TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I think you all are on the right track (no pun intended) with the redoing of Halloween. My first thought was a head chopper added as well. When I go back to the blueprints that were behind one of the coaster cats from the wish list video, it almost appears as if the legend actually runs underneath itself near the station. Maybe I was looking at it wrong, but that would mean some realignment of the paths right there near The legend and Halloswings. Also, I too am wondering what is underneath the black plastic bag in this newest pic... Also if you look just the right right of the first drop of The Legend I can see a tall pole sticking up. I can't tell if it's just a light pole, or maybe a crane working near the first drop. Kind of hard to see and tell.

So After hearing all the things they are teasing and all the work they are doing, I really think they are revamping the whole Halloween section. They are reprinting the Hallowswings with some new colors, they could be working or even changing frightful falls, they have been working on the legend and I assume the Raven. I wonder if they do completely revamp this section if they will actually change the Legend drastically in parts to make it a "new marquee ride". Revamping this section and possibly altering/adding rides could really help to slim the crowds in thanksgiving and make it a little easier for the workers and the guests

I also think that Halloween is getting revamped. Halloween Weekends are a big deal, and a revamped Halloween section would be perfect for that. They mentioned planning new events, so maybe they are going to add more things to Halloween Weekends once the Halloween section is upgraded.

Hallowswings is getting an awesome paint job. I have been wondering if they will move it to make is move visible. I saw in the background of an instagram picture that they have painted the Halloween section sign. It kind of looked like it had been moved a little bit, but I think it might just be the angle. If the sign has been moved how it look to me in the picture, then the section with the Christmas rides would be turned into Halloween. But then where would the Christmas rides be moved to?. I really think it had to have just been the angle of the picture, so I haven't thought too much about this possibility.

If this is even possible, I think they will alter the steep hill between Halloween and Christmas. About a week ago, they reposted an old blog post and it said something about "one less hill to climb". It made me think of that hill.

Edit to add the instagram picture:

I love Holiday World and I go at least twice a year, but that hill going from next to the Raven and the Scrambler up to Christmas after a long day of riding is an absolute pain. I would not complain at all if they rebuilt the entire infrastructure of the Halloween section. It could be possible to move the Christmas children rides to a new place. What if they built a Christmas Eve section by thanksgiving, where they could build an intermediate coaster like Firechaser Express. *cough* Santa's Sleigh Ride *cough*. I could honestly see them moving them somewhere more convenient like the center of the park (replace Raging Rapids with a new kiddie Christmas section and build a new Rapids where PP was) and then you could move Hallowswings to that open spot and maybe a new couple rides in the next few years.

I just want everyone to keep this in mind as well... I forget where I read this, but whatever they are doing to The Legend is actually something Will had wanted to do himself. So it's gotta be some element or whatever that was around back then and not something that is new technology.

EDIT: Paula do you see this? You are driving us all crazy!!! I hope you know that lol! Only you can help! Please send help for us!

This doesn't matter too much, but I was just looking through pictures on my phone and it looks like they painted the Halloween sign sometime last season. I have pictures of the sign in May before it was painted. Then I have pictures in June and I think the sign is missing (or the picture is a weird angle). I didn't notice it missing when I took the pictures. And then starting in August I have pictures where the sign has been painted. (I wasn't taking millions of pictures of the sign, it just happened to be in the background of lots of my pictures.)

edit: Actually now I see pictures I took in early August that look like the old paint, and pictures from late August that are the new paint, so maybe it was painted in August. I guess it doesn't matter. I was mostly looking at the pictures to compare to the instagram picture to see if it was moved, but I am not sure about that either.

I think I am seeing something when I am looking at the Splashcam. Move the camera back and forth between the Voyage lift hill view and the Raven & Legend view. I can only catch a quick view of something when the camera moves from The Voyage to The Raven & Legend view.

ANNOUNCED:

- Retracking of Legend (working with GCI) for "smoother ride and additional airtime"

- Additional support structure on first drop

- New THEMED tunnel underneath Frightful Falls

- Reprofiling of helix exit to include a double down

- Extensive track work on Voyage

Full details here:

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2016/01/14/the-legend-reborn/

Graphics of Reprofiling of helix exit and turn before Frightful Falls:

image.thumb.png.6f953307d8b4b7b0426d51e885e7c865.png

Helix exit

image.thumb.png.5099f5cf998040b8abd9c652eca9c13d.png

Turn before Frightful Falls

If they were switching trains, they would have announced it. They're lowering the turn right after you come under the lift and that turn already had some very strong laterals, so most definitely it'll get banked, but I'm guessing it'll carry about the same amount of laterals while getting more airtime going into the new tunnel.

Wow! A new double down on Legend!! And in a good spot too. The spot being renovated was the big dead spot on the whole layout. Should be a fun addition!

Whoever it was that said "Getting Closer Interested" meant GCI, you nailed it haha. This is exciting! It'll be Holiday World's first venture with GCI!

After thinking about it, the new tunnel's location makes a lot of sense, because it's going under Frightful Falls. Anyone who's ridden Legend may remember that water trickled down onto the track and occasionally riders would get splashed with water. Some water would also collect on the track and be soaked up by the wood. I can see why that would create some problems, so the tunnel should have some good functional use too helping the water run off to the side.

Edited by SFOGdude25

^^ New trains rarely ever make a ride better. Those heavy PTC's are going to carry a lot more speed through the double down, which means more airtime

I'm interested in the podcast, but I'll decided what my interest level is after I listen to a couple of shows. I think their primary audience is going to be enthusiasts, so it'll be interesting to see what they talk about, since they're so secretive about what they're going to do in the future.

I'm hoping for various interviews from various department heads in the podcast. I wouldn't expect a weekly podcast, because they do have secrets to keep, but I could easily see monthly podcasts having plenty of content. Think the Holiblog only with more information directed straight at fans/enthusiasts rather than the general public.

The one thing I'm not sure about is who the heck on their staff has enough time for producing a podcast! I mean all the likely people are already extremely busy people.

Edited by HolidayWorldFTW

I'm excited for Holiday World's 70th anniversary! I'm happy to have been a part of seventeen years and I hope to be here for so many more! I am very pleased that they are doing a lot of work on The Legend and I will actually be excited to ride it this year! I feel like it's a smart move for them to hopefully pull the crowds away some from Thanksgiving and Splashin Safari. I will not be surprised at all to see an extreme amount of theming throughly the park next year and maybe the relocation of a ride or two. I'm so excited to go and see all the changes and additions that they are making. I'm so happy to cal this my home park.