TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Blackpool Pleasure Beach - 24th Sep '05

As I think I mentioned in another thread I'm something of a coaster virgin, despite my advanced years, and so an expedition to Blackpool was planned to pop my big coaster cherry...

The day started out good, with nice weather for the time of year, and the journey went well (the "drive past the burning truck before it explodes" section of the trip being a particular 'highlight', as was the bit where a woman was flashing her breasts from the rear of a minibus - although my wife seemed far less impressed than I). We got to the Pleasure Beach at 11ish and, after a queue to collect out wristbands, entered the park.

As my plan was to overcome any fears of heights and any pesky "you're not getting me on that deathtrap!" ideas I might harbour, the decision was taken to ride the biggest coaster in the park first - Pepsi Max Big One!

So off me and my eldest son trotted to the ride and took our places in the queue. The line contained lots of young kids and other people who would clearly laugh at me should I chicken out, and so I determined not to let my courage fail me and thus avoid the embarrassing "excuse me's" and pitiful stares that would occur should I push my way back down the line. 25 minutes later we board the train - last row, 2nd car from the back. And off we went.

The lift hill is excellent with some fantastic views to the north and south, plus west across the Irish Sea where distant ships and a few offshore platforms could be seen, but before I got much chance to look at anything we were at the top, 213 feet in the air and ready to take the 205 foot first drop, complete with it's 90 degree twist...

Wow! The first drop was amazing, hurtling towards ground at a tremendous rate before levelling out and climbing to the top of the second peak seconds later.

From there it takes a second, shallower, drop before twisting to the right and then looping left for the turnaround. It then dips back beneath itself and takes a series of smaller hills, diving under the lift hill, arching over the park's south entrance (parallel to Big Dipper), and then bending to the left towards the helix. Unfortunately before you get there the experience is somewhat ruined bay a set of brakes that takes much of the speed from the ride and, instead of hurtling around the helix pushed down in your seat by the g-forces, you trundle slowly around it while tilted uncomfortably at a 45 degree angle. It does pick up speed again however and soon you get a couple of great head-cutters as it first dips under Roller Coaster's turnaround, and then dives through a tunnel before rising back up to the brakes before the station. It wasn't a particularly smooth ride and there are a number of places where I got the impression that it would be better if it had more speed as the tilted track longs for you to be pushed into your seat rather than feel like you're sliding out of it. However, all things taken into account, I really enjoyed the experience and wish I'd had time to get another ride.

With my cherry well and truly popped we set of for our second ride of the day - Big Dipper, one of several classic woodies at the park and which I've heard gives good airtime. So much the better then when we managed to get the back seats!

As the train left the (really cool) station and wound around to the lift hill I

explained airtime to my son, therefore adding some boring science into our fun day out. He nodded his head uncertainly at my explanation but soon got a practical demonstration as we took the first drop and we left our seats for what felt like the entire hill! We got this again at the next hill and again as the train plunged beneath Big One to make it's turnaround. Thankfully the seats in Big Dipper (and the other woodies for that matter) are so luxuriously upholstered as to make the landings completely painless - it feels like you're riding in a sofa! After the turnaround the train speeds straight at a glass window, ducking below the building at the last minute and taking a series of nice bunny hops back to the start. Great stuff!

A bit of pizza and pasta (which the twins threw all over the floor) in The Italian Job followed and then it was off to our second classic woodie, Roller Coaster.

Roller Coaster was the tamest of the full size woodies at Blackpool (I didn't go on Zipper Dipper so don't know how that compares) and as well as having the luxurious upholstery of Big Dipper, also gets away with no restraints - no lap bar, seatbelt or anything - but as the car is so deep and comfortable, and as the ride is so nice, you don't feel in any danger. Not much airtime here although the bunny hops on the final straight are nice.

Next on our roster was Avalanche, a really nice bobsled coaster. A short 10 minute queue in the swiss chalet themed station and we climb into a two man bob car in the middle of the train. This was probably the most uncomfortable ride of the day due to the fact that I needed the toilet and had my son's weight crushing my bladder all the way up the lift hill! Thankfully the ride is beautifully smooth, and after a genteel start manages to pick up a fantastic amount of speed as it weaves it's way down the course. The helix is great!

Following this (and a much needed trip to the bathroom) we opted for Irn Bru Revolution, and Arrow launched loop coaster that features BPB's only inversion.

The wait for the ride is great because, after climbing a tall staircase to get

to the station, the gantry upon which the ride is built shudders and vibrates every time the train is launched. The ride itself is very straight forward - a high speed launch out of the station propels you down a tight drop and into the loop, then up an identical hill and back to the platform at the other end of the ride. A short pause and then the train repeats the maneouvre, this time in reverse. It's a short ride but good fun nontheless. The launch into the drop is really nice as you anticipate your stomach hitting the roof of your mouth!

A walk back through the park took us to ride number six, the Wild Mouse.

I can't adequately describe just how much fun this ride is. It's a wooden wild mouse built back in the fifties, and it's utterly insane! After a fairly normal first part of the queue you then find yourself squeezing through a really narrow entrance passage (can't be more than 18 inches wide) as the line continues up to the start point. While you queue you can watch the looks of shock, horror and madness on the faces of previous riders as they get out of the cute mouse shaped cars. The ride itself looks pretty unasuming; it's not very high (probably about 25 - 30 feet tops), and to be honest looks a little run-down, but when you get into the two man mouse car the brilliance starts.

First, after the run out of the station, you get a massive jolt as the lift

chain grabs the car. You then duck your head as, still on the lift hill, you

pass under another part of the track so close that you could reach up and sever your hands under another mouse. But once you get to the top the fun really begins... You get the usual tight switchback turns and sudden drops as a normal mouse coaster, but here taken at insane speeds! It really whips you around the corners and straight at walls, jarring you about inside the car before throwing you out of your seat and threatening to behead you on the cross-beams as it plunges into the dips. This is a really rough ride, but it's just so incredibly deranged as to be the best fun I had all day - I was howling with laughter most of the way around and can't recommend it highly enough!

Our penultimate ride of the day was the world famous Grand National. Some more boring science endurance for my son ensued as I explained the mobius nature of the coaster and how the two trains race each other. I also mentioned the fact that it's the green train that normally 'wins' the race (an outright lie in our case as the purple train beat us to the finish). We managed to sit in the front seat of the last car and so more airtime goodness was promised. After leaving the lift hill I got ready for the traditional hand touching as the trains climb the lift hill beside one another, but no one seemed bothered and so I kept my hands to myself. Pah!

Ater the lift hill the ride is just packed with great drops and airtime through most of the course, including the last surprise drop just before the station.

This was another great woodie. The only downside is that the park owners ought to do something with the spare ground inside the ride other than use it as a storage ground for all manner of stuff. It looked messy and would surely be better if it was themed to match the ride.

Last ride of the day was the much touted worlds biggest dark ride, Valhalla. I'd been warned that this ride gets you wet and so we came prepared with waterproof cagoules. As it turned out you can buy waterproofs while queuing, but hey!, we saved some money!

The ride pumps out some atmospheric music to work up your anticipation as you wait in line and you gradually get closer to the embarkation point. Somewhat worryingly there is a guy with a giant industrial vacuum sucking gallons of water from each longboat as soon as it's passengers get out. Still, not to worry, we've got our cagoules...

Our turn arrives and we jump into the back row of the four row, eight-seater boat. My son's cagoule fails to protect his shoes from the four inches of water sloshing around the bottom of the boat, but ha!, I am nimble footed and instead step onto the somewhat hidden footrest. Luckily, the seats are mostly dry, allowing out asses to remain unsoaked. After the station the boat passes through a fine mist of water before entering the inside of the mountainous ride. I am still dry! After a moment the ride starts up it's first lift hill and all the water from the three rows of seats in front of us now pours over the footrest and engulfs my feet, instantly soaking my shoes and socks with icy wetness.

My legs, torso and head remain dry!

After the lift hill the boat sails past a number of themed scenes, the music

still pumping out around us, before the boat appears to crash out of the wall of the ride. Thankfully we fail to plunge to our deaths and instead a hidden underwater turntable does it's job and we're now travelling backwards! An announcement tells us that we're about to have our pictures taken and then the boat surges down a drop. Gallons of icy water floods into our laps, soaking our trousers from groin to knee. The cagoules have failed to protect our lower extremities!

Our heads and torso's remain dry.

A bit more theming and then the boat is rotated again before heading up another lift hill in almost total darkness. I raise my feet to avoid the water from the front of the boat, but it's no good, and a miniature tsunami engulfs them once again.

More themeing ensues and after ducking to avoid a huge spiked log whirling over our heads we are ambushed by a huge hammer that swings down towards the side of our boat! Luckily our lives are spared when the hammer's descent is stayed by a pool of water. Our dryness is not spared however as the water is splashed over the entire 'crew' of our boat. My legs are now wetter than ever, plus my face is wet as well.

My torso still remains dry.

Blasts of flame and freezing ice rooms pass us by before the final drop and another last soaking ensue. A final indignity as some kind of water volcano erupts on the way back to the station and we get another sudden shower, and then we can disembark and squelch out way back to the

exit. At the exit there is a giant 'human dryer' device which costs a pound a go but does little to dry my jeans or shoes. Having no hair means that at least my head dries quickly of its own accord.

And hey! at least my torso stayed dry! Good job we brought the cagoules, eh?

The ride was a good, if wet, laugh, but it was the most dissapointing of the day due to the fact that so much of it took place in total blackness. None of the drops are illuminated, and while this might add to the suspense, I think I'd have preferred more theming in these areas. Too much hype probably spoiled this for me.

After this we decided to set off home - we had planned on riding Space Invader 2, but we were too wet to bother, and so we left the park having ridden all but three of the full size coasters (Space Invader 2, Log Flume, and Steeplechase). All in all we had a really great day, and having ridden all those coasters, I don't think there's be anything I wouldn't now be prepared to have a go on in future.

bigonefull.jpg.08d282ad7d314f06af6fb1dc955bd226.jpg

The Pepsi Max Big One. It might not be the biggest and fastest any more, but it's still got a great location.

bigonestuck.jpg.95a7bc344dc617352db799ae18a413bc.jpg

The lift hill. Oh dear! There seems to be a problem!

bigone1stdrop.jpg.da7dcd40732eb6a6ddee8344f915ae94.jpg

That first drop...

bigone2ndhill.jpg.fbc21294b3a59aa5390580319fc2f97c.jpg

Big One 2nd Hill

bigoneturnaround2.jpg.1943cb8f95e98fe72b139ce14a4fde6d.jpg

More Big One

bigoneturnaround.jpg.bcd8d6072b10c228557ab8436adbf5fc.jpg

Big One turnaround.

Edited by FishyFish

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More piccies...

bling.jpg.e8f3e6fa3eddc1b247ee9c83584ba50d.jpg

Bling. Erm... That's very kind of you, but I think I'll pass.

spindoctor.jpg.bee8e621fc24d5554d9b8b81cb9715a2.jpg

Spin Doctor. Erm... not today thanks.

revolution.jpg.f9b6d72920d621ed91430f4ece8a4ed9.jpg

Revolution does it's 'thang'. Avalanche, Big Dipper and Big One take up the rear.

revolutionstation.jpg.6251d204b223537196e16491945f361a.jpg

The vibrating, shuddering Irn Bru Revolution station.

avalanche.jpg.7d380327662983aa5692bfd7a6a951dc.jpg

Avalanche as seen by someone with myopia...

rollercoaster.jpg.5005f2a0d915457357f395e2ca40f933.jpg

Wheeeee!!!

rollercoasteradvice.jpg.5779bee0e9475caf92a374afb585b1c9.jpg

Some sage advice...

rollercoastercar.jpg.2e272261ae00a933a4ce6fd884be09ed.jpg

Roller Coaster history

bigdippersouth.jpg.20e2138acb13ae11a1aad1102d257122.jpg

The Big Dipper arcs over the south entrance.

bigdippermini.jpg.14c87d55c4c5fb3cde195be1c3455cec.jpg

Don't drive mini's on the Big Dipper!

bigdipperflame.jpg.979471a16e0dc33cf9b1b0b81dfa5a70.jpg

The famous Big Dipper station and top of the first drop.

The problem with "Pepsi Max Big One" is it does not have any "Airtime" on the hills as it is designed wrong, The 1st drop is good, but after that you might as well go to asleep.

They should of made an Out N Back layout like " Nitro" etc. I don't rate Pepsi Max at all.

The "Wild Mouse" on the other hand is my kind of ride, insane speed and bounching up n down the humps with 90 degree corners. I wish it lasted longer.

The " Nash" is great, and should have listed status. I love the station lightning at night.

The "Big Dipper" is good but should have more "Airtime" on the hills. When riding try the 4-car train as this gives more "slight airtime"

Going to Blackpool at the end of Oct, looking forward to everything apart from "Pepsi Max Big One".

Was the "Whip" working when you were at the park, as it would be a shame to have it SBNO.

And some more...

wet.jpg.2b2f62883fa32cea856e1d42b54bae87.jpg

The cagoule suffered a critical failure! (This is after five minutes inside a giant hairdryer / microwave thing!)

valhallawarning.jpg.92be0a53fbafc51734459f433f0e83bf.jpg

Oh crap!

valhallamacs.jpg.385204435bb90ea79315ef33ddf6a257.jpg

"Do you think you get wet on this ride?"

valhallarules.jpg.32e9764a44f0565342e16acd85b118e4.jpg

Erm...Are you sure this is safe? And surely that bottom line discriminates against actors?

valhalla.jpg.0dceef766d96b581d89a27c582b36f79.jpg

Valhalla - the worlds biggest dark ride (emphasis on the "dark")

grandnationalfinish.jpg.24a48298fedb29dfa2690717bd51b228.jpg

Atrocious "picture of both trains finishing" shot.

grandnationalmarker.jpg.4bda1a02052047a89f4585a3e574b4e6.jpg

Some Grand National history...

grandnationalstart.jpg.6147352c43e1fc72a75147dd2dad63c0.jpg

Grand National - "And they're off!"

wildmousejellyfish.jpg.7c4f978e9014268ae92c19f7a8380595.jpg

The Wild Mouse is so insane that even glowing pink space jellyfish come to see!

wildmouseterror.jpg.a8414e5bc68044bf2ecb8d017e2294d1.jpg

OMFG! INSANE MOUSE TERROR!!!

wildmousefun.jpg.1deccfa6b6c4a8738cbed50861831423.jpg

Mouse fun! - "Is your spine ok, dear?"

wildmouseplaque.jpg.575c22d651dea9f124ebf3f5889d064c.jpg

Some mouse history.

wildmousejerry.jpg.637ed9e46cfb9f148653616017599819.jpg

Awwww. Ain't them little mice cute?

Edited by FishyFish

Was the "Whip" working when you were at the park, as it would be a shame to have it SBNO.

Didn't notice to be honest - it's been so long since I went to the PB that I forgot where it is (isn't it over near Vikingar somewhere?) Because we went with the twins (who aren't two yet and were in their pushchair), I didn't get the freedom to wander around that I'd have liked. Sorry to be no help.

LOL Great PTR!!! Definately great to read your flume ride trip spared your torso I enjoyed the story, I usually drone to my parents about coaster science, nie to see a parent do that to a kid Tell your son I said I was sorry that he had to listen to Science on a weekend! Anyway, thanks for sharing, it sounds (and looks) like you had a great time!

The "Big Dipper" is good but should have more "Airtime" on the hills. When riding try the 4-car train as this gives more "slight airtime"

The four-car train hasn't existed in normal operation for several years now. It's not as important as it was back in the days of pay per ride, with no wristband option. There was only one four car train though I think, due to only three cars fitting on the transfer table at a time.

As for the "coaster history" pic, that sign should read "restored 1937 Kursaal Cyclone car" but they won't change it. BPB like to fool.

The problem with "Pepsi Max Big One" is it does not have any "Airtime" on the hills as it is designed wrong, The 1st drop is good, but after that you might as well go to asleep.

They should of made an Out N Back layout like " Nitro" etc. I don't rate Pepsi Max at all.

Yeah, it does seem to lose a lot of it's oomph after the turnaround (and those brakes kill it). I wonder if it would've been better to build a design that, instead of turning around above the Nash station, instead carried on around the edge of the park? Without the u-turn it would probably be able to keep up it's speed and have some nice interplay with the Nash too as it carries on around.

The "Wild Mouse" on the other hand is my kind of ride, insane speed and bounching up n down the humps with 90 degree corners. I wish it lasted longer.

Wild Mouse was absolutely fantastic! Best laugh I've had in ages! I guess they don't build 'em like that anymore.

enjoyed your TR and pics- (impressed with the pink space jellyfish as well).

Do give the Spin Doctor a go on your next visit - it's nothing like it looks in fact it is quite relaxing - I think you'd enjoy the view- even if some of it is upside down at times

Steve - putting some relaxing spin on the Spin -C

But I'm mad at you for skipping Steeplechase!!!!

Yeah, I would've liked to get that one - it is pretty unique. Still, there's always next time, and I don't suppose it'll be going anytime soon. Maybe I can coincide my next visit with TPR's UK trip.

Thanks for all the kind compliments on my trip report folks. I still have a few piccies I might post, including the on ride shot from PMBO (featuring yours truly looking uncannily like Uncle Fester, and Daniel having "The Fear" plastered across his mug ).

Great report with some great photo's to go with it . Looks quite busy, but sounds queue's were allright, Shame you did miss some of the coasters. :?

Yeah, queue's were all relatively painless 5 or 10 minute waits most of the time. The only exceptions being PMBO, Valhalla, and the Nash (although the Nash was only about 15 mins or so).

I WILL get those missing coasters, don't you worry!