TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The TPR Games Forum Moderators Random Thread

robbalvey

I noticed we don't really have a "general" thread in this forum to discuss random games forum stuff, so I'll start one, and start with this...

This guy is insane...

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1012854#p1012854

Really? The guy isn't going to upload his files unless we can guarantee they would get downloaded and re-posted somewhere? While I don't think that would happen, we absolutely can't make that guarantee.

--Robb

Edited by mcjaco

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was actually going to post something along these lines:

If you've filled out the proper paperwork, by all means forward us a copy, and we'll see what we can do. But coming from a line of family copyright editors, I'm guessing that a creation you made in game produced by someone else, is not copyright eligble.

I'm no Patent officer, but this guy's design takes two already patent technologies and uses them on this ride.

We have the S&S space shot mixed with an Intamin layout, ending with a mechanism also used for Intamin first generation free fall towers.

Seems cool, but nothing is really "new" besides taking ideas and making it into a full blown coaster. . .

Intamin has already made the drop tower type coaster with 13 if I remember right too.

Please keep this thread on the topic of the game exchange. I don't think it's really necessary to discuss one guys warped vision of how the amusement industry works.

-Robb

How is this even remotely fair? You people don't know what I do. NoLimits it only an indication of what it will look like. I've been working with AutoCad, Autodesk Inventor 2010, sketch up since i was 12. So before telling me i have a warped vision of the Industry, know what I do first. It feels like you are already dissing my Ideas without seeing them.

This is what I deleted out of the forum from his last post. If he wants a debate, he needs to set it up separately.

R.D.

QR, I just deleted the entire post.

Sometimes it's better to just remove them, then leave them up. Either way, the Game Exchange probably isn't his best option if he's looking to post what he believes is his own "intellectual property."

He claims his stuff is copyrighted, but he says right on his website that his layouts and trains are "inspired" by other manufacturers' coasters -

Check it out.

In my misguided flaming-headed opinion, none of his designs are worth copying in the first place, and if he really wanted to simulate how they worked, he would've actually used Autodesk Inventor or something similar and animated them instead of using static 3DS in NoLimits.

Using Autodesk Inventor since he was twelve? I only started using it my junior year in high school and I know how to animate that stuff!

Edited by A.J.

I'd say it's a language barrier. There's no way it's copyrighted. You cna throw a copyright symbol on anything, that doesn't mean it is.

This reminds me of the guy that set up a booth at IAAPA this year, and was peppering the forums with his grandiose plans.

I didn't know that English wasn't his first language until looking at his website. I wrote him an email. Here's what I said to him...

I did not know that you were from Holland and I think some of the communication on TPR could be a little bit of language barrier.

I have a lot going on right now so I need to keep this short.

Being 17 years old, you're going to get a lot of resistance from people to take you seriously, myself included, with little to no insight as to who you are.

Looking at your website you clearly have a passion and desire to be in the industry, which is admirable. I myself work in the video games business and I can't tell you the hundreds of letters and emails we get in from 17 year olds who want to be designers every day. And out of every 100 of them, maybe 1 of them make it. Maybe. That is why it's hard to take someone who is only 17 years old seriously. Most people at that age still don't know what they want to do in life, and in many ways have grown little from the "I want to be an astronaut" thoughts of childhood.

I wish you the best of luck. Please do not get discouraged with what is written on the forums. Remember, we don't know anything about you or who you are. If you want respect from the site, you have to earn it, just like anything else.

I hope this helps.

--Robb

I wasn't harsh, but at the same time I think this kid needed to hear that he can't just come and post that he has design ideas and then everyone bows down to him. He may very well make it in the industry, who knows...he might also end up becoming a sous chef....

• 3 weeks later...

I have not had any experience with RCT3 custom tracked rides.

I do have experience with roller coaster and flat ride models using Autodesk Inventor. I just have no idea how to make them CTRs, or else I would! The only thing I have been able to do is convert my models into .3DS, and import them into NoLimits. But, even then, there aren't any textures!

Examples of what I've done:

loopingplane.png.7f87d34ce70f95113107ba80835bcfb9.png

New-age Loop-O-Plane.

discus.png.b98af0368322658118e0794459904a5c.png

Spin-and-spew.

roundup.png.67e6c3d280617d00e44f44eb935b7bc8.png

New-age Roundup.

Those are sweet!

I'm not talking rides. I strictly talking about scenery items. I need angled walls for Horizons, and Universe of Energy.

If you're interested, it might be something we could work on together. I'd love to learn how too. I just didn't have the capacity or the brain power to do it on my own!

^ While I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer or anything, I probably should just post something brief from my experiences with WDI, as I tend to cross paths with them quite often (we just did a bid on a project for them a couple of weeks ago...but I didn't just say that!)

Keep in mind that almost everything that WDI does now is outsourced. Very little, other than project management and initial concept design is done in house. They still do have an R&D team at WDI, which I'm told is EXTREMELY hard to get into, in fact, I know one of the guys who is on that team and they haven't hired anyone new into that group in about 20 years.

Something like Toy Story Mania was developed almost entirely out of house. The video game part of it, the ride vehicles, the light guns, etc, it was all various vendors that were project managed by someone at WDI. And part of the deal when you do a development for WDI is that you're not allowed to even talk about it. On your resume, on your website, anywhere! So whoever developed the video games for Toy Story Mania...you'll never know who it actually was! Heck, it could have been someone you all know really well! But isn't allowed to ever say...

So while working AT Disney is very cool, having been there myself and even worked on the Imagineering campus, I would even go as far to say that I've probably had more actual product developments with Disney by NOT actually working for Disney!

It's just something to keep in mind if Disney creative is a goal for you. They hire mostly managers and high level concept designers. And most of the concept design is more on an art side than engineering. I would say that for most people, the "idea" of working for Disney is by far cooler than actually working for the company. At least in a management or high level capacity (I was an executive producer for them at one point), but you might find that if you are in a field in which Disney outsources to, you could end up working for Disney is a slightly more flexible capacity as a vendor than if you were getting your paychecks cut by the mouse. I far more enjoyed my front line positions I held at the parks.

So if you're into doing 3D modeling, which is awesome, I'd absolutely learn how to texture and animate, at least the basics and have an understanding of both 3DS Max and Maya. Because hiring a concept artist, or someone that can do high level designs for pitch documents (read - working on several projects that will never see the light of day) is a lot more common than people who actually work on rides full time. Most of that is done by vendors.

--Robb "Have spent most of my life working for Disney in one form or another..." Alvey

I basically spent two years practicing 3D modeling with Inventor and Solidworks in high school, and that's why it's my main medium for design concepts as of now.

While I've decided WDI is what I want to shoot for, I'm still extremely crossed as to what I'm "good" at. I've been exposed to so many different disciplines (engineering, sketching, theatre, architecture, music, computers), and I want to find a career that lets me the creative person I've been since I was a kid while being in an environment that I've loved since I was a kid - an amusement park. I'm not jumping the gun and saying "I want to be in WDI and nothing else", but it's my main goal. It would be the best job in the world for me to work in the design field of any amusement park or amusement ride firm, and I'm only seriously stressing WDI at this moment because I'm down here in Florida and I have those opportunities to network at my fingertips.

Thanks for your opinions and experiences, they really mean a lot.

Edited by A.J.

As of now, I'm leaving May 13th. If I stay any longer, I'll be too far behind in my schooling. I have filed an application to stay as a seasonal cast member only because I absolutely adore the location. I plan on taking another semester in a few years to come down there again and work like I am now.