At the VERY least, put up a sign.

Exit 232 (PA 42 - Buckhorn) is probably the best choice because there's a lot of development there - great for getting food and/or fuel on the way out. Lots of choices!

Great advice. I'll be there on 7/2, down from NH. We'll be leaving PGH in the morning and heading there, so that's a bit of a haul. Any suggestions on hotels in the area? We are kind of Omni, Hyatt, W, or Westin kind of people...best thing I could find was the "Pine Barn Inn"...had some of the best Tripadvisor reviews. Also, anywhere to grab some cocktails mid-day in the area? Nothing worse than a dry park.

We stayed at the Comfort Suites in Bloomsburg and loved it.

http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-bloomsburg-pennsylvania-PA393#listpos1

the location isn't fantastic (it's in a parking lot with a Lowes and a Wal*Mart). . but if you get a room facing the opposite side, the view is gorgeous.

all rooms were suites, and had a Microwave and a refrigerator (we stocked up at the Wal*mart with drinks and heated up leftovers in the microwave). The room also had a sofa-bed, and easily could have slept another 2-3 people.

they have a (small) pool and game room on the first floor, and a free continental breakfast in the morning (that was pretty decent for a free breakfast, including make your own waffles, eggs, and biscuits and gravy on the day we ate breakfast there, before driving on to Philadelphia). They also have a bar in the evening in the lobby (in the same area where they serve the breakfast, but we didn't partake).

they also had free internet access with a desktop computer in the lobby for guests to use (that's where I posted my Knobel's update on the Carousel Music Festival from).

best part? it's only about 15-20 minutes from Knobel's and was VERY easy to get to the park and back.

they were pretty full tho, so reserve if you want to stay there. . as they are very close to the fairgrounds.

Anyone know if Power Surge is up and running again, or if it's still in pieces? Will be there in a week and a half and that's one of my favorite flats, I hope I don't have to miss it!

Anyone know if Power Surge is up and running again, or if it's still in pieces? Will be there in a week and a half and that's one of my favorite flats, I hope I don't have to miss it!

we were there less than a week ago -- as of 6/14, still in pieces in the parking lot (behind picnic pavilions) and no apparent work being done on the slab (which was being used for a Carousel Music box).

haven't seen it mentioned, but 1001 Nachts is in pieces as well, with a sign that it's awaiting parts from Europe.

Aww. Too bad about Power Surge. I really hate to miss it...Not like there are a lot of them around in the US. I wonder what the holdup is? Parts for that too?

Has any real ground work started for their new coaster?

I don't think they'll be starting any of that during the season this year, since the attractions it's replacing are still up and running this summer.

I saw a few construction markers around the area last night, but nothing major.

Also had the worst Flyer operator I've ever seen, and it wasn't even one I had seen before. Is it just me, or are there no good Flyer operators left?