TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster would you rebuild?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opening year Texas Giant SFOT Shockwave SFGAM Hercules Dorney Drachen fire BGW Mean Streak CP and Orient Express WOF. My reasons why are simple all these rides were titans of their time and most were rated very highly for a few years but eventually became the most loathed rides in there individual parks.

image.jpg.8f538948724272c41714fd4accab5be3.jpg

image.jpg.4c56392f3b83c064f06a1c710ef6e2e8.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.9f3c0ffc75ac3f72552d24e30b8d4e48.jpg

image.jpg.baeb79bed5cf191cf2a9fc39215af6d6.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.ce1c97ebc92256585bf43e4f399fb1eb.jpg

image.jpg.28f79349a877fc6f9ed2715c27010585.jpg

image.jpg.553f7bdb406ec71f3c68a045c33f84cf.jpg

image.jpg.ab2a9621cf6d1cfae26fc753c6f3bd84.jpg

image.jpg.5452aba994e1739153ef5e1041d32c08.jpg

As far as going back in time to ride stuff, I'd want to ride Colossus and Revolution at SFMM when they were both new, ride the Beast when it was new, and I'd also go back to 1979 and re-do my trips to KD and BGA (back when KD was still just known as KD and BGA was Busch Gardens - The Dark Continent). The reason for the re-do was because when I was at both parks (was sometime in the late 70's, not sure of the exact year) I was terrified of the looping coasters that both parks had at the time. Even if I had met the height requirement (I guess I was of average height for an 8 or 9 year old) I would have been way too scared to ride and I remember looking at both coasters (King Kobra at KD, and Python at BGA) and thinking of how terrifying they looked and not wanting to go anywhere near either of them. I'd also stop over to the old Circus World and do both coasters (the old woodie and the Arrow looper) that were there at the time, as I had the same reaction to them when I was there in the late 70's.

I'd also like to go back and do the Bat at KI, since it seems to have been so legendary. Also Shockwave at SFMM - would be interesting to see what an Intamin standup was like, especially since I had known people who had ridden it when I lived out there.

Finally, it would be cool to be able to go back to the 1920's and visit some parks of that era, since that was the first "golden age" of rollercoasters, and also some of the interesting flats they had back in those days.

The other thing I would try to do if I could go back in time would be to find my pre-teen self and try to convince her to overcome her coasterphobia way back then so I wouldn't have ended up squandering 20 years of my life avoiding coasters. All I know is my coaster count would be a heck of a lot higher by now!

As for re-builds, I agree with those who have mentioned the Crystal Beach Cyclone and its counterparts of that age. It would be cool to see it rebuilt using modern technology so it would be re-rideable and safe, but still really wild (funny thing that not long ago someone on another forum felt that Skyrush is the modern day incarnation of the CBC - I disagree, but I suppose that might be an interesting debate as to which modern coaster might be the closest thing to it, if there is one).

I have wondered why no park has attempted that so far, but then I realize that parks must market first to the GP and not to enthusiasts, so it would be a poor marketing tool to advertise a new coaster as a reincarnation of the CBC since the GP would have no idea what it was. But even then, you'd think that some ride designer might be inspired to re-create at least parts of it.

Definitely the Crystal Beach Cyclone. I've already been on it's replacement made with its pieces, the Comet, and I love it ! (Even tough they are two completely different rides). Also, I wonder how the most intense coaster in the world was like. Maybe GCI could rebuild a modern, safer version of this lost thriller ?

Edited by booink

The Traver Cyclones would probably be the most intense, but the most rideable would probably be the Rye Airplane and Riverview Bobs.

Terminator/Apocalypse at SFMM stars off a bit like the Airplane, but the rest of T/A isn't at all like that.

My favorite extinct rides I've been on are Texas Cyclone and Hercules (in its early days).

I may get flack for this but I would like to see Flashback from Magic Mountain. I know it was probably a boring coaster but it looks neat.

You aren't alone, I too would like to see this rebuilt. Something about it always just seemed to interest me... I don't know what it is though.

I would also like to rebuild SFGAdv's GASM. One of my first Arrow Loopers and it was really fun when it had its good days.