TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Another Possible New Park in Houston (Adventure Pointe)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Adventure Pointe Facebook:

Adventure Pointe will be broken into four different areas - all paying homage to the original Playland Park and the Gulf Coast Region and its history.

-- Exploration Island --

This designated area was conceived from the Gulf Coast area and it’s thriving industry which provides so many careers and technological advancements to surrounding residents and our country through fishing, sugar and oil refineries, import and export and more. The goal of Exploration Island is to support and educate younger generations about this area’s rich history.

-- Lafitte’s Landing --

The Pirate Village will honor the legendary pirate and pioneer, Jean Lafitte, whose crewmates, the Campbell’s, were the first settlers of Texas City. This area will feature pirate themed amenities and restaurants as well as an interactive water ride.

-- The Great Outdoors --

Will be a showcase of the benefits the Gulf Coast continues to deliver, including waterways, rivers, fishing, boy scouts, military outfits and operations. Texas City was home to the First Aero Squadron, established in 1913, and it was from this encampment of early officers that the US Air Force was born.

-- Playland Speedway --

The Speedway and its amenities will transform the thrilling moments experienced by patrons of the original Playland speedway into new memories, paying homage to those drivers and racers who once graced the track. This area will reference the petroleum industry and powered engines – providing education about the energy and resources that have emerged from the Gulf Coast’s industry.

• 1 month later...

Apparently, their big Countdown reveal was this...

ANNOUNCING THE ADVENTURE POINTE ROUNDHOUSE AND THE 4,200 SQFT YEAR-ROUND ICE SKATING RINK.

March 07, 2014 Adventure Pointe

Adventure Pointe will be more than an individual experience – The full-scale theme park will serve as an entertainment destination with amenities and attractions for all age groups – providing a wide range of activities from day to night and all year round.

At the heart of Adventure Pointe park patrons will share in the experience of the roundhouse. The roundhouse will serve as an event center – a designated area dedicated to showcasing how the Slusky family’s historical train collection will be maintained and refurbished.

This communal space will feature rentable banquet spaces for conferences, weddings, dances, civic and company picnics, Quinceaneras, holiday celebrations and an indoor performance venue. In addition to the roundhouse Adventure Pointe will feature a 4,200 sqft ice skating rink.

Manufactured from the world leader in eco-friendly synthetic ice technology, XtraIce, the Adventure Pointe rink will be open to the public year round, giving local residents a place to enjoy the fun of skating for any holiday season.

SOURCE: http://www.adventurepointe.com/?p=3184

Nice to hear news, but don't know if it was worthy of a countdown clock.

^^Yeah, I could see that.

Well, it's not huge for coaster enthusiasts, but it could be worse. I'm always in favor of ice skating rinks, especially ones that don't have to be seasonal (not that I ice skate).

Um, I just have one question, and pardon my ignorance. But are synthetic ice rinks, you know...cold?

But are synthetic ice rinks, you know...cold?

Not really no. It's just a low friction surface made of science-plastics. I played hockey on one once years ago and didn't love it. It's hard to explain. It wears out skate blades faster, I know that. Didn't completely hate it, but it just felt wrong y'know.

However, that was years ago and I have heard that the synthetic ice has improved immensely. Guess I'll find out. Anyways, there is no other way to ever have an outdoor rink in Texas without a MASSIVE energy cost, So I guess we just have to take what we can get, though there are plenty of indoor real ice rinks in Houston.

• 2 weeks later...

^Already been suggested, believe it or not. Lot's of old Astroworld fans on that page, shockingly. And now so has Blue Bell, y'all.

I'm not to particular on type of cuisine myself as long as it's good. I'd rather pay too much for good food than too much for bad food, y'know.

How about miniature loaves of bread?

Aww, yeah I love too see that return and they could work a deal with Mrs. Baird's to make them like they did for Astroworld. People went crazy for it. Of course we could just ask them to have cinnamon bread.

• 1 month later...

^ Love it! The only part that is annoying is my commute to work. I am working on that though. Been applying to jobs like crazy. Luckily companies are actually hiring in my area.

I must be slow - where is this park going to be exactly?

^Texas City is right across the bridge (just northwest) from Galveston Island. So it is a good jaunt Southeast of downtown Houston. Basically, in theme park terms, it's South of Kemah Boardwalk and Northwest of Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier. This is becoming quite the vacation area. It's a significant distance away from the proposed New Caney parks (Grand Texas and Earthquest) as those are a good bit northeast of Houston.

It's actually going to be right beside the Tanger Outlet mall and new Buc-ees which is the exit before Texas City off 45 South. Still probably 25 minutes away from Galveston.

image.jpg.87171c24a8e4de2608c1c8146700ce5a.jpg

It will be right next to the mall