TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's causing the U.S Intamin drought?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While Intamin is has been and is working on U.S. projects, I am really curious when we will see another traditional coaster from them and where it will go. I feel like this "drought" might have a bit to do with the fact that two of the largest chains in the country have changed their buying habits. Six Flags hasn't been making as large of coaster investments since 2006 (I really don't expect to see many, if any, giant B&M or Intamin coaster creations in the near future) and Cedar Fair seems more interested in B&M at the moment. I assume we will see a new Intamin coaster at a Cedar Fair before a Six Flags park though.

^I agree with that. In the future, CF will find the need for another record breaking coaster somewhere, and Intamin will be one of the few, if only, companies up for the job. B&M isn't much into experimenting. For the meantime, I expect to see more Wing Coasters, Inverts, and Hypers pop up. They have been what's "hot" for the CF parks.

I feel like this "drought" might have a bit to do with the fact that two of the largest chains in the country have changed their buying habits.

I really wish people would stop saying "drought" because it makes us all look ignorant to the fact that Intamin builds more than just roller coasters. I fail to see it being a "drought" when some HUGE rides like Gringotts, Falcon's Fury, and The Orlando Eye have all opened in the last 18 months. And yes, you're right, buying habits HAVE changed.

For Six Flags, let's not forget the financial mess they were in a few short years ago, and are still in today. Since 2012 Six Flags has only built the following "new" coasters:

2012 - Superman Ultimate Flight

2012 - X-Flight

2013 - YOLOCoaster

2014 - Goliath

2015 - Batman The Ride

2016 - Total Mayhem

That's not a lot of business to give to ride manufacturers over the past few years. I also know that there was a mandate at Six Flags to go with US companies as often as they could due to the exchange rate so that would also explain why fewer European companies have been used and more US companies: Premier Rides, S&S, RMC, Sally Corp, Larson etc....

And how many "new" big coasters has Cedar Fair built in that time?

2012 - Leviathan

2013 - Gatekeeper

2013 - Coast Rider

2013 - Gold Striker

2014 - Wonder Mountain Guardian (which is a stretch)

2014 - Banshee

2015 - Fury 325

2016 - Valravn

So more new construction than Six Flags, although a few pretty large ticket items. But nothing "risky" either. In fact, I'd call most of those fairly conservative and smart big investments.

At the moment, Intamin is busy building crazy looking stuff in Germany, Turkey, China, UAE and working on record breaking rides in Spain and Abu Dhabi. Those are the kinds of rides that Intmain should be working on and that's just not what the US parks are buying right now.

But I'm sure that will change...everything is cyclical.

Edited by robbalvey

I haven't even read the other seven pages. Robb thanks for the thorough and robust comments. Looks like Intamin is not in anything close to a drought. It seems like Intamin is:

A. Still building plenty of things and

B. If there is a dough it is b/c the major players in the US are playing it safe while Intamin is still pushing the envelope with other parks. I feel like the best example of this is Cedar Point. They are building a dive coaster, a tech that is nice and will be a solid ride. It is not very ground breaking the tech is battle tested.

Either way. Robb 1. OP 0.

I will own up to the fact that for me, my initial post was sort of based on jealousy. What Robb says makes sense about Intamin working on record breaking rides in Europe and Asia and that the U.S isn't interested in one right now....however, with that in mind...I do get a bit jealous when I look at rides like Formula Rossa or the Intamin Megalites and I do say to myself "Man, wouldn't that be cool if there was a coaster like that in America?"

Can't even count how many Intamin rides are under construction right now! Their business is the best among all the manufacturers this year.

I think the "drought" is just due to the fact that US market isn't as demanding as pre-2008. Plus other companies are catching up on things that only Intamin can do before. Intamin has been leading the industry for decades and I'm almost 100% positive the next Intamin in US after SkyPlex is going to be "Intamin innovative".

Lots of valid points in this thread and a very interesting discussion.

But I really just came in here to say that when the next Intamin coaster is announced in the U.S., it will certainly be cause for celebrations. It'll happen.