TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

^ I'm up for that. I've got my pass. We'll meet you guys at X-Flight and ride it. I'll own up to it if it's better than I'm envisioning. If not, you guys probably won't admit it, but we'll know. Nothing serious, just a fun get together. Plus it would be fun to meet other people from TPR that live in the area. I can assure you Joe and I are not bad people, but we have both been on X-Flight, and everyone's entitled to their opinion, right?

-James "when they build it, we will come" Dillaman

^ I'm up for that. I've got my pass. We'll meet you guys at X-Flight and ride it. I'll own up to it if it's better than I'm envisioning. If not, you guys probably won't admit it, but we'll know. Nothing serious, just a fun get together. Plus it would be fun to meet other people from TPR that live in the area. I can assure you Joe and I are not bad people, but we have both been on X-Flight, and everyone's entitled to their opinion, right?

-James "when they build it, we will come" Dillaman

Actually, I haven't been on it yet. But, I'm not a fan of Vekoma, flyers, or rides that break a lot. So, we'll see.

Can they really be worse than Paramount or Six Flags? Believe me, be glad KI is owned by CF now, it is definatly the lesser of the evils.

hey, there are some Six Flags parks that do a good job with their wood, and even Paramount had some well-maintained rides. ALL of the Cedar Fair woodies are going to hell if they aren't there already...

I agree this move sucks mainly because these rides blow in terms of reliability and capacity, and I can't believe its getting so much attention with other great rides being built this year.

I'm just pissed this will add 2 hours to my day when I visit PKI

Yeah, I think El Toro and Viper (SFGam) are two good examples of SF woodies that blow away CF woodies. We'll see what happens with Renegade.

^The only reason I can think of is that a lot of coaster enthusiasts are interested to see how Cedar Fair deals with their newest acquisitions, and since KI seems to be receiving X-flight, I guess it is a topic of interest. But I agree, X-flight was an average coaster with bad capacity. It doesn't "deserve" this attention, but under the circumstances it makes sense. Plus, as crappy as X-flight is, Geauga Lake is still more or less a major park and whenever there are large changes to a park's line-up, there's going to be some chatter

^Then perhaps a GL roadtrip is in order this summer, Joe. You could take your wife (is it weird to see that still??? ) and I'll bring my fiance.

-james "actually, we should go to kennywood instead, screw GL " Dillaman

I've got free accomodations if we decide to go to GL. My aunt lives just up the road.

You know what I think sucks?

That this thread actually is 26 pages long. X-Flight is a so-so coaster which was removed from a below average park. Why is it getting this much attention????

Can I get an AMEN!!

You are preaching to the choir buddy. This ride sucks and the park is an absolute capacity nightmare. Late 80's early 90's this was by far my favorite park. Now it is in my bottom 10.

You know what I think sucks?

That this thread actually is 26 pages long. X-Flight is a so-so coaster which was removed from a below average park. Why is it getting this much attention????

Because CF is stating that they are trying to get more people to GL yet they take out the parks star attraction and send it to a park which they bought no less than 5 months ago...it's like them taking out TTD and sending it to PGA.

Yeah, I think El Toro and Viper (SFGam) are two good examples of SF woodies that blow away CF woodies. We'll see what happens with Renegade.

El Toro is definatly a different type of woodie. The Intamin method in wood coaster production has resulted in a wooden coaster that doesn't require much maintance. It isn't that Six Flags is better at maintance, its just that that ride is designed so it doesn't need it. And in defense of CF woodies, did you ride Blue Streak or Raging Wolf Bobs this year? They ran 10 times better than any Paramount woodies I rode this year. Villain is getting retracked. Mean Streak is just a terribly designed ride, it isn't the maintance. Not sure what happened with Ghostrider, but I'm sure it will be getting some work. I've never rode Viper so I can't comment on that. It seems the major theme park operators don't do very well with woodies. Only the small family parks like Holiday World seem to give them the TLC they need.

I am not happy about X-Flight, but at least it is something. It will take a few years for a better coaster, like a B&M or Intamin, to come to KI. But seeing as KI is #3 in the top grossing CF parks now, it won't be forgotten. As much as the ride sucks, the general public will ride this ride.

Because CF is stating that they are trying to get more people to GL yet they take out the parks star attraction and send it to a park which they bought no less than 5 months ago...it's like them taking out TTD and sending it to PGA.

Its hardly the same. I think this is more Paramount's doing than CF. They are just going along with Paramount's planned improvements. Paramount wanted XF for KI and thats why its going there. You can't design a coaster and everything that comes with it in the 5 mounths CF has owned KI. Now they did let it go from GL, but we've had this arguement before. GL doesn't need 10 coaster for the amount of people they are getting, especially one as costly as X-Flight to operate.

I doubt X-FLight was in their plans seeing as they gave it to Six Flags after all of the problems Stealh had.

Well then explain Borg Assimilator. How could Cedar Fair plan all the things that go into a new coaster in such a short amount of time? Believe me, Paramount planned this ride.

No way was X flight the star attraction of that park. The only reason it seemed that way was because it takes 10 minutes to load a train so it always has a line.

It was the star attraction.

Sure Batman KnightFlight is a great ride, but X-Flight was amazing.

In the Whacked-out rumor category: When stopping at the speedway station across from GL, the attendant said they were putting in a Cracker Barrel restaurant where X-Flight used to be. I don't see this happening, but i thought i'd throw it out there.

No way was X flight the star attraction of that park. The only reason it seemed that way was because it takes 10 minutes to load a train so it always has a line.

It was the star attraction.

Sure Batman KnightFlight is a great ride, but X-Flight was amazing.

In the Whacked-out rumor category: When stopping at the speedway station across from GL, the attendant said they were putting in a Cracker Barrel restaurant where X-Flight used to be. I don't see this happening, but i thought i'd throw it out there.

I'm pretty sure that its going back to a parking lot.

I really believe that it is pretty far-fetched to be saying that Paramount had planned to move X-Flight from a park they didn't even own especially since they had just added a new coaster in 2005. Yes, Cedar Fair bought the park last May, and took over a few months later, but that doesn't mean that they didn't already begin planning for what they were going to do once they took over the place. Hell it would be stupid to buy the place, wait for ownership to change hands and then say "uhhh... now what do we do?"

I really believe that it is pretty far-fetched to be saying that Paramount had planned to move X-Flight from a park they didn't even own especially since they had just added a new coaster in 2005. Yes, Cedar Fair bought the park last May, and took over a few months later, but that doesn't mean that they didn't already begin planning for what they were going to do once they took over the place. Hell it would be stupid to buy the place, wait for ownership to change hands and then say "uhhh... now what do we do?"

Thank you! I'm glad that I'm not the only one that smells a rat here. Somehow I don't believe that CF is truly honoring Paramount's $12 million capital plan for PKI for 2007. They're turning my home park into a dumping ground for secondhand Vekoma

Why is it far fetched? The move from GL to KI certainly showed that Cedar Fair wasn't against getting rid of X-Flight. KI needed a thrill ride, and i believe the most recent clear thrill ride at a Paramount Park was Borg Assimilator. Paramount usually does similar rides at all of their parks so buying X-Flight and themeing it as Borg Assimilator makes sense. Cedar Fair said they'd honor Paramount capital improvements. I don't think they could put together a coaster in that short of time.

Thank you! I'm glad that I'm not the only one that smells a rat here. Somehow I don't believe that CF is truly honoring Paramount's $12 million capital plan for PKI for 2007. They're turning my home park into a dumping ground for secondhand Vekoma

You know as well as I do people will still like this second rate ride. I'd say Face Off is probably KI's 2nd most popular coaster. Its not like Paramount would be putting in a great coaster anytime soon.

Why is it far fetched? The move from GL to KI certainly showed that Cedar Fair wasn't against getting rid of X-Flight.

I never said they were against moving the ride, and really they aren't getting rid of it, just re-distributing it. Taking it from a park that doesn't bring in a million people a year and putting it in a 3M park

I don't think they could put together a coaster in that short of time.

Is the time frame really much different than any other coaster? Look at BORG is closed in September of 03 and re-opened in April of 04. Remember a lot of the process in building new rides is designing them - that part was already done!

I am sorry for ginzo, I would probably cry if Cedar Fair took over my home park.

Is the time frame really much different than any other coaster? Look at BORG is closed in September of 03 and re-opened in April of 04. Remember a lot of the process in building new rides is designing them - that part was already done!

Thats right the designing was done. It was done by Paramount before CF took over. CF couldn't have designed the new area for the ride in the time that it bought the park.

I am sorry for ginzo, I would probably cry if Cedar Fair took over my home park.

Why? Yes you might lose some original themeing and some classic rides, but CF is definatly at the top of the major amusement park operators (other than disney). You will get a clean park, quick operations, and a good B&M or GCI. I think thats a pretty good deal.